The Dark Mod Forums

Visportal help

Duke Lebowski

Hey taffers,

So here i am mapping my first map, but i'm having a real hard time placing functional visportals. Some of them work ( r_showportals 1 )

but others just won't be active, and i don't know why.

For instance, i have a specific room that is splitted in two by a wall in the middle with no door, just a gap. One of the room's part gives to the main hallway by

a door( with a functional visportal) and the other room's part has a trapdoor ( with a functional visportal). But when i try to place a door in the middle, it's visportal

just won't activate. I don't see it at all when using r_showportals 1 . I'm pretty sure the room is leak-free, as the other accesses have their visportal active.

Any clue ? Thanks !

Edited by Duke Lebowski

Can you post a top ortho-view of your scene or an approximation. This will help us to see if your layout will prevent the vp from closing. Also, please keep in mind that neither func_statics nor models will seal a portal so make sure you've got caulk wherever the vp crosses these. (Include which items are fs vs models vs world_spawn in your illustration if possible.)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Not sure on func_visportal as I've only used regular visportals but any time I've had an issue with a visportal not showing up is when the visportal isn't snapped to the brush geometry. Which means there's a gap tiny or otherwise between the visportal and what its sealing against.

Edited by Lux

To rephrase that, when you visportal between two areas (called leafs), they have to be totally sealed from each other, so the smallest gap between the two areas will kill the visportal. The gap doesn't even have to be beside the visportal itself, although often it is. But it could be a gap somewhere else in the room even far away from the visportal, like an unportaled window or even a small sliver of a gap in the wall will also kill the visportal.

But yes, if you post a screenshot of the scene or DR maybe we can get a better idea.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Any clue ? Thanks !

Sometimes leaks can be really sneaky. One way to check your room for leaks is to select all the sealing geometry (walls, floor, ceiling, doors - the whole thing) of the room and duplicate it, and the moving the duplicate in the void.

If the map leaks when compiling, open DR and check File -> Load Pointfile. You should now see where the room leaks from.

Edited by kyyrma
  • Like 1

Worth noting that even if there are brushes covering everything, if you have complex or sliver brushwork sometimes the engine can hiccup on it & not render it properly, and that will create a gap and kill the visportal. This has happened to me. But anyway, the way to find it is like you'd find any leak, like kyyrma just mentioned.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Sometimes leaks can be really sneaky. One way to check your room for leaks is to select all the sealing geometry (walls, floor, ceiling, doors - the whole thing) of the room and duplicate it, and the moving the duplicate in the void.

If the map leaks when compiling, open DR and check File -> Load Pointfile. You should now see where the room leaks from.

There's an easier way:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance:_Essential_Must-Knows#Internal_Leaks