The Dark Mod Forums

Random Article of the Day...

lost_soul

If you ever wondered what would happen if the entire volume of the Earth was suddenly replaced by blueberries, wonder no more!

Blueberry Earth

Short answer: an uninhabitable hellscape made of steam and boiling blueberry jam.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 2 weeks later...

May be an image of text that says 'Sorely missed Victorian slang: 8. Gigglemug (always smiling) 7. Bitch the pot (pour the tea) 6. Got the morbs (temporary sadness) 5. Tight as a boiled owl (drunk) 4. Poked up (embarrassed) 3. Sauce-box (the mouth) 2. Cupid's kettle drums (breasts) 1.Not up to dick (unwell)'

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

May be an image of text that says 'Thatcher's Techbase Article Talk Thatcher's Techbase is a mod for Doom II, released by Scottish Doom developer 3D: Doom Daddy Digital on 24 September 2021. Set in the United Kingdom, the player is tasked with killing former prime minister Margaret Thatcher, who has risen from the dead.'

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

• Haha 1

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'me living in 3rd world with scarcity of water watching Netflix teens 'struggling' to find their sexuality: INTERESTING'

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

May be a meme of 7 people and text that says 'GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS AMEPLAY STORY MUSIC ART STYLE CHARACTERS CONTROLS REPLAY VALUE ACCESSIBILITY GRAPHICS'

• Like 1

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

https://libertyjusticecenter.org/media/ab-2098/

Imagine if the government put half as much effort into averting the prospect of potential nuclear war with Russia as they do when it comes to relentlessly jabbing everyone with EUA injections that do not even stop us from getting sick or spreading the virus! A virus that probably more than half the population has already had, anyway.

EDIT: Yep!

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220426/almost-60-percent-infected-by-covid

Edited by kano

I don't buy into antivaxx whaargarble, sorry. I understand the science.

Significantly more balanced and less hysterical coverage can be found here, for instance.

Edited by thebigh
  • Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 2 weeks later...

The big entertainment companies don't want people obtaining the content they produce from random places on the web for free. So in order to combat that trend, they have created a world where you cannot even keep the digital content that you actually bought from them!

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1657022591

Can't argue with logic like this!

40 out of 30 customers agree, nothing makes us want to buy more, than knowing what we already bought, can and will just be arbitrarily revoked and taken away by the seller at any time for any reason.

Edited by kano

the users dont own anything, it is all leased with a wording that implies ownership but in reality it can all be taken away on a moments notice if the powers that be decide it (sad truth but the truth non the less), in the end most wont be hit by that fact cause in the end when we die we loose it all anyway 😉

2 hours ago, revelator said:

in the end most wont be hit by that fact cause in the end when we die we loose it all anyway 😉

Oh another famous quote to add to my list from the man who also said "Human dreams... such fertile ground for the seeds of torment." 😁

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 weeks later...

Palmer Luckey Made a VR Headset That Kills the User If They Die in the Game

The man who created the Oculus Rift has invented a virtual reality headset that will explode the forebrain of a user who dies in a video game.

82SZQZ.png

Full article https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/dy7kbq/palmer-luckey-made-a-vr-headset-that-kills-the-user-if-they-die-in-the-game

A good Christmas gift for serious gamers

• Haha 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 2 weeks later...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/11/major-tax-filing-websites-secretly-share-income-data-with-meta/

Anybody who has been playing the IT game for more than a few years, knows all the rules by now.

1. Big companies do not take "No" for an answer.

2. They always seem to find a way to get their hands on information that they should not have, in one way or another.

3. Enter the phony apology, and the meaningless fines that are a drop in the bucket.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really an article, but... People submitting to tyrannical online services where someone else on the other side of the world can arbitrarily and randomly choose to disable your stuff after taking your money, deserve exactly what they get. I spent years warning consumers about this but no one listens; it's way more fun to point and laugh and say "I told you so" anyway.

https://old.reddit.com/r/metroidvania/comments/zdhfok/it_appears_that_haak_phones_home_to_be_able_to/

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/telehealth/telehealth-startups-share-patient-data-with-big-tech-companies.html

Imagine actually being surprised by this. Big tech companies' objective is to invade every square inch of peoples' privacy, and then invade it some more. lol. Everyone should be clued in by now.

I'm surprised they don't know how much time I spent on the toilet this morning!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The original Fallout 1 can now be played on mobile devices.

https://github.com/alexbatalov/fallout1-ce#readme

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-now-injecting-full-size-ads-on-chrome-website-to-make-you-stay-on-edge/

I sure am glad these guys failed so spectacularly in the phone market. If they had succeeded, then my phone would probably redirect me to whatever restaurant is partnering with them this month when I phone my favorite local pizza chain.

There's a phrase for the activity that is described in this article, and it's "browser hijacking".

21 hours ago, kano said:

I sure am glad these guys failed so spectacularly in the phone market.

I used to have a Nokia Lumia (Windows) phone for 3.5 years (free updates in that period), I was very happy with it. So I disagree. Their ui was i.m.o. better than Android and ios. It was also relativally fast on low resources.

Edited by datiswous

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

I used to have a Nokia Lumia (Windows) phone for 3.5 years (free updates in that period), I was very happy with it. So I disagree. Their ui was i.m.o. better than Android and ios. It was also relativally fast on low resources.

Hmm, it depends. The low-end Microsoft Lumia 550 was rather cheap and had either software or hardware problems with random restarts or freezes when heating. I'm still actively using one. It's as cheap as they get besides button phones. They do seem to be resistant to damage but they're not exactly rugged phones. However there's still something about cheap devices that makes them rugged enough. In the sense that there isn't much to break there in the first place.
Idk if Nokia still makes good stuff or not.

badge?user=andarson