The Dark Mod Forums

Models That Need Attention

Springheel

can you apply a bit higher smooth value to the model?(those edges should go from the cylinder)

otherway it looks great

and take a look at the list.. i've uploaded some more models,dontknow if you noticed them

Edited by _Atti_

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

atti can you generate a normalmap for the small chest for me? it tried to do it myself but the programm I'm using (ORB) generates only half of the normalmap for some reason :rolleyes: the layout of the uvw-map doesn't really matter for such a simple object :)

Edited by BlackThief

Try Doom 3's own renderbump command.

I think it depends on the size of the resolution; I believe D3 can only generate normals which are smaller than the resolution, so you'd need to set a silly custom resolution of 1024x1024 to get a normal that size. I think. Or perhaps that only applies in windowed mode...

I tried to use D3 renderbump, however I've some problems with the material-shader. I tried the one from iddev.net , but always get the warning:

WARNING: unknown general material parameter '[' in 'models/test/chestrenderbump'

surface 0, shader models/test/chestrenderbump

renderBump =  (no action)

0.00 seconds for renderBump

and when I delete all '[' in the shader I get another warning. can you post your shader, fingernail? would be easier than hours of trial and error ;)

Edited by BlackThief

...but it could be that you have to name the surface of the model with the same name as the material in the material shader... and of course UV map the low poly.

that's logic - the lowpoly is of course uv-mapped and the material has the same name as the shader in the mtr. I found a shader on D3world.org - unfortunately I get another warning now and D3 freezes <_<

edit: got it working, however the normal looks a bit strange. maybe there's something wrong with the uvwmap of the chest - I'm gonna remake it.

edit: why is the file-attachement thing gone??

Edited by BlackThief

The lock will have to be a separate model anyway if it's for anything other than show.

lovely! is that 256x256 for a box that size?

not yet - I'm always working with twice the size than the final-texture will have.

The lock will have to be a separate model anyway if it's for anything other than show.

ehm, I don't think so - why should a lock like that be a seperate model? that would be really overkill.

If we are going to have T2 style locks that can be picked, then they will have to be separate models so they can have moving parts. Unless we model a different lock for every kind of chest.

these kind of chests didn't have moving parts in T2 and don't have visible moving parts in RL as well - it'd look really ridiculous if we'd add something. but locks like that aren't very difficult to pick anyway so it won't be too hard to pick them only with sound clues.

Oh, is that the small jewellery box? Sorry, I thought it was a larger chest.