The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 8.1

Sotha

I just upgraded my win 8 to windows 8.1.

Firstly, it was strange to have the operating update coming from the Market app, rather than from the windows update. It is so stupid how there are two levels in the operating system: the real desktop world and then the useless metro toy world. Since I disabled all the Metro stuff, I liked the operating system, but being exposed to that shit made me irritated.

Even further, after the installation, the M$fucking system half-forced me to make a microsoft account. There was no obvious way around it and the installer was stuck at the point and I had to create a microsoft account.... I feel.. dirty! :(

Anyhow, it can be avoided: here is how.

http://www.groovypos...nt-windows-8-1/

If you were a sucker like me, you can go back to use your safe local account with these instructions. I suppose it is possible to delete the microsoft account later.

http://www.techrepub...-in-windows-81/

Now, lets see if this turns out okay or not. So far I am totally irritated with windows 8.1 and if this shit continues, I'll go back to linux before I can say "microsoft bought nokia phones."

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Haha wow Sotha I didn't even know it was in your nature to use profanity! But if anything is going to bring it out the angry side in people it would have to be Windows 8.

Windows 7 still runs great for me so until they release an operating system that (I personally feel is an upgrade) I will stay here.

I'm curious though was there a specific reason for going to Windows 8?

Haha wow Sotha I didn't even know it was in your nature to use profanity! But if anything is going to bring it out the angry side in people it would have to be Windows 8.

I love my computer, but this instance made me feel to spit at it.

Windows 7 still runs great for me so until they release an operating system that (I personally feel is an upgrade) I will stay here.

Probably a good idea.

I'm curious though was there a specific reason for going to Windows 8?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Three more years without paying microsoft a dime!

Clipper

For other users here:

DO NOT UPGRADE TO WIN 8.1. Before upgrading double check all your devices have drivers available for Win8.1.

I just found out that I have no graphics driver support at all at this time.

My Radeon HD4800 graphics card has drivers only for win 8.0 and it seems these drivers are not compatible with 8.1.

All programs with 3d (like TDM) fails to launch. So looks I must do a complete reinstall and revert back to win8.

*Sigh*

Clipper

Scratch that. It was just that the graphic driver broke completely during the update.

After uninstalling all AMD software, and manually uninstalling the graphics drivers from the device manager, and hunting the last remnants of the video drivers with the registry editor and completely reinstalling the drivers from scratch, now things seem to be working again.

What an annoyance.

Clipper

I never had issues with upgrading windows and any drivers, whatsoever. Must be an AMD-thingy... ;-P Haha, I'm just bustin' balls, as always.

Anyway, it is always wise not to adopt new system versions too early. Better wait a little to see if there are any problems with it.

Anyway, it is always wise not to adopt new system versions too early. Better wait a little to see if there are any problems with it.

Words of wisdom. I assumed the changes in 8.1 are so minor that the old drivers would work, and in the end, the assumption seems to be correct.

I have also never broken any driver in windows updates, but Linux side suffers from this a great deal. If you have the proprietary graphics driver and have a kernel update, you end up with no graphical interface at all, which sucks. That's why I never bother getting the proprietary drivers for linux: it is fine as long as you don't play 3d games, which I do on the windows side.

There was a 8.1 driver, but it did not list my card as supported one.

But no matter, the 8.0 driver seems to work after the reinstall.

Don't forget about the infamous windows 8.1 mouse lag issues:

https://www.google.c...se+lag&safe=off

Never had that one, but I'm glad it is fixed in 8.1.

But seriously man, Windows 7 is the way to go if you are going for a Windows OS.

Nah, I use 7 at work, and 8 feels overall more responsive, and it boots very fast. I also read some reviews when I was deciding whether to take 8 or 7, and according to the articles I read, 8 was more light-weight, which is good for gaming. Plus the extra mileage with support makes it more future-proof.

The previous windows I bought was XP, and I hope to manage with 8 for many years without paying anything to microsoft.

All in all W8 is just fine once you exorcize the hideous Metro to the netherworld where it belongs, and that is done simply by installing the classic shell. The testament to this is the fact that nowadays my computer (which is always on) sits in windows. Before 8 I was idling always in the linux side. Win8 seems to also be the first operating system of which power saving functions well, mostly because of the fast booting.

BTW: 8.1 returns the start button as promised, but I still prefer the classic shell, because new stock start button still calls the Metro from the netherworld and takes hold of the whole screen.

Clipper

Personally I look at win7 as the "new XP" and win8 as the "new XP ME". No thank you. I realize there are some things better done in win8 but I won't be upgrading any time soon, and yay for DX11.1... thanks MS.

Particularly with Microsoft's Technet Subscription service being totally gimped and overpriced now.

