The Dark Mod Forums

The Zombie genre just got... oh jesus WTF!

Bikerdude

Yawn. Zombies ultra slow... Player runs 40 km/h, can just jump over baddies like Super Mario, tirelessly climbs fences and cars and walls, kills zombies with one strike... Doesn't look very interesting or challenging.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Yawn. Zombies ultra slow... Player runs 40 km/h, can just jump over baddies like Super Mario, tirelessly climbs fences and cars and walls, kills zombies with one strike... Doesn't look very interesting or challenging.

You know, ultra-slow zombies could actually be kinda challenging if they are in huge crowds like they seem to be in this trailer, depends on how hard they hit, which we'd have to see when the game releases.

I do agree that the lack of a fatigue system is kinda bothersome though, but im not really bothered by it much, I just hope they add it in the future.

Yeah. Had a brief discussion about this with my brother. I made a point about how zombie games usually fail to present some sense of urgency and the crushing challenge to survive in a zombie apocalypse- how they are often very cavalier and naive about the whole thing.

But then my brother said that if it'd be a realistic scenario it'd be about a person sitting in a dark room with scarce supplies, counting days until s/he inevitably dies.

I don't think zombie games are my cup of tea (anymore) is the point I'm making. :P

yeah but isnt that an RPG rather than first person..?

Yes?

I guess it's just disappointing to me that nobody designs zombie games like I want to LOL! :P

But you know, it's been a long time since I actually gave a damn about a zombie game, I think the last one was Killing Floor, the UT2k4 mod and that, too, is just a shooter.

( ._.)

Not saying it doesn't look fun, because it does. But I think my mind sorta leans towards the same direction as Sotha's comment earlier. It feels very done.

Yeah. Had a brief discussion about this with my brother. I made a point about how zombie games usually fail to present some sense of urgency and the crushing challenge to survive in a zombie apocalypse- how they are often very cavalier and naive about the whole thing.

But then my brother said that if it'd be a realistic scenario it'd be about a person sitting in a dark room with scarce supplies, counting days until s/he inevitably dies.

I don't think zombie games are my cup of tea (anymore) is the point I'm making. :P

The closest thing to that kind of zombie game is Project Zomboid.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/

For someone seeking something with zombies, I can recommend State of Decay. It's a weird mix of action game, RPG and strategy, where the player leads a small group of survivors in a zombie-infested area. Missions and most of the survivors are randomized - there is nothing better than rescuing a stranded person, only to discover he's an alcoholic, who is an expert, all right - in beer pong.

Things are pretty hectic while playing. There's scavenging (for food, ammo, fuel, building materials and medicines), of course. There's helping your neighbours, if you are into being a good Samaritan. There is dealing with ineptitude of your own people, providing psychological help and rescuing them from danger. One guy can be a constantly aggressive dick who needs constant talks to deal with his issues. Other gets too scared, runs away, spends two days holed up in the public restroom until help arrives. Someone else gets stomach flu or something like that - spends several days doing nothing but puking and, if you don't have an infirmary, can infect others. All these things happened to me in-game, forcing me to constantly delay another important mission and deal with them.

There's nothing like have a stern talking to your friend to help him with overwhelming sadness, then go scavenging and find him moping again. This time he had fear issues.

Despite that, I'm having a time of my life.

I don't care about zombie games either, with the exception of L4D2.

Playing it with friends on realism mode with high difficulty is great. There is never really any guarantee you will survive the campaign, and dying means you are out for the duration of the map, and you really need to operate as a team and cover each other's back to survive. There is always something exhilarating crawling to the safe house with 1 hp after everyone else is dead, only to see that there was a Tank in the safe room, waiting for you.

Atmospheric, challenging, interesting, and every game is different even if you keep playing the original campaigns. One of the best online games I ever played.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I love the large, detailed city that you can run around in. And the rooftops look fun. Also like the idea of strictly melee combat, somewhat like Condemned.

But yeah, it does look like you can just run through/around all the AI and not take much damage. There needs to be more of a challenge.

This vid, near the end, shows some night scenes, which look a little tougher, and has the player doing some sneaking and more stealthy movement:

Edited by brethren

Guess I've always been a fan of the first two Resident Evils (aka Biohazard). I much prefer the slow paced and puzzle heavy gameplay with a good story. Rather than taking on mobs and mobs of zombies, I like it when almost every adversary presents a challenge and one must be careful to conserve ammunition, pay attention to detail, etc etc. I'd love to see something similar from the first person perspective...

No More Room in Hell is a good slow paced zombie game with 1-2 friends so you can't just roflmelee all the zombies. Had quite a few enjoyable hours on it while waiting for DayZ

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080