The Dark Mod Forums

DayZ Standalone released!

Xarg

So the long-awaited, much teased and blatantly hype-trained alphaer has made it on Steam. Been playing a few hours, there are a whole bunch of things you MUST unlearn from the mod to get anywhere in this.... and it needs a patch or two in pretty short order... but overall, I'm impressed!

• Like 2

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

*is confused*T

This is standalone, but it still requires Steam? I really need a new multiplayer game to throw away dozens of hours of my life into. I've considered Minecraft, but I prefer frantic twitch games and blasting other players rather than building things.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I've played the ARMA2 mod a fair share with friends and I always get fed up with much death is based on bugs, lack of functionality and piss-poor performance by the engine. Never the less, I have reinstalled the mod at least 4 times, because the concept IS INDEED kick-ass.

However if you buy it on steam now, keep that in mind and the following:

"WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING."

This is standalone, but it still requires Steam?

I'm not sure I understand where you're going here. What I've always understood "standalone" to mean in terms of this game, and every game I've heard it used in reference to, is that they start out as mods, that is they are dependent on another game, and then substituting assets/mechanics/etc in place of the vanilla game. TDM, MWLL, DayZ, all started as mods of other games, two of them broke free of the games they started as modifications of, into fully fledged games in their own right, even if they share the engine or aspects of it.

Not sure what Steam has to do with this, but hopefully I've cleared up something :)

Edit: I think I grasp what you mean now, even if you buy it direct from the BIS site (which became unresponsive about 4 minutes after the release announcement) they give you a Steam key, as the game is currently using VAC for anti-cheat, though they have floated the idea of VAC and BattlEye together. THAT should clear up your confusion.

Also interesting was unless I misinterpreted how Steam's top seller list tab thing works, DayZ became the #1 seller on Steam in 6 minutes.

but I prefer frantic twitch games and blasting other players rather than building things

There's a bunch of f2p shooters on Steam, I've heard good things about Blacklight Retribution from Jim Sterling and a guy in the gaming clan I'm a member of who has played it, perhaps take a look at that if you haven't already? Just steer clear of MWO.... that thing's in its death spiral.

Edited by Xarg

I'm confused as to why this seems to be so confusing to people: :D

-You can play the DayZ mod without Steam. It requires Arma2. The mod itself is free, but you must buy Arma2.

-DayZ standalone is a completely new game, which does not require Arma2 (much like TDM standalone does not require Doom3). Steam is only the distribution method. The cost is $30.

Edited by brethren
  • Like 1

Well, I'm confused about the standalone and the mod.

The standalone does not have all the features the mod has? They are separate or are the player base the same? Are they gonna fork, i.e. standalone will be updated and the mod will not get updates anymore.

I mean if someone wanted to try it out, it is not clear which one one should get, the standalone (which is not 'mature' yet, apparently) or the mod (meaning the purchase of Arma2.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

My impression is that they are two completely separate projects at the moment. The guy who created the original mod (Rocket) went to work for Bohemia specifically to create a standalone with it's own engine. In the meantime, someone else or a team of people have taken over the mod and continue to update it.

As far as which one to get, that's a tough one. Eventually, the standalone will likely be the most polished and have the most features, but of course atm it's an alpha. If you already own Arma2, then it's a no brainer because the mod itself is free. The Arma2 version required is $20, but with an upcoming Steam sale, you might be able to get it for half that.

Edited by brethren

Yep. Standalone != DRM Free

Often this is quite the contrary. A mod will often start as a legally grey or even illegal creation (see GTA IV mods...).

Then the authors will gain enough notability and a publisher will pick them up so they can become "legitimate".

This will often entail the new "standalone" version becoming a DRM protected property like the game it was originally

modded from.

id Software is the exception here.

They:

Provide an open SDK which allows mods to legally exist as long as they are not sold commercially

then

Provide the Source Code so mods can be truly Standalone and have no entanglement to Id Software other

than the GPL terms

Not too shabby. Don't expect that other companies will do this. There's simply too much pro DRM agenda there.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I was a bit disappointed when I saw that they want already 24€ for the alpha version in which you can't play but only do search for bugs. On top of that they said they will release the beta end of 2014 (!). Regarding they wanted to release the alpha back in 2012 I would not think this game will be released before end of 2015 which brings to my mind if it's still interesting then. Maybe one of those DayZ copycats is better than the original one day?