Windows 8/8.1 for me is CoD Ghosts, a cash grab. Too bad they can't come out with a new OS every year and charge you again for it.

Using server 2012 (and now 2012 r2) at work has led me to very very much despise the "metro" tiled start "menu" (more like scream in rage because it's frigging stupid), and the "charms" bar thing, which is also ridiculously stupid... which is sad, because I like a bunch of things they changed. Then took all that joy away and replaced it with rage due to metro and charms.. which is 10x worse over rdp.. Windows 8/2012 will never be more than a pathetic joke to me because of that, and depending on your system is setup you would probably have an equally fast boot on a uefi win7 system as a bios win8 system, without accelerating your hair loss.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I've lost count of how many times I've said this.... Classic Shell fixes the missing start menu and removes metro (windows ui) - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classicshell.net%2F&ei=5vaVUsDrB8yg7AaltID4Aw&usg=AFQjCNG50DyeHbBKla9DV29qyKk9FyWfZA

I donated £10 to the guy.

Unless there is a way to convert my window 7 image backup to windows 8, I doubt I'll ever migrate. You see, my image is setup in such a way, that upon reinstalling it, I find everything as it was before (e.g. bookmarks, icons on the desktop etc.), but everything else is fresh and clean.

As soon as I detect something fishy in my system, I just reinstall the whole thing in a matter of 20 minutes. :) The only thing left to do after reinstalling is updating the preinstalled software and drivers.

Edited by STiFU
  • Like 1

I've done that as well for a while now. I'm sure many others here do as well.

After installing OS, install all drivers, Firefox, winrar, basic stuff so everything just works; then create a base_image.

Then after installing all my games, applications, everything, I do it again and create a full_image.

The base_image takes about 5min to restore from a USB3 external to SSD system drive.

The full_image takes about 40min to restore.

Saves all.kinds.of.time. if anything goes wrong.

Windows 8/8.1 for me is CoD Ghosts, a cash grab. Too bad they can't come out with a new OS every year and charge you again for it.

Unfortunately, they WILL do this. I remember seeing a plan of switching to yearly (or every other year) subscription kind of thingy, but it's been played down since. I think we got 8.1 for free because all computer manufacturers were telling M$ that they can't sell this shit.

I've done that as well for a while now. I'm sure many others here do as well.

After installing OS, install all drivers, Firefox, winrar, basic stuff so everything just works; then create a base_image.

Then after installing all my games, applications, everything, I do it again and create a full_image.

The base_image takes about 5min to restore from a USB3 external to SSD system drive.

The full_image takes about 40min to restore.

Saves all.kinds.of.time. if anything goes wrong.

I used to do this as well, then I got myself some virtual computing space at work. I don't install much stuff on this computer since I can always test it virtually and just revert a snapshot. Whether it's a useless program or a total catastrophe, home system is safe. I also wait a week or so before updating anything. Helps quite a bit when it goes "Here's the latest upd... oops! Something went wrong. We are sorry that your day/week/month/life is ruined, have a nice day!"

Just reminding myself how M$ borked the root certificate update last year. Fun times.

Edited by Lydecker

After using Windows 7 Ultimate for 4 years, I switched to Windows 8.1 Enterprise on 12th of September. I'm quite happy with it, although I don't use Metro at all. The thing is, in order to give yourself full administrator privileges (sudo) moving UAC slider all the way down to 'never notify' is not enough like in Windows 7. You need to disable Admin Approval Mode. They made it like that because Metro interface doesn't work with UAC completely turned off.

You can do that through Local Security Policy Editor:

secpol.msc > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode > Disabled

Or through the Registry Editor:

regedit.exe > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System > EnableLUA > 0

As I said, by doing that, you won't be able to use Metro apps anymore. I haven't yet found a quality workaround to have UAC off and use Metro apps at the same time, but it's not really I need Metro at first place, so I'm fine like this.

I've lost count of how many times I've said this.... Classic Shell fixes the missing start menu and removes metro (windows ui) - http://www.google.co...DV29qyKk9FyWfZA

I donated £10 to the guy.

Sorry but having to use (for money in some cases) a third party product to remove the fuckup that MS should have NEVER EVER put within a mile of their SERVER OS is not a real solution. A shell replacement should be something optional you do for looks, like with rainmeter, not something you have to do to restore the OS to how it's worked for the last 20+ years. It should have never been there on server, and should have been optional on client.

Edited by Xarg
  • Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It should have never been there on server, and should have been optional on client.

Yes x 1000!!

Server edition using metro almost seems like a bad joke. Who at Microsoft thinks these are good decisions honestly?

Just installed win 8 and had some problems with dlink Ethernet. Found win 8 fix for it somewhere else than dlink site. It may be worse on win 8.1 as its newer and you need special win 8.1 drivers for it

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?