The Dark Mod Forums

Kubuntu 13.10 can't start darkmod

AluminumHaste

I checked the FAQ, found this:

Does it run in 64 Bit Linux?

Yes, Linux 64 bit is supported. In addition to the steps above, you need 32 bit compatibility libraries, since Doom3 is 32 bit only:

• On SuSE, they should be included.
  • On Ubuntu/Kubuntu, install the package ia32.

For TDM after 1.0, this step should be no longer neccessary:

• Since you cannot install 32 bit libraries on a 64 bit system with the normal package manager, you should use getlibs to install libmng and the boost filesystem lib:

getlibs libmng.so.1 getlibs -l libboost-filesystem1.34.1 Yes I'm running the 64bit version, so tried using that link, it gets to the forums, but the download link to getlibs is 404, ugh. And it's really old, like 2009. Is this still necessary? ia32 packages are apparently no longer supported or used, and download links don't work.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

As a Linux user, I completely understand where you are coming from. If you're still interested though, you need to try and run the game in a terminal so that you can see where it is barfing. It is usually because you don't have some library installed, like libjpeg62. I'm using Lubuntu 13.10 64-bit and TDM runs great. I didn't use getlibs or any other strange hacks to pull in the dependancies. They were all in the package manager.

Perhaps you need libjpeg62:i386 or something?

When you open the terminal, type:

cd darkmod

./thedarkmod.x86

Note that you MUST put a ./ before an executable file that resides in the current directory to run it. Just typing darkmod in the folder will not do it.

And to any Linux distro devs out there, why is there no function that watches for programs to call libraries which are not installed, finds them, and then says to the user: "It looks like the program you just tried to run requires X library. Would you like us to install it now?"

Edited by lost_soul
  • Like 1

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I did try that, from the home directory I typed /darkmod/darkmod.x86, however I had screwed up and had did a chmod -x for some reason. Deleting the file and letting the updater replace it worked fine, but I had to leave for work so didn't get to try again.

I'll try this again later on.

I think for a lot of programs, you need to also be in the directory the components are stored in as well. For example, if you run /darkmod/darkmod.x86 while sitting in your home directory, it will look for the pak files in the current directory (your home directory) and not the actual darkmod directory.

Edited by lost_soul

Yeah working now, terminal showed it was libpng. Got that installed and TDM is working. Was going through the training mission when it just went back to desktop. Exited with Code 0 according to the terminal output.

Hey, at least it works, but only problem now; no sound.

Fez had sound.

I don't know if it's the ATI drivers or what but the interface for Kubuntu is sluggish and unresponsive. Resizing windows is a pain in the ass, and the OS requires you to select a window and once it has focus, then you can make changes to it. Why can't it do that all at once? I can't click and drag a window that's not in focus unless I click on it to select it, then click and drag it. Such a time waster. :angry:<_<

You get no sound at all? I was getting laggy sound until I got rid of the PulseAudio infection. Sometimes the audio lag was over a second!

Anyway, Is your sound functional in other programs? (mp3 players/youtube/whatever)

As I said, my solution is to get rid of PA. If you do that though, many programs which require it will either need to be reconfigured or replaced.

Have you tried:

to solve sound issue do this in Ubuntu 12.04:

edit Darkmod.cfg and replace:

seta s_alsa_pcm "default"

with

seta s_alsa_pcm "plughw:0"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm not familiar enough with the *buntu distros, even though I have a Mint system for editing maps in DR. But if kubuntu uses phonon-gstreamer for the audio backend, you may want to install phonon-vlc, and set that to be the preferred phonon backend.

Check the kde systemsettings > hardware > multimedia > audio... the third tab is "Backend"...choose/move vlc to the top of the list after installing phonon-vlc.

Then logout & back in and see if audio works in TDM.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

The really awesome feature in Linux is that you can move windows by holding Alt and clicking anywhere on them. This comes in handy if part of the window is not on the screen and you need to move it quickly. I use it constantly.

That, plus most KDE apps now do that without having to press ALT...just grab the window in any part of the frame (needs to be the frame, not text or dialog areas). Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8