The Dark Mod Forums

Random Article of the Day...

lost_soul

my current phone is a huawei p20 lite but ill soon need a need one with a bigger screen (my darn eyesight is to bad for the small screen of this model) sucks getting old :P.

godot 4 Oo well guess it is time for msys2 to upgrade again i guess, does it still use scons for building or have they changed to cmake ?.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/03/07/tech_demo_makes_pics_from_brainscan/

Though probably inevitable, machines that can read the human mind, are something I hope I never see. The negatives outweigh the positives, especially in the hands of tyrants. And I can't trust that such abilities will only be used in a consensual manor. In fact I'm quite certain that they won't. "You do want to pass this checkpoint and go on that vacation with your girlfriend, don't you? Hop in the scanner, sir."

HP printers are garbage anyway. I've never owned one that worked right. Still more reason to boycott them.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

19 hours ago, thebigh said:

HP printers are garbage anyway. I've never owned one that worked right. Still more reason to boycott them.

Has there ever been a printer, regardless of the manufacturer, that worked right?

Seriously, I can't remember a time in my life where I didn't have printer problems.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

1 hour ago, SeriousToni said:

Has there ever been a printer, regardless of the manufacturer, that worked right?

Seriously, I can't remember a time in my life where I didn't have printer problems.

I'm using a Brother J4440 that I'm reasonably happy with.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

1 hour ago, SeriousToni said:

Agreed.  I have an Epson that is at least 10 years old.  I would estimate that about 50% of the time when I go to print something, it doesn't work.  Either a paper jam, or some mysterious ink problem or something else that only a series of rebooting, cancelling/retrying print jobs, fiddling with buttons or jiggling things can fix. After which, I still won't know what the problem was.  The frustrating thing is, it just won't die and we don't use it THAT much that I can justify getting a new one (and the last thing I want is another printer).  I literally fantasize about taking a baseball bat to it.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

I literally fantasize about taking a baseball bat to it.

ylHGCn5.gif

Anyway I have a Canon multi-function inkjet... something-or-other, and as far as inkjets go I've been using Canon printers for quite a while. Yes they're inkjets but at least I can use cheaper off-brand cartridges and it doesn't give me shit about it, plus the drivers are quite reasonable and non-intrusive compared to HP drivers.

I think I actually use the scanner feature of the multi-function more often than the printer itself, and the nice thing is that unlike some other manufacturers/models, it won't stop me from scanning if the ink has run out.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

got an older pricey hp with scanner, works like a charm still even though it is more than 20 years old. weighs a ton compared to modern models and the cartridges are becomming a pain to get hold of. probably one of the first models with wifi came out about the time of win 98 SE and needs a cable plugged in to setup the wifi connection. strangely it works just as well with win10 as it did with win 98 (last driver made for it was for XP so that speaks volumes for the stability of it).

color prints are a bit dull on it but that is most likely because the heads need a good cleaning, i allmost newer use it for printing color sheets anyway :)

On 3/2/2023 at 2:53 PM, datiswous said:

I wondered if the new movie maker mode could be useful to make movies for TDM.

1. Import assets in Godot
  2. Create movie
  3. Place movie in tdm

This is just an idea I had, I'm not saying it is better than doing it TDM, but an interesting consideration.

Edited by datiswous

• 4 weeks later...

sadly not gonna happen, your pc is no longer yours does not matter what dough you paid for it (atleast if it is running windows/OSX/android offshots). Could go linux but that means having to deal with some stuff we are no longer used to like having to configure certain things for stuff we rely on to work (games come to mind though it is miles better now than it was years back thanks to steam endorsing it). some BSD variants are pretty cool but require even more configuring if you can even get them to work on your uber hardware (the devil with BSD is that it was left behind when linux took off due to some nastiness around licensing rights which turned out to be hogwash but by then it was to late).

2 hours ago, revelator said:

sadly not gonna happen, your pc is no longer yours does not matter what dough you paid for it (atleast if it is running windows/OSX/android offshots). Could go linux but that means having to deal with some stuff we are no longer used to like having to configure certain things for stuff we rely on to work (games come to mind though it is miles better now than it was years back thanks to steam endorsing it). some BSD variants are pretty cool but require even more configuring if you can even get them to work on your uber hardware (the devil with BSD is that it was left behind when linux took off due to some nastiness around licensing rights which turned out to be hogwash but by then it was to late).

I use Linux already, but sometimes people want me to look at their Windows computers. Funny story, an old lady that I used to know would come to me when she had computer problems. So, one time she wanted me to fix up her Windows laptop, and I gave her a laptop running Linux. I actually wanted her to get a Chromebook, but she was broke, as by that point I was already fed up with Windows and not interested in dealing with it anymore. Anyway, she used the thing for a year or two, was happy with it, then she passed away. Her daughter took over her things, and at that point, the daughter had a choice of laptops; the old crappy one with Windows, and the slightly less old and slightly less crappy one with Linux. And guess which one she took. ha-ha-ha

I think the best way to get revenge against Microsoft isn't to pirate their software, but to instead help transition friends and family to something else. The geeks can make them irrelevant in consumer space, and these sleazy tactics do not fly in the corporate world. Pretty much all of the people I know who can afford to, have already left Windows for Macs.

for everyday use where you dont use a ton of programs / games i agree linux is pretty damn good for people who dont muck around with things to much. for an old windows power user who has been around since before the DOS days it is a bit more demanding but most of us can figure out how to get our stuff working. Then there are the next generation users who grew up on windows and have newer had to use the commandline and who are so used to everything being online all the time that most newer give a shit about loosing theyre data to greedy companies or being able to play a singleplayer game if the network goes down 🤣 hell most movies today refuse to play if they cant get the license from the net unless you use players who just dont give a ...

I use only singleplayer games (TDM is a nice one,you know? 😏), I don't like the gamer gildes of the MMORPG, Iwant to go to my like in a game.

Yes, tho good old MSDOS times, creating pseudo UI with ANSI codes and writing Batch files (apart, old MSDOS is released as OpenSource, if someone want). First Windows was an experience, between crashes, BSOD and desperate wanting to throw the thing out the window for the eternal updates. But it was no longer necessary to use the commandline, although you can continue using it even in current Windows. In Linux it is still more necessary, but also less and less. The logic is the same in the commands, they only differ between DOS and Linux with different names for the commands and for this reason Linux for old Windows users from the dawn of time is not a big problem either.

https://www.windows93.net

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

for the most part it is indeed only the commands that differ :) some are even the same as on DOS with maybe a few differences like echo then there are some that we also had in dos like rm=remove cp=copy the unix variants have more options but besides that the functionality is mostly the same dir in unix is called ls though. where linux can still be a bit hard for the uninvited is when it comes to drivers, linux has nothing with the functionality of the device manager from windows and making one is allmost impossible due to how things work in a unix environment. you can get something that shows you installed devices but it does not allow you to change driver parameters or for that matter the driver, you still need to do that with commands. sure back in the DOS days we mostly had to do the same (setting IRQ's DMA etc.) but the commands used were quite a bit simpler as well. where linux would truely shine would be in something with a predetermined hardware set (like a steam deck or steam box) for a gamer atleast, my guess is that is why they decided it would be a good project.

also unix is quite a bit more secure by default than windows, thats not to say you cant get an infection but it is usually not fatal.

also the sheer amount of programs you can get many of which have the same functionality but rely on certain OS gui features (OpenBOX MIR or other variants of the X WIndow system) which not allways play well with the choosen variant you decide to use. In essence it has become a mess and while it is great for those who like as many choices as possible it does have its pitfalls.

Well, for a gamer Windows is the best option. Security is relative in Linux. It is not that Linux cannot be seriously affected by malware, if it can, there is malware that can turn any PC into a paperweight, directly affecting the bootsector. There have been some of these since the 90's.

Currently, although it may not seem like it, Windows is the most resistant OS against Viruses and Malware, for the simple reason that it is the majority OS and therefore the most attacked, while Linux is still a minority OS with more than fifty different distros and never for this reason, it has been the main target of attacks, the same goes for Macs. With a difference that for Macs there are AVs available apart from the default one, which does not exist for Linux, there is no AV that deserves this name for Linux.

A dedicated RootKit or similar can give a Linux PC the good night, while even the current Windows Defender itself can kill it, apart from an efficient Sandbox system that has W10 and 11 as well, plus dozens of excellent AVs that are available for this OS.

Another difference is that the saved passwords, in Linux, once logged in, are accessible in plain text, in Window there is a second Keyring that keeps them encrypted and only visible with the system password. Security is not the problem with Windows today, but privacy which it has by default with all the telemetries, if the user don't change it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

On 4/27/2023 at 11:26 AM, Zerg Rush said:

Currently, although it may not seem like it, Windows is the most resistant OS against Viruses and Malware

I never realised Bill Gates was a member of these forums. Welcome to the community! I hope you enjoy The Dark Mod. Perhaps your Foundation could help pay for the server hosting or fund the development of some new features?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I never realised Bill Gates was a member of these forums. Welcome to the community! I hope you enjoy The Dark Mod. Perhaps your Foundation could help pay for the server hosting or fund the development of some new features?

I'll see what I can do, first I will ask Melinda and the foundation, but I think that 2 o 3 bucks are possible next year

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-boot-guard-private-keys-have-reportedly-leaked-compromising-the-security-of-many-computers/

All I want for Christmas is the ability to lock down the firmware on my motherboard with a write-protect jumper or switch so that it cannot be changed or hacked by random software without me knowing.

Firmware is a very special thing; it should be as small and simple as possible, not easy to change unless absolutely necessary, and the user should have assurance that nobody can mess with or reprogram it but them.

But instead, we are moving to a world where you have to upgrade firmware every time Netflix or Disney say so, and if the power goes out half way through the process and your equipment gets wrecked as a result, "here's a quarter, phone someone who cares".