The Dark Mod Forums

Patch Rendering Problem

grayman

I have a patch of water falling into a body of water.

It displays like this:

post-3633-0-04728800-1384476202_thumb.jpg

The area marked in red is where the problem is. As far as the eye is concerned, the falling water is in front of the still water surface, but it's rendering as if it's behind.

Is this a renderer issue that's correctable, or are we just stuck with it? Is there any way to force the patch of falling water to be rendered properly in the z-buffer?

Thanks.

This is how the water shader works. It's a post process. It might be possible to add a different sort order attribute to the material. Will take a look.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Try this:

// vim:ts=4:sw=4:cindent
// Tels 2010-09-23:
// Water shaders modified to support parm5 = wave speed (texture translation and vertex wave speed),
// and parm6 (vertex wave height)
// The default values for parm5/parm6 are 0.1 and 1.5, so the formulas reflect this.
// (( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) Acts to set the default expected of parm5 to 0.1, however if parm5 is specified it will use that rather.

// Author: lloyd
textures/water_source/water_clear
{
qer_editorimage textures/water_source/w_c_ed
discrete
nonsolid
water
twosided
translucent
sort decal

deform turbulent sinTable 0.0175 (time * (( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) * 1.5) 10
{
	vertexProgram heatHazeWithMask.vfp
	vertexParm 0 time * (( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) , time * ((( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) * 5)
	vertexParm 1 (( parm6 + 1.5) - (( parm6 || 0) * 1.5))
	fragmentProgram heatHazeWithMask.vfp
	fragmentMap 0 _currentRender
	fragmentMap 1 textures/sfx/vp1
	fragmentMap 2 textures/water_source/vp_water
}
{
	blend blend
	map textures/water_source/water_clear
	translate 0.01 * sintable[time * (( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1))], 0.01 * sintable[time * ((( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) * 1.25)]
	alpha 0.01
}
}

Edit:

This probably wont work.

We need Sikkpin's fix:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25444&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Try putting "sort 101" or higher into the waterfall material.

Anything that uses _currentRender ( this includes refraction ) gets automatically set to sort value 100 by the engine.

The downside is that this might make the surface not play well with fog.

Or alternatively don't use a water shader that is mainly based on refraction.

Could you just have the water patch hit the water brush surface, then mask the interface with some fancy water splash particles?

The waterfall patch stops at the water surface. I do have a splash particle emitter there, but I haven't gotten around to looking for something more "splashy" to hide the clean line at the point of impact.

• 2 months later...
Anything that uses _currentRender ( this includes refraction ) gets automatically set to sort value 100 by the engine.

The downside is that this might make the surface not play well with fog.

Does this address the issue of water distorting things (like player weapons) that are in front of the water?