The Dark Mod Forums

Combat...I die instantly

soopytwist

Well not quite instantly, about two hits and I'm down. I can't get my head around the combat at all and it's set on Normal.

In the training level I failed straight away and about three times before I gave that up. Is blocking actually supposed to work? because it doesn't seem to do anything, also they appear to be able to inflict damage quite a distance from me, a distance that they can hit me with and I can't hit them. I now spam quick save all the time so if combat does happen I just reload to avoid it.

While I avoided combat with guards in the orginal Thief games I was always quick to despatch zombies and haunts but they're too tough now as well.

If you're going to make combat tougher at least come up with a better fighting mechanic, something like Skyrim if possible...without the spells obviously.

There's nothing wrong with the fighting mechanic--it's the same one Mount and Blade uses. Guards are tougher than you, though, and some of them DO have a longer reach, because they're using longswords.

Blocking works fine, but you have to wait until the guard starts his wind-up before you block (I assume you have auto-parry on), otherwise he'll still be able to hit you.

I'd recommend going back to the training mission and practicing. The guards there actually stand still when they're attacking so it's a little easier to learn (you can just back out of reach if necessary).

• Like 2

If you block before the AI chooses its swing, it will just pick a swing that gets around your block. You have to choose it when they wind up to swing. If auto-parry is on it shouldn't take long to get the hang of it.

I'd responded to a previous thread about this agreeing, as the first guy in the training mission slaughtered me in two hits, I was unable to parry him set to auto, and he parried anything I tried (or simply struck when I went to swing, so I was dead before my blow could land).

"...you need only to time from the enemy's backswing..."

This is the key to parry. Hitting parry will not parry. It's counter-intuitive, but you need to NOT parry and wait. Once the opponent actually starts their swing, THEN hit the parry button. Perhaps it should be written, "...you need only to time after the enemy's backswing..."?

You'll still die if you try to hit them, as they'll simply strike you while you're swinging so can't parry, but you might feel more survivable? ;-)

There are several provided alternatives to trying to be a trained warrior, quicksave/quickload, flashbombs, arrows to kill them before they even know you are there, although I've found it more fun to sneak by everything, if you kill it all, it removes the challenge of sneaking around and ends too quickly.

PS: Just noticed page six of the training mission mêlée book's text is cut off at the bottom.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Auto Parry is on and it doesn absolutely nothing

If I wait to block it's fine

So is parrying working or not?

I'm also not able to win any fight against the ai. But to me it's fine, as I guess it is the way it is suppossed to be. I saw some videos where players were blocking the ai's attacks without problems, so I guess it is basically a matter of timing and practise.

If you think combat is too hard, it may be more benefiting if you spend your time in practising the skills you need to avoid combat ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

(Note auto parry doesn't mean your character automagically parries everything always, it means when you parry, it chooses the correct direction of the four possible incoming strikes.)

LOL, great pic!

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

It isn't just the fact that TDM/Thief punishes you for getting into fights that makes me love it so; it's the fact that it rewards you for running away and hiding. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Like Obs, I usually never win in a fight, but some of the best gaming moments I've ever had, ever, in all the games I've ever played, have been the times I've been discovered in Thief/TDM, followed by me running away and hiding. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

In case I haven't made it clear, I think running away and hiding = :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:. Yes, seriously.

• Like 1

*nods, I went from, "uh oh, someone spotted me; hit reload before they even swing" to "uh oh, spotted; hit the flashbomb key and close my eyes" to "uh oh, about to be spotted, move away".

I've also taken to doing missions without killing/conking anyone out, so even if I could hurt an AI, would be counterproductive to my fun!

PS: Strategic positioning also helps, corners are okay to not get snuck up on, but if they find you, you can't run away with them blocking you! Now just like driving, you keep aware of your escape option to steer to in case something bad happens, I try to position to keep more boltholes available.

I really enjoy the combat system in TDM. If I have auto-parry on, I find the combat too easy. Give it some practice and you too might find yourself in need of turning auto-parry off, in order to enjoy the combat, or to feel a greater need to flee.

Edited by SirGen

I just tried this and going from easy to Expert is fine with auto-parry on. When I tried Master it automatically disables auto-parry, and I die with one hit, this is fine for me. Combat is really easy in this game last night I did a speed run/murder run through of a map and killed 17 ai in less than 10 minutes with no health potions on Expert combat. There was 1 person left that I couldn't get to, they were behind a locked door and wouldn't come out.

The trick is to figure out how the AI fights and exploit weaknesses, like in any game. A tip if you haven't noticed yet, is to aim for the head, most AI go down in 1-2 head shots with the sword. Good luck.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I had a small problem with the sword fighting in game for a small while too, but with a little bit of practice I found it tolerable. It certainly keeps you on your toes, an extra incentive to not be caught. I feel it compliments TDM very nicely.

Just, please, don't consider a Skyrim-like melee system, that game has a truly horrendous combat system, if not one of the worst.

• Like 1