The Dark Mod Forums

Smaller HUD?

soopytwist

I find the light gem too large, especially on my massive monitor. Also when it's bright I loose definitiions in the blacks making it harder to see in dark areas. Any way to shrink it?

I made a mod for Deadly Shadows that shrank the HUD and moved elements to the very edges of the screen so it wasn't so "in-your-face", I'd like to do the same with The Dark Mod, including the tips pop-up box - this needs to be smaller too.

I don't remember exactly where the definitions are, but I suspect they are in the gui pk4. Copy the pk4 to some other location, rename it to a .zip and start looking through the gui files. Make your changes there and then repackage the files in your zip and name it back to pk4. Just off the top of my head, haven't look at them in awhile. :)

You can turn the lightgem off and make the icons more transparent in the settings menu, but to resize them you'd have to play around with the .guis.

I found the model for the light gem but in a format I don't recognise, SDK anyone? I assumed the light gem would be a dds texture I could just resize/change. I've turned it off for now and changed opacity for the rest of the HUD. No light gem makes the game a bit more hardcode though!

EDIT

I fiound the dds files for the light gem and reduced them by 50%, unfortunately the light gem now looks like this:

saintlucia_2013-11-09_145635_zps94010fd9.jpg

BTW if you use 7zip you don't have to rename the pk4 to zip, just open the archive, extract the file(s), make your changes then drag them back into the open archive to save.

Edited by soopytwist

Oops! My bad. I forgot to generate mipmaps!

Well, it worked but the light gem is the same size, albeit rougher looking because though I reduced it by 50% the game has blown it up to original size so it looks all pixelated. So it would seem reiszing the dds files isn't going to work.

Perhaps there's a "scale" command I can insert in the tdm_hud.gui? I've used scale params before but in ini files.

LOL, I forgot about the canvas size.

Now the light gem is 50% smaller but even though I saved the dds with mipmaps and a transparent background it now looks like this

training_mission_2013-11-09_154034_zpsbe641b55.jpg

If a developer is reading this, did you use DXT1, 3 or 5 for the alpha?

Edited by soopytwist

DXT5. answered my own question. I do that a lot.

Check it out!

training_mission_2013-11-09_155027_zpsa7744c79.jpg

If anyone else wants this I've put it in my Dropbox. Just back up tdm_gui01.pk4 first, then copy this new one into your darkmod folder. The file is approx 24Mb because of everything else that's in it. The dds files I modified only come to 710Kb. If you're a dabhand at adding files to pk4 archives then I'll upload just those dds files for those who's internet connections are crap.

This may be useful for like-minded people & it's buried here.

It might be a good idea to make a wiki page for fan-made unofficial tweaks & put a link there.

edit: I did a search & couldn't find anything, so I made the skeleton of a page for this.

Is it a good idea or not?

http://wiki.thedarkm...official_Tweaks

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Just installed this, and having a smaller light gem is actually really neat; only thing is (and sorry to sound picky), the crouch indicator no longer works. Any chance of getting it to work? Can I adjust something in my settings?

I didn't know there was such a thing? I've not seen one prior to modding the lightgem.