The Dark Mod Forums

Random Article of the Day...

lost_soul

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-11-home-edition-requires-a-microsoft-account-to-complete-setup

Society is going to sleepwalk into a world where consumers get locked out of their personal computer and all information contained therein if their Microsoft, Google, or Facebook account is ever suspended or closed for any reason. And I am going to die with laughter and say "I told you so" when that day comes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is one reason of many why I use linux.

Well, I maintain a dual-boot machine with Windoze on it as well, because I want to play games and linux isn't quite there yet for all the games I want to play. But it's getting closer.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

4 hours ago, thebigh said:

This is one reason of many why I use linux.

Well, I maintain a dual-boot machine with Windoze on it as well, because I want to play games and linux isn't quite there yet for all the games I want to play. But it's getting closer.

Dual boot in any case is the best option, regarding compatibility and some other reasons. Whether we want to or not, Windows has some advantages over Linux in some aspects.
Well at the moment I am quite happy with my Windows 10 (tuned 😏) and the 11 anyway I will not be able to use. Today the update menu had a Pop-up warning me that Windows 11 is not compatible with my CPU (a good laptop that is a bit more than a year old), because Windows 11 is not compatible with AMD Radeon (???), that is, In 2025, when they stop supporting Windows 10 (they say, well, I belive more in 2028-2029), changing to Linux, yes or yes.

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 2 weeks later...

https://apnews.com/article/north-america-us-news-ap-top-news-evel-knievel-ca-state-wire-870b745abdfe41dfa3bb79b49d60f117

The self-taught rocket scientist who believes the Earth is flat propelled himself about 1,000 feet into the air before a hard-landing in the Mojave Desert that left him injured Saturday, March 24, 2018. Hughes tells The Associated Press that he injured his back but is otherwise fine after Saturday's launch near Amboy, Calif. (James Quigg/Daily Press via AP, File)

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Because they won't hit an ice wall or the edge of the Earth or any other wacky thing, and then the guy flying them must be in on The Conspiracy instead of, y'know, coming to the realisation that the flat earth wharrgarble is completely wrong.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

May be an image of one or more people and text that says 'If you drew a dick on a vampire's face while they were sleeping they'd never find out about it.'

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/4/22763641/microsoft-windows-11-expired-certificate-snipping-tool-emoji-picker-issues

You can't stop the trend of corporate software being rigged to depend more and more on the Internet in order to facilitate rent-seeking and user tracking, but you *can* point, laugh and say I told you so.

Remember when all of the programs installed on your computer just worked no matter what? Boy was that an inconvenience!

6 hours ago, kano said:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/4/22763641/microsoft-windows-11-expired-certificate-snipping-tool-emoji-picker-issues

You can't stop the trend of corporate software being rigged to depend more and more on the Internet in order to facilitate rent-seeking and user tracking, but you *can* point, laugh and say I told you so.

Remember when all of the programs installed on your computer just worked no matter what? Boy was that an inconvenience!

The trend of tracking and surveillance practices of user activities, trafficking with this data, apart from being a violation of the right to privacy, is also a great security risk, since after this it is impossible to control what they do with this data and how they protect it.
This is not the first time hundreds of thousands of user data have been leaked, including banking and medical data.

Unfortunately to believe that it only happens in corporate and commercial products and not in FOSS is a great common mistake, FOSS is no guarantee, neither privacy nor security, since the reason and purpose of FOSS has nothing to do with this, but with the development and modification in new products.
For this reason, it is precisely the large corporations, Microsoft, Facebook, Google and others, which develop the  most FOSS products, with distance.

The only thing the user can do is
1 Read the TOS and PP of the product well before use
2 Boycott as much as possible products that use these bad practices of tracking and surveillance.
3 Block and disable these 'spyware' as much as possible, either in the configuration, or by using some external protectors, in Windows for example using this
4 Optionally subscribe to initiatives, like this one, that want to require governments and legislators to prohibit such practices, because these clearly violates the legislation of most civilized countries, just as it is illegal for the postman, or for anyone else, to open your correspondence to read it before delivering it to you. But we say nothing when Google read your e-mail and sell your private data to advertisers.

Putting myself in the perspective of an entity who wants to needlessly integrate the cloud and surveillance into everything for a moment, the trouble with applying this strategy to free and open source software, is that anyone can fork the project and continue development without it.

So although there are sometimes pushes to implement telemetry into FOSS, it usually crashes and burns in the market. E.g. people were going to fork Audacity until they backed down from their push. However, yes, Firefox is filled with telemetry and other undesirable features, because developing a web browser that is compatible with the whole web is extremely tough and expensive, because web standards are an insanely over-complicated mess.

2 hours ago, kano said:

Putting myself in the perspective of an entity who wants to needlessly integrate the cloud and surveillance into everything for a moment, the trouble with applying this strategy to free and open source software, is that anyone can fork the project and continue development without it.

So although there are sometimes pushes to implement telemetry into FOSS, it usually crashes and burns in the market. E.g. people were going to fork Audacity until they backed down from their push. However, yes, Firefox is filled with telemetry and other undesirable features, because developing a web browser that is compatible with the whole web is extremely tough and expensive, because web standards are an insanely over-complicated mess.

Yes, the new web standards certainly require certain APIs, but this has nothing to do with the fact that the vast majority of the APIs used, also in FOSS, are not necessary for compatibility with web pages and only serve to track the activity of the user. 
The basic problem is that trafficking in user data is a business to create income for different companies.
But to create income there are also other methods that do not compromise the privacy and the rights of the users.

I think the absolute greatest success story for FOSS, is Blender. The project has exploded over the past 12 years in terms of functionality, funding, and popularity, and it shows no sign of slowing down. In fact it only seems to be picking up more momentum, with nearly all of the big companies funding it now, and the Blender foundation still has not compromised their principles or their product.

It seems like when they ditched the very limited and obsolete internal renderrer, that was the spark that really got things moving.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/329011-rockstar-pulls-gta-remastered-trilogy-from-pc-due-to-authentication-outage

So, so satisfying. Also cracks me up. Not only do I explicitly NOT want to be forced to go online and made into someone's bitch just to use my own stuff, but I've also lost all desire to pay for products that are deliberately designed to stop working because of circumstances that are outside of my control.

For me, this is like the digital equivalent of a guy going to punch me, but instead, he misses by a significant margin, loses his balance and falls flat on his face, all on his own accord. Satisfying and hilarious at the same time.

Edited by kano

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kano said:

https://www.theregister.com/2022/01/18/foxstuck_firefox_browser_bug_boots/

lol

The more complicated you make a program, the more points of failure you introduce. Any engineer will tell you that. And in this instance it appears that the obsession with collecting every interaction a user has with the program, has backfired.

Rather, like choking on one's own telemetries. Curiosity killed the cat... or the fox in this case.

• 1 month later...

This is why I stick to Linux when possible.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

I use a tweaked W10 (not so easy), which now works fast, stable, with a good privacy. But sure it will be the last Windows version  I use., until it recieve support (at least minimum until 2025, but sure more).

I'm not a fan of changing an OS that works the way I want, if there isn't a need to do so.
For me, the OS, Windows or Linux, is irrelevant, since my main activity is 99% online, where, in view of the Browser, they are all the same, when the OS works as it should.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That strikes me as incredibly weird and creepy.

A House Call

The House of deLisle