The Dark Mod Forums

Gamers Have It Easy These Days...

Domarius

I honestly knew you were going to try and pick my argument apart with that oDDity. It's not a contradiciton. I don't consider the fact that I don't always play the game at a snail-like pace (to avoid every little pitfall that I might come across) a lack of confidence. It's more a lack of patience than anything else. So, due to my occasional lack of patience and the resulting carelessness, I might make a mistake. Has nothing to do with confidence. I'm very confident when I sometimes barrel my way through a level :) (Okay, "Barrel" is loosely used. It's somewhere between faster than a slug, and slower than 'full speed ahead.')

I'm a very careful Thief player, but not the most careful. This is on purpose. This is a decision which has nothing to do with confidence. If I played even more carefully, I'd have no problem with never saving. I just don't usually play Thief like I have an O.C.D. where I have to get through a level perfectly the first time, without error and without saving.

I agree that going from Pt.A to Pt.B is the fun. However, it can also be tedious. That big level in Thief 2 with all the green wearhouses was tedious when I first played it. The end of that level couldn't come soon enough for me. I guess I just get A.D.D. or something; I dunno. But I've grown into the mindset where I don't want to re-do things and I don't always want to walk around like a sloth.

I also would have no problem with having an autosave every 30 minutes. But I'd still be sad that I couldn't later jump right to a part I really liked to replay it again. (The ghost in the library of Thief 2 comes to mind. i saved right before that part and loved replaying it a few times.)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can't see a pictiure of a pussy without having a wank, then that's your problem...

I take it the IT guys come up to wipe the monitors after you've 'come across' this indecent stuff?

Its the office way to make sure we wank on our own time and not on theirs. Most workplaces ban nudity, and look through what you've been looking at to make sure you aren't wasting too much time.

oDDity and Darkness, I'm talking about the a middle ground in between the two extremes. Sure there is tediousness but without some kind of restriction there's less sense of accomplishment.

Yeah that's subjective but I've noticed in games that force me to do a certain stretch without dying as opposed to letting me save every time, its more tense and when I finally figure out how, the feeling of accomplishment is much greater.

If the level designer is smart about placing the save restrictions, you shouldn't have to re-do 2 hours worth of work, it should be much less painful than that.