The Dark Mod Forums

DayZ Standalone released!

Xarg

Called it! Merino's video's helped me a LOT when I saw them and understood. When I originally made the post about having to unlearn things from the mod, I had no idea this stuff even existed. This should be mandatory watching for anyone who's not a Balota deathmatch derpfest attendee, they can keep dying on the coast until they leave.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they've fixed the "meta-game issue" with "combat logging" and server hopping?

I can finally run this game without problems, but unless they've done something about those, even added content for depth seems a bit pointless still. You can have a well geared character and have it instantly ruined by someone who decided to exploit the current design :/

When you log out, your character stays in the world for around 30 seconds, meaning zombies or players that were chasing you can now finish you off.

For server hopping, when you join a server, a 30 minute timer starts, if you stay on the server for 30m or longer, you are able to log off (30 seconds in world) and join any other server no problem, if you leave the server before that timer is up, you'll get a 480s timer before you can spawn on the new server. Exceptions are if the server restarts while you're playing on it, you can hit the Play button off the main menu, and if the server is back up when you do, you'll rejoin the same server with no timer, even if you hadn't been on it for 30m yet.

Cool so it's pretty much the same as in DayZero then, except the timer is after you leave.

I like that. It means it's always a bit scary when you log off and you would really not wanna gamble with the timer while in combat. Gonna have to get this installed again :)

Yay! I may get my weekend DayZ fix after all!

Dean Hall:

Please note: all DayZ servers have been dropped so we can release a hotfix to stable branch. We will notify everyone when they are back on

Brian Hicks:

Stable Branch servers will be performing some rolling reboots for some small hotfix changes. FYI

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Played some before (and got reset by the same shitty server that reset me a couple of months back, I'll learn one day), but other than some fps dips it seemed pretty stable to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=es42HrtPB3I

Road map for 2014 from Rezzed! Lots of awesome stuff, should help calm down the people who freaked when Dean announced leaving BIS.

Also interesting, though there is a bit overlap, is the q&a with Dean that takes place after the road map presentation, found here

Think I might check out the 3 or so other panels Dean will be attending as they happen, that road map is amazing!

Edited by Xarg

Thanks for the links. Gotta watch those when time.

My primary wish would be to get the city area performance fix. There is gotta be something strange in those areas as FPS impact is huge.

Clipper

I get the feeling they haven't sorted the RV version of visportalling properly yet, I remember pre-release Dean showing off the new apartment building and laughing while saying he'd told the team not to do what they did, as the performance was visibly suffering on the stream, but it did look great. With the boost they gave cities, Cherno especially, it probably just needs a massive sweep to stop rendering crap like books and tables in buildings are you aren't in. That's my guess anyway, could be totally wrong.

First link the actual content starts about 1m in, and the q&a starts around 28 minutes, so there's only about 27/36 minutes of actual content, the rest is q&a/intro. The second video is mostly just q&a, both were interesting to watch, but between the two I'd say the first link is more important.

Also, my kingdom for STICKS. Honestly, sticks. I started at Zelenogorsk, met my friend at Rogovo, went through the NWAF, Grishino, Stary Sobor, Novy Sobor, server restart, Novy Sobor, Polana, the factory, then Berezino, before getting into a firefight with 2 barely geared players which caused the death of my friend and one of the other players... took 4 hours. Sticks? Hahahah! Nope. So rare now that I want them :(

dang i don't think i've died (or played more than 2-3 times) since the whole backpack nerf thing. is it really that hard? i played a couple nights ago and found 2 hunting backpacks in the jail north of NWAF I can't think of any other uses for sticks except making backpacks.

I can't think of any other uses for sticks except making backpacks.

You can fix a broken leg with sticks+rags. However, a morphine injection does the same thing and uses only one inventory slot.

Clipper

dang i don't think i've died (or played more than 2-3 times) since the whole backpack nerf thing. is it really that hard? i played a couple nights ago and found 2 hunting backpacks in the jail north of NWAF I can't think of any other uses for sticks except making backpacks.

Oh don't get me wrong, I passed up multiple Talon backpacks, Mountain backpacks and even a hunting backpack (!), because I want the Improvised backpack for its low profile when prone in grass. Currently using the courier bag (rope + burlap sack) and while it's only 12 slots (3x4), it is very low profile on the character's back, and from the looks of the picture of the improvised, it'll be roughly the same height, just further up the character's back. This is all about functionality, I've passed up several "better" (bigger) backpacks to try get this thing.

Try lowering settings like post processing, anti aliasing (the usual offenders), another big one is try lowering the view distances, no weapons in the game currently *accurately* shoot out past about 1000m, so a view distance of maybe 1200 should be plenty. I wish they'd put in an fps meter on the option screen the way ArmA3 does, that way you'd get actual feedback about how much of an improvement a settings change is... might go suggest that on their forums.

Edit - you'll want post processing on very low, NOT off. There are two health effects you can see visually, one is colour (de)saturation, that's how much blood is still in your mewling, crumpled body, the other is a blur (caused by post processing) that is your actual "health" (yep, 2 different stats, both important), and if you have post processing turned right off, you effectively turn off your hp meter and won't know how hurt you really are.

Edited by Xarg

Well as I said the settings doesn't really effect my FPS, so I was more hoping there was some magic in some configs to be found.

The health meter thing is a good point though, as I currently have PP off because I don't like Depth of Field.

I'll go check their forums and browse for something :)

I'm not a big fan of depth of field either, but knowing how hurt I am without some gamey HUD makes a lot of difference. There should be a bunch of FPS related threads in the tech support section I believe.

You can fix a broken leg with sticks+rags. However, a morphine injection does the same thing and uses only one inventory slot.

O_O

this is a big deal. You don't know the pains of broken legs in the mod. Assuming sooner rather than later that we'll be able to chop firewood again, sticks will be in abundance even in the deep woods. and rags are ALWAYS available unless you run around naked. this is freaking huge deal. broken legs in the woods without morphine (that only spawns at hospitals and medical tents) used to be a suicide incident unless you had a nearby vehicle.

Yep, hence my disbelief and moderate frustration at being unable to find any sticks for 4 hours, despite passing numerous dead, fallen trees that I could have harvested numerous sticks from. They can harvest berries from bushes, why not sticks from trees? The courier/improvised is hardly an easy but bad option for bambis when every other bag is easier to find...

What the hell is that?

http://dayzdb.com/ma...splus#7.126.022

I play without the post processing effects. I find the blur really annoying if you have to spend a lot of time wounded. Blood loss desaturation and the inventory ENERGIZED and HYDRATED messages are pretty enough for health assessment. At least for me.

• Like 1

Clipper

What the hell is that?

My God... it's happening... it's finally happening, they've come f-

E̶̳͉̻͇͝v̸̷̫̜̜̣͓̦̪̣͈ȩ̺͕ṛ̘̬̘͓ý̭͔̪̼̜̘̠͡t̹͚͎̤h̴͔̯͎̦̠̜͚̦i̸̝͖͢͡n͉͖̻̲͞g̮̼͍͙͞ ͙̼̬̙̤̯͍́i̡̮̺͕s̡҉̜͇̞͔̭̗̘͇͞ ͏͇͔̗̟̥̫̹̙f̸̘̬̗̼̹͚̟ì͈̙͎̲͇͚͍̺n̴͈̭͓̫e͓̗̰.҉̭̙̣͚̝͝