I don't know .. On one side I'm happy that this finally getting into the alpha release, but on the other hand you can see which looong way this game still has to go..

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hard to believe when they originally were going to release in 2012 that the final won't be ready now until 2015! I'm not sure what takes so long when they already had perfectly good, functioning mod that thousand of people were playing. With that in mind, for anyone looking to just try out the game, I think at this point I'd just pick up a cheap version of Arma2 and play the free mod until they figure their shit out.

Well, I'm confused about the standalone and the mod.

The standalone does not have all the features the mod has? They are separate or are the player base the same? Are they gonna fork, i.e. standalone will be updated and the mod will not get updates anymore.

I mean if someone wanted to try it out, it is not clear which one one should get, the standalone (which is not 'mature' yet, apparently) or the mod (meaning the purchase of Arma2.)

The standalone and the mod are seperate, and will not share a playerbase. If one wanted to try the concept out, the best way to do would be to pickup ArmA2 Combined Operations when it's on a 5-7 dollar special, and download the DayZMod for it. The mod will continue to receive updates alongside the standalone, as the development of the mod has been assumed by a selected group of community volunteers, but regardless of how many similar features it implements, it will always just be the mod of ArmA2.

As far as missing features go, all the weapons and vehicles were removed, as they are going to be totally redone and then reimplemented in their newer, better forms. So far they've put in the Mosin Nagant (plus scope and bipod (maybe more) attachments), the M4A1 (plus tactical light, bayonet, buttstock, foregrip, suppressor, and ACOG sight attachments), the FNX45 pistol (with an optics attachment and maybe a suppressor), and multiple melee weapons that now actually swing properly, in the mod a melee weapon is a melee distance firearm. The AK-74, SKS, a couple of shotguns and another rifle or two are coming. The new update that is pending adds a .357 revolver and ammo.

Vehicles were removed so they could be reworked and readded with improved and more realistic handling and damage mechanics, plus reconfigured so if your car is beat up, you can find a similar car and remove its door and use that door to replace the damaged door on your car. The mod vehicle repair system currently only allows replacement of fuel tank, engine, and replacement/removal of wheels and glass. Vehicles in the standalone are going to be far more modifiable when finished (whenever that is, I would personally expect late alpha/early beta).

A bit steap though...

Buying the alpha now at $30 will result in you having the full game (eventually) without paying anything extra, just like ArmA3 and Minecraft did. The longer you wait, the more expensive it gets.

I was a bit disappointed when I saw that they want already 24€ for the alpha version in which you can't play but only do search for bugs. On top of that they said they will release the beta end of 2014 (!). Regarding they wanted to release the alpha back in 2012 I would not think this game will be released before end of 2015 which brings to my mind if it's still interesting then. Maybe one of those DayZ copycats is better than the original one day?

What do you mean you can't play? I've had great fun running around in a group killing bambi's and exploring the new system, you are under no obligation to put fun aside and search for bugs (though I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you reported any you found).

Second point, what they were going to release at the end of 2012 was going to simply be the DayZmod repackaged as its own game. What they've done instead is transition from ArmA2 engine to Take On Helicopters (essentially ArmaA 2.5), redo a bunch of the methods the game uses to work to help lock down scripting and make the server authoritative instead of the server doing whatever the client tells it to (hello bear trap Thunderdome DayZmod!). With the addition of things like the network bubble and server controlled zombies and loot (the mod calls loot and zombies via client side script) there is no way to have achieved all of that for a release date of Dec 2012.

I've played a few of the mods of the mod, and while some have interesting ideas (like Epoch and Aftermath), most are just the same thing on a new map, or total shit. They're all based on older versions of the main mod too, and thus are missing fixes and features the main mod has. They will soon not be worth the time unless you don't have the standalone game IMO.

Hard to believe when they originally were going to release in 2012 that the final won't be ready now until 2015! I'm not sure what takes so long when they already had perfectly good, functioning mod that thousand of people were playing. With that in mind, for anyone looking to just try out the game, I think at this point I'd just pick up a cheap version of Arma2 and play the free mod until they figure their shit out.

Already explained the release date slip above, but the mod was NOT perfectly good, and sometimes it was barely functioning... unless you consider letting hackers spawn swarms of parachuting exploding cows, setting off nukes or firebombing entire sections of the mod to be perfectly good/functioning. The mod is clunky, the AI is terrible. This is just my opinion however.

