The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Wants You!

Springheel

Looking to join The Dark Mod team? We currently need a web-designer capable of creating a web management system. We are starting to get too many textures and models to keep track of manually.

What we would like is an internal web management system that would allow team-members to upload thumbnails of their models/textures, along with the ability to update their status. Models and textures would be organized by category, and some kind of search function for locating, say, all wall textures, would be nice. As it's only for internal use, it doesn't have to be pretty, just effective.

If this seems like something you can handle, please let us know.

Available server technology is Apache, PHP, MySQl, Perl running on Linux.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, have red about your demand of such a management system...

We're the Reca|| to He|| Mod and still working on such a possibility of file-coordinating and have built up a complex system of management for members and done files, listed with pictures and description. As well as some "to do" lists and communication platforms. We have finished about approximately 70% of this platform

Features:

• Storage for all done works with picture [if available] and description well sorted in different categories with date, author and all necessary options [download, upload etc.]
  • Database structure; fleshed out, there will probably be some changes, but the main components are there.
  • Tree display; works, collects an index of all categories and content items from the database, and builds the tree. A later version will load info more incremental (as needed).
  • TODO; every category has a todo list. It's an overview what still needs to be done in terms of content creation, bughunting, polishing, integration of parts etc.
  • Notes; every piece of content has a list of notes. These involve open communication about the part, perhaps extra specifications, standards, etc.
  • Personal notes; every member has his own list of notes, only the member himself can see. Any member can send another member a note (also members can make notes to themselves).
  • Member status; Green (the user is available to take on new work), Orange (the user is busy with current work) and Red (the user is inactive).
  • Version and progress bar. Every content item has both a version number and a progress bar. The progress bar indicates how far development of the current version is. Categories display the average progress of that section.
  • Personal info page; showing a description of a member, and allows to send them a personal note.
  • Implementing user home page; displaying information on the project, any new items that have been created since his last visit.
  • Php'ing content/category/userinfo pages, logging in/out, adding notes and todo forms/handlers.
  • Fully scheming out who can change what when, how new content items are added. I suppose a section leader would be great for doing that.
  • Still need to implement how the status of a user changes. From active to free, and from free to inactive.
  • Reminder email triggering, implementation. Could be a combination of the date when the user was last logged in, and the date the user has lastly contributed anything.
  • Work delegation; I have to design how people can delegate work to another section (from modelling to skinning, for instance).
  • Task managment; the categoryleader should link people to contentitems.

We're currently discussing within the team if we offer this system for free for certain doom³-modteams when finished for a better workflow and coordination. So if you're interested... ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I would like to put my hand up for this offer.

I have been programming PHP for 4 or so years. I have developed about 5 web content management systems, code bases and other data intensive WebPages.

I’m admittedly better at coding than design but I think that’s more of what your after (you have artsy-fartsy folk here, they can help )

I only use LAMP setups, so no problems there

I am a huge thief fan, I have loved it ever since thief 1 days (even mastered dromed too )

I’ve always wanted to contribute to something like this and my opportunity just kame knocking. I’m honoured to be able to apply

Just so you know, what your asking will take a while, I’ve done this kind of thing before but not for whole teams, just a department or 2 (most).

"Needleboy" has a really nice sounding piece of software there. Sounds like its just for you.

Edited by Gimpy

Send a mail to recruiting@thedarkmod.com and we will setup a contribution thread for you where we can discuss the details. Include the info from here as well so we know what you are applying for. :) It would be very helpfull to have a customized tool for our assets. My only hope is that this will not take longer then developing TDM itself, as this could be quite a big task really. :)

Gerhard

You might want to check out your DNS...

i tried sending an email and it came up with this.

----------------------------------------

The original message was received at Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:58:33 +1000

from localhost.domain [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<recruiting@darkmod.com>

(reason: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1 - chkusr))

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to mail3.opentransfer.com.:

>>> DATA

<<< 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1 - chkusr)

550 5.1.1 <recruiting@darkmod.com>... User unknown

<<< 503 RCPT first (#5.5.1)

-----------------------------------------

It might be me...

please check, i want to send an email :D

(edit)

all good, dont worry about whats above..

Edited by Gimpy

• 1 year later...

Well, that depends.

I have gained programming experience in some languages since I was 12, when I started in Pascal and moved on to Assembler (I did quite a lot of system programming then). As a student I got to know C, FORTRAN and MATLAB, although I'm no wizard in these languages (but I can handle these, I think). I suppose you guys are primarily looking for C++ coders?

I know that this may not sound very good to you, as I have no C portfolio to show, but I can catch up really quick with things and I'm always eager to learn new stuff. At the moment, I'm studying Technical Physics, and I hope to finish my diploma thesis within the next year.

Do you have any specific problem you can show to me, perhaps? There may be an isolated (smaller) task for me to dive into things, at least I could have a look at it.

Of course, if you want to stick with really experienced C++ coders, I do fully understand, just say it then.

Well, that depends.

I have gained programming experience in some languages since I was 12, when I started in Pascal and moved on to Assembler (I did quite a lot of system programming then). As a student I got to know C, FORTRAN and MATLAB, although I'm no wizard in these languages (but I can handle these, I think). I suppose you guys are primarily looking for C++ coders?

I know that this may not sound very good to you, as I have no C portfolio to show, but I can catch up really quick with things and I'm always eager to learn new stuff. At the moment, I'm studying Technical Physics, and I hope to finish my diploma thesis within the next year.

Do you have any specific problem you can show to me, perhaps? There may be an isolated (smaller) task for me to dive into things, at least I could have a look at it.

Of course, if you want to stick with really experienced C++ coders, I do fully understand, just say it then.

Orbweaver might like some help working on Dark Radiant. He could probably assign some work to you. What do you think Orb? We could try things out for a trial period.

Hmm..that depends. Greebo - do you have any experience writing GUIs with GTK, or with OpenGL/graphics in general?

Sorry, no experience in that area... do you consider it to be hard to learn (GTK)?

Sorry, no experience in that area... do you consider it to be hard to learn (GTK)?

GTK itself is not hard although it can be quite mucky with its C API, but using it to generate a usable (rather than merely functional) GUI can be more challenging for the inexperienced.

The DarkRadiant code is available under the GPL anyway, so if you are interested in helping feel free to download and look through the code. It is available by Subversion at https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/darkradiant and requires GCC and Scons to build.

Thank you, I just had a quick look at the GTK+ 2.0 Tutorial which does not look that bad. Currently I'm downloading the entire darkradiant repository (takes quite a long time, I'd say).

This weekend I will have the time to dig into the whole thing - do you have any directions for me?

This weekend I will have the time to dig into the whole thing - do you have any directions for me?

You will need to get set up with Scons (which requires Python or ActivePython on Windows) and the GCC toolchain (available as MinGW on Windows). If you are on Linux you will need to get these tools from your distro. These will allow you to build DarkRadiant.

If you want to develop you will need to know C++, there is a thread in the public forum with people's suggestions for learning resources. I found http://cma.zdnet.com/book/c++/ to be quite helpful.

That sounds similar to my programming background when I started, so I would think you could handle stuff like scripting with no problem. A lot of D3 is done with scripting, which is based on C++ but without all the features (no arrays or structures). We could maybe use someone to script some random player tools like flash bombs and telescopes and whatnot, and you could move up to working with the C++ game code as you got more familiar. On the other hand, it sounds like there's work to be done on the DarkRadiant project too.

You will need to get set up with Scons (which requires Python or ActivePython on Windows) and the GCC toolchain (available as MinGW on Windows). If you are on Linux you will need to get these tools from your distro. These will allow you to build DarkRadiant.

If you want to develop you will need to know C++, there is a thread in the public forum with people's suggestions for learning resources. I found http://cma.zdnet.com/book/c++/ to be quite helpful.

Ok, I have downloaded and compiled Darkradiant (from "trunk") and I had a quick overview over the source files. I played around a bit with the editor (even managed to crash it once, when I tried to stretch a texture to zero value, I think) and clicked through most of the menus. Where would it best to go from here? What are you currently working on and where could I possibly help?

I'm over halfway through the C++ Tutorial you linked, much of it seemed quite familiar to me (as I read a Turbo C book over ten years ago), but some parts were of course new to me (mostly the class inheritance part). Could use a bit more practice though :). I've quite some experience with classes from PHP, but those are much less sophisticated in comparison to the ones from C++ it seems. But it should not be too hard to get used to, I believe.

That sounds similar to my programming background when I started, so I would think you could handle stuff like scripting with no problem. A lot of D3 is done with scripting, which is based on C++ but without all the features (no arrays or structures). We could maybe use someone to script some random player tools like flash bombs and telescopes and whatnot, and you could move up to working with the C++ game code as you got more familiar. On the other hand, it sounds like there's work to be done on the DarkRadiant project too.

I'm motivated to help out with anything, really. All I need is some small task to get me started and perhaps some directions too, as I expect your code base to be huge and I would have to learn some tricks here and there. If you have the time to get me involved, it may pay off later, but I would understand if you would consider this as too tedious and time-consuming.

I even thought about helping out with texturing, as I have some Photoshop skills, but that would probably not good enough for your standards - and it would be too time-consuming for you to teach me, I reckon.

Would your wiki be any good for me in all these matters - Darkradiant, Scripting and such?

Ok, I have downloaded and compiled Darkradiant (from "trunk") and I had a quick overview over the source files. I played around a bit with the editor (even managed to crash it once, when I tried to stretch a texture to zero value, I think) and clicked through most of the menus. Where would it best to go from here? What are you currently working on and where could I possibly help?

Did you compile on Windows or Linux? I'm very pleased if it's Windows because it took a long time to get the build script working and it hasn't been tested on any other machine except mine.

Do you prefer working on front-end GUI or back-end systems coding? I can certainly give you some ideas of things I want to do but I haven't really looked into many of them yet so there would be a lot of investigation needed on your part.

I'm over halfway through the C++ Tutorial you linked, much of it seemed quite familiar to me (as I read a Turbo C book over ten years ago), but some parts were of course new to me (mostly the class inheritance part). Could use a bit more practice though :). I've quite some experience with classes from PHP, but those are much less sophisticated in comparison to the ones from C++ it seems. But it should not be too hard to get used to, I believe.

C++ is not difficult, but it is very unforgiving at times. You really need to understand the differences between (say) pointers, references and objects, the difference between virtual and non-virtual functions, local objects versus heap-allocated objects and so on. Still, the basic ideas should be familiar so for a reasonably experienced programmer it is just a question of learning the details.