The Dark Mod Forums

Random Article of the Day...

lost_soul

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://consumerist.com/2017/02/27/fcc-chair-faces-blowback-over-decision-to-undo-isp-privacy-rule/

People often look at me funny or get offended when I say that I hate this country. This article provides a perfect demonstration of why I feel the way that I do. And its just the tip of the iceberg. By the age of 33, I'm tired of the human race in general, and I am no longer interested in prolonging my personal existence any more than absolutely necessary. There is no point in e.g. working out in order to extend my life, when I don't feel like sticking around for another sixty years to see just how bad things will continue to get, anyway. Really, I hope I drop dead inside of a decade.

Edited by kano

Nope, I stand by what I said. Due to the never-ending pursuit of more money and power, the businesses and the bribe-taking puppets who run this country have robbed us of more of our freedoms just within the past twenty years than during the century which preceded that length of time.

Ever since computers and the web went mainstream, this place has been hurtling towards totalitarianism, full speed ahead.

• 1 month later...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/20/bose_sued_privacy/

This is kind of disturbing, but not really a big deal. There are plenty of other brands to choose from that sound just as good, sometimes for a lower price too. If you don't want what you are listening to to be monitored, you can just use a different brand.

This is in contrast to the PC game industry, where I can't just install and play a game by myself anymore without having an online service forcefully crammed up my ass whether I want it or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 3 months later...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/09/us_government_texas_shooting_iphone_backdoor/

Here we go again! If only authorities could get into that phone, they would discover the secret schematics to build a time machine, at which point they could then go back in time and prevent the attack from happening in the first place. Or more likely, it's just people capitalizing on a tragedy to push an agenda, when the fact that the device is encrypted played no role whatsoever in the events that took place. Hobbling encryption would not have stopped this attack, nor will it stop the next one.

This guy was allowed to buy guns in spite of violent behavior. They let this guy slip through the cracks, as they so regularly do.

• 4 months later...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/attverizon-lobbyists-to-aggressively-sue-states-that-enact-net-neutrality/

"Broadband providers have worked hard over the past 20 years to deploy ever more sophisticated, faster and higher-capacity networks, and uphold net neutrality protections for all," USTelecom CEO Jonathan Spalter wrote. "To continue this important work, there is no question we will aggressively challenge state or municipal attempts to fracture the federal regulatory structure that made all this progress possible."

I don't think I've ever seen so much bullshit packed into one paragraph.

• 1 month later...
  • Like 1

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

badge?user=andarson

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

https://mashable.com/article/shooting-live-stream-christchurch/#SnFNvmjBbaqg

If we purge the video from the Internet completely, it will bring the victims back to life.

err...

If we purge the video from the Internet completely, it will prevent a tragedy like this from happening again.

Okay, so that one's not particularly likely either.

I guess they are trying to avoid giving credits to the perpetrators.

badge?user=andarson

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Suppose that MOBA's, MMORPG-ers and other gambling, Skinner Box reliant games don't count.

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/373766/Oxford_University_study_finds_positive_link_between_playing_games_and_wellbeing.php

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

https://www.howtogeek.com/186954/bypass-quora-login-and-see-all-answers/

This is an example of how the Internet as it exists today "sucks my spider-balls". (for those who don't get that, it's an Angry Video Game Nerd reference)

Maybe I want to read some information on a sensitive subject without logging in with digital Stalker numero uno, a.k.a Google, or their right-hand man, a.k.a Fecesbook keeping a log of everything that I have ever researched online. Btw who gave these bastards (Google and Facebook) permission to integrate themselves into literally every website on the planet? Most of the time Google's and Facebook's tracking code just silently runs in the background, draining the user's battery faster, wasting his bandwidth, and compromising his privacy, but this new trend of actively interrupting users like me who know all about what the aforementioned companies do, and demanding that we sign in in order to continue reading is really unsettling. I guess if things go as planned, you won't be able to use the Internet at all without being logged into one of these parasites.

Rant over.

AVGN reference taken from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99l5ddWisgM

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kano said:

https://www.howtogeek.com/186954/bypass-quora-login-and-see-all-answers/

This is an example of how the Internet as it exists today "sucks my spider-balls". (for those who don't get that, it's an Angry Video Game Nerd reference)

Maybe I want to read some information on a sensitive subject without logging in with digital Stalker numero uno, a.k.a Google, or their right-hand man, a.k.a Fecesbook keeping a log of everything that I have ever researched online. Btw who gave these bastards (Google and Facebook) permission to integrate themselves into literally every website on the planet? Most of the time Google's and Facebook's tracking code just silently runs in the background, draining the user's battery faster, wasting his bandwidth, and compromising his privacy, but this new trend of actively interrupting users like me who know all about what the aforementioned companies do, and demanding that we sign in in order to continue reading is really unsettling. I guess if things go as planned, you won't be able to use the Internet at all without being logged into one of these parasites.

Rant over.

AVGN reference taken from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99l5ddWisgM

Well, it's true. They're selling our data and making us poorer and poorer every day. The irony is that the concept of privacy appeared in the US. Now, the EU leads the most courageous efforts to defend our privacy and personal data.

badge?user=andarson