Edited by Xarg

I bought it now so I wouldn't have to pay more later and the concept and the ideas that are planned should prove to be really interesting game mechanics. Support for Oculus is also planned down the line which will be excellent. Played the mod a bit on several installs. Hackers ruined it really, for me.

Lots of new stuff to play around with and plenty of time to learn the mechanics and not worry about foraging/collecting gear and what not.

@Xarg --you in the states? My brother and I and a couple of our friends play and maybe we could group up some time? (Timezones allowing)

@Steam --the devs plan on implementing Steam friends in to the game so you can spawn wITh your friends on the beach instead of having to spawn separately and travel for 30-45min in game trying to find them (though admittedly that can be exciting in itself; a lot can happen in 45min.).

Edited by Lux

@Xarg, thanks for your reply. Yes I meant there's not much to do atm than just running around and beat zombies with baseball bats while waiting for the next CTD to come. I guess I'll will wait a few months and see how this is eveolving and maybe come back to buy it then, but atm it's not worth to buy / play it imho.

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I bought it now so I wouldn't have to pay more later and the concept and the ideas that are planned should prove to be really interesting game mechanics. Support for Oculus is also planned down the line which will be excellent. Played the mod a bit on several installs. Hackers ruined it really, for me.

Lots of new stuff to play around with and plenty of time to learn the mechanics and not worry about foraging/collecting gear and what not.

@Xarg --you in the states? My brother and I and a couple of our friends play and maybe we could group up some time? (Timezones allowing)

@Steam --the devs plan on implementing Steam friends in to the game so you can spawn wITh your friends on the beach instead of having to spawn separately and travel for 30-45min in game trying to find them (though admittedly that can be exciting in itself; a lot can happen in 45min.).

Nah I'm in New Zealand, but half the guys I play with are EU/US, the rest are NZ based. Getting it early for the low price is a good point, it's what I did with ArmA3, only played it once before Beta to see how it ran on my system. The spawn on your friends idea sounds good, hopefully it gets implemented at least as a server admin controlled option, I think people would like it a lot for servers not running in first person only uberneckbeard mode.

@Xarg, thanks for your reply. Yes I meant there's not much to do atm than just running around and beat zombies with baseball bats while waiting for the next CTD to come. I guess I'll will wait a few months and see how this is eveolving and maybe come back to buy it then, but atm it's not worth to buy / play it imho.

That's the thing I've always found weird about DayZ... there is nothing to do once you get geared, but it is your story, so write something! Become a wandering medic... become a complete douchelord bandit who handcuffs people, steals their pants and forcefeeds them rotten fruit.. set up a trading stall... the limit here is your imagination (and to a lesser extent, the imagination of the people you encounter). Hell you could spawn as a woman and become a secret Typhoid Mary, fix people up with the wrong medications... become a vampire and handcuff people and steal their blood. Can't wait until more stuff gets added, this has so much potential and I think Rocket and BIS will eventually come through and deliver an amazing game, and I'm here at the baby steps of the project finding things to help them improve it.

Or, you just wait until it gets in a sale.

So, in about 3-4 years when it's gone through alpha, beta, and release, and is old enough that BIS will allow Steam to discount it heavily? Well OK if that's how you wanna do it, but uh, I'll go play the game right now.

Edited by Xarg

So, in about 3-4 years when it's gone through alpha, beta, and release, and is old enough that BIS will allow Steam to discount it heavily? Well OK if that's how you wanna do it, but uh, I'll go play the game right now.

Hell yeah that's how I wanna do it. I have lots of games that I bought from GOG and Steam that I didn't even played. So yeah, I prefer to play them, instead of a bugged unfinished early alpha game. But hey, to each his own...

That's a perfectly fine way to do it, I'd just personally rather not wait that long to save a few dollars in the short run, at the cost of the years of entertainment I'll have with the product before it reaches completion then discount price.

• 4 weeks later...

Next update should feature not only the IZH43 shotgun, but a hacksaw to saw the barrel off, and spray cans to spray paint your Mosin with! Wonder how long until the AK-74 make it in... exciting!

Bugfixes would be really nice, think there were a few in the pipeline. Wonder when they'll get around to fixing the 300rnd ammo boxes being able to store 600...>_>, and yeah, hunting is one of the things I would love to see ingame much sooner than later, even with the extra buildings and towns, being confined to human settlements for food is a bit bleh, then again they got rid of the northern wilderness, and much of the western wilderness too.