The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.8.1 pre-release Test

Here's a pre-release version of DR 1.8.1 which might need some sanity-testing. Any volunteers giving feedback about this build are welcome to download the appropriate package below.

Important: The .darkradiant file syntax has been extended to allow for SelectionSet persistence. This means that older versions of DarkRadiant (1.8.0 and earlier) can't read the .darkradiant file and will discard your layers. It's possible though to manually edit the .darkradiant file and remove the SelectionSet info to make it compatible with earlier DR versions, just take care of your backups.

Please pay special attention to selecting, de-selecting and showing/hiding stuff, I changed some of the algorithms, fixed bugs and made them more efficient. I did some testing, but I'm not doing any full-size mapping.

Also, save and load routines have been tweaked to allow for Quake 3 support, plus Selection Sets are saved and restored along in the .darkradiant file now.

edit: What I forgot to say: this preview also contains a small fix with regards to precision issues when manipulating func_static brushes, maybe this problem is a bit less serious now.

32 Bit: http://www.dramtheth...8.1pre2-x86.exe

64 Bit: http://www.dramtheth...8.1pre2-x64.exe

Edited by greebo
corrected links

To make a .darkradiant file saved with 1.8.1+ compatible to DarkRadiant 1.8.0 and earlier, please open the .darkradiant file in a text editor and remove the SelectionSet block (the SelectionSets keyword plus the block including the opening and closing curly brace:

SelectionSets
{
 SelectionSet 0 { "Stairs" }  { (0 1) }
}

To make a .darkradiant file saved with 1.8.1+ compatible to DarkRadiant 1.8.0 and earlier, please open the .darkradiant file in a text editor and remove the SelectionSet block (the SelectionSets keyword plus the block including the opening and closing curly brace:

I've just opened up a 1.8.0 .darkradiant file and it doesn't have these lines to remove. So would it be save to say that these lines only get added to a newly created .darkradient file?

Thanks for links.

I've just opened up a 1.8.0 .darkradiant file and it does have these lines to remove. So would it be save to say that these lines only get added to a newly created .darkradient file?

Do you mean "does not"?

My understanding is those lines are put into newly saved 1.8.1 files, causing the ramifications noted in red in the OP. To properly load a new 1.8.1 version into the old version, you'd have to remove those lines. (Not having done it, just what I read.) If everything is working fine in the new version and you don't need to load back into the previous, then there'd be no need to do so.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Sorry for the link failure and thanks for correcting them.

DR 1.8.0 doesn't save the SelectionSet info, only 1.8.1+ does this, so as long as you move back to 1.8.0 you don't have to do anything.

What I forgot to say: this release also contains a small fix with regards to precision issues when manipulating func_static brushes, maybe this problem is a bit less serious now.

After a few hours, mostly of adjusting paths (sorry, I'd designed the room before downloading), I did a lot of hiding in DR, I use keyboard shortcuts for hide, unhide all, and just show selected, which all worked flawlessly.

I moved some entities as selected groups. No troubles there either.

I didn't actually use it for it's intended purpose, but did notice a minor issue with the new AI panel. If you have an AI selected while viewing a different tab such as "Entity", then click on the AI tab, everything is ghosted out/unusable. You must deselect and reselect the AI for the panel to not be grayed out. (Since deselecting is kind of a pain in DR, this is somewhat annoying.)

To put it another way, the sequence, go to AI panel, then select AI will work. However if you have an AI already selected and go to the new panel, it will be unusable without an additional non-apparent action.

(I'm presuming the check verifying the entity selected is in fact an AI happens only when you are already on that panel and selecting something fresh.)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

To put it another way, the sequence, go to AI panel, then select AI will work. However if you have an AI already selected and go to the new panel, it will be unusable without an additional non-apparent action.

I can't reproduce this. I put a builder guard in my newly loaded map, keep it selected, then switch to the panel (for the first time in this DR session) and it's active. I tried to de-select it, switch to "Entity", then select the guard and switch to the AI panel, all working.

Maybe I'm missing a step. Got more detailed repro steps?

Yay! It runs in wine. If all works properly, I might not have to reboot into Mint anymore*.

That AI panel looks awesome. Can't wait to use it. :)

*Close, but can't work with audio. No ability to select audio files for speakers etc.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I can't reproduce this. I put a builder guard in my newly loaded map, keep it selected, then switch to the panel (for the first time in this DR session) and it's active. I tried to de-select it, switch to "Entity", then select the guard and switch to the AI panel, all working.

Maybe I'm missing a step. Got more detailed repro steps?

Oh? Curious. Let's see.

I quit DR. Got it to work as you just describe. Reloaded my WIP map, for the first time for me it also worked as you describe. Then I selected a worldspawn brush, switched to the AI panel, ghosted (as it should be). I went back to Entity panel, selected an AI in my map, returned to the AI