The Dark Mod Forums

DayZ Standalone released!

Xarg

Funnily enough, I have the extra clocks on my systray set to GMT and EST... good ol' UN of gaming communities. Good to know those settings are still useful for something.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Something crazy like that, yeah. Made attending events in my gaming clan more than a little frustrating. Stay up late, or try to get up early, wat do. I usually picked stay up late.

So 4am tomorrow morning would be 10pm Saturday for Xarg and 9am for Airship. Is that workable or, Xarg, do you need sleep for the wedding? I imagine we'd play for a few hours as is usually the case. Hell, just to FIND each other...

Edited by Lux

I could play for a few hours, the wedding is around 3pm but gotta get ready and get out there etc. So I wouldn't be comfortable committing to more than 3 hours, gotta get that beauty sleep n all. Also, fistrunning. If that hasn't been patched out yet. Should make meeting up a lot easier.

I believe I'm pretty centralized in the map currently. Its been a few weeks and I can't recall exactly where I am. Hopefully good on food/water to be able to travel. Reasonably kitted provided I'm not wiped on login ...

Edited by Lux

Unless I've been bs'd I should be around that new town at Guba, Svetyolarsk or whatever it is. just remembered, I'm at the northwest of the map, sittin at the water fountain at the as yet unplaced town. Probably take 5-10 minutes to reach anywhere in the NW section. Also we're in the steam group chat thing, easier than organising by forum if you wanna hop in. Just saw the thing about adding you on steam, we're sitting in the tdm group chat, probably better than splashing your email across the forums. Jump in and say hi!

Edited by Xarg

Any other TDM people who have DayZ (standalone) should drop in at some point and we can get a group organised.

Played my very first DayZ Standalone game today.

Interesting game. I can't believe I spend the evening just walking in a virtual world, scavenging.

The first character started in Kamyshovo and went along the coast until Nizhnoye. Supplies were very scarce. I think there was absolutely nothing to be found. My alter ego murdered a woman who followed me into a house. She came in her fists up. I backed upstairs. She didn't follow me. I went back and saw her examing stuff on the ground so I jumped her from behind and beat her dead with my bare fists. I got a jacket that had one extra pocket compared to mine. At Nizhnoye my character got what she deserved. Finding nothing anywhere, I concluded there is nothing to be found in the coast and just started wander inland. Into a forest. There were three guys with hunting rifles in the forest. I went prone next to a tree and hoped they won't spot me. The guy went prone, turned towards me and I saw a smoke puff from the rifle. Splat. Dead.

The next attempt went better. I started in the same place, but now went immediately inland. Found a shovel and a lot of food, but could not take it with me because I had nothing to carry. Found a castle up a hill in the forest, I think it is Pustoy Khrebet. Then discovered a town called Staroye ("CTAPOE"). There was a well and some supplies so I decided to stay there for a while. After a break I resumed examinging the place and found more supplies even in places I already looted: server restart, I suppose. While looting, a guy with a motorcycle helmet and an axe tried to sneak around me, but luckily I have some FPS twitch in me and dodged his attacks and beat him dead. Too bad he didn't have good stuff on him. Bastard got what he deserved.

Interesting game. My character has already some decent gear in terms of carrying capacity and once I stock up on food I can sustain myself for a while. A gun would be nice, the axe, I think, ain't gonna do for a long run. My character's death would be disaster. I can see why people play this as groups. Any hints of good and safe locations for useful items that go BANG? Oh, and can I play in a different server without losing my character? The one I play in is daytime 24/7, I'd like to see day/nigh cycle.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sounds like you had fun! I always get really nervous whenever I meet a group of people, as in game-winning flag carrier jitters in any good CTF match. I'm a wuss, I know. As a general rule you want to avoid people. If you hail them and they don't answer they're probably bandits. You used to be able to tell in the mod by their clothing; people transformed depending on who they killed or helped. Bandits wore head scarfs and heroes wore... something else, I forget, bandits having killed a certain number of players and heroes having healed players or killed bandits. Now that you can customize your clothing properly it's more difficult to tell, but an armed group is best to watch from a distance and wait to see what they're doing. It's easy to kill even three guys if you get the element of surprise and a gun in pristine condition. Always aim for the head or the legs! Shooting people in the chest will damage all the stuff in their backpacks and coat pockets, and a gun that isn't pristine is usually worthless. After you play a while you recognise the buildings that have guns. There are military outposts in some corners of the map that always have guns and army clothes in them, and there are school buildings in the cities that will almost always have a Mosin Nagant or an M14 in a small room at the top, looks like this:

400px-Elektroofficebuildingdayzsa.jpg

I tend to play a podcast for the heavy cross-country runs, also way faster if you run with your fists up for some reason.

Your gear and location will transfer between public servers, but your gear doesn't carry across private servers unless they're clusters from the same host, in which case they'll carry across any of the servers in that cluster.

I'm down for some TDM team action. I'm fully loaded with everything a player could want. currently sniping the cargo-ship and surrounding marsh from the rock outcropping north of berezino. not because i need players gear... my character is just bored and needs target practice with the acog.

Good locations would be the airfields and the band of military bases that stretch from nwaf to Pavlovo, good 4-5 installations on that band

i've always avoided airfields and military bases for pvp player hunting. everyone is on their guard and chances are you're not the only overwatch hiding in a tree. high traffic areas that don't run a lot of pvp are the best hunting grounds.

My reply was for Sotha, who is looking for a boomstick, for PVP I'd agree that airfields are not good hunting unless you're a thrill of the kill kinda guy. Elektro/Berezino and probably Novy/Stary would be the good hunting grounds, even when Stary doesn't have the tents anymore. Polana should be good as well, since it has a supermarket.

How about Polana? Should be close enough Berezino to catch the people skipping the Berezino slaughterhouse.

Thanks for the tips. I hope I get to make a new run soon.

Some meta game thoughts:

1) the game refreshes loot when the server is started. That promotes going to a town, looting it, then quitting, waiting until server restarts, then loot the town and move on to the next. It might be better if loot was spawned every time someone enters a town nobody is present. Loot is scarce and the restart makes it even more scarce and you could be just visiting places that were looted already. Also the generation of loot upon entry would promote moving which is more interesting than staying&looting.

</br>2) I saw a video where a guy surprised a sniper by cuffing him. The cuffed guy exited the game as soon as he realized what was happening. Poof, vanished. Does the game penalize in any way exiting when hitting trouble? I mean, anyone could keep their character indefinitely if they just cowardly quitted when they are at gunpoint.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If you battle-log like that a lot and jump between servers all the time, you'll get penalized by having to wait forever to spawn. They're currently working on a system to properly punish people that do this, probably something like a bad player pool or just time-outs.

I hope they make it extreme. something like putting a prompt up first that says "you are in combat, are you sure you wish to log out?" and if you do you wait 20 minutes to spawn any time you log in for a week. add 10 minutes for each subsequent offense and reset the 1 week timer. shit needs to get dealt with. tough to balance with legit game crashes and internet disconnections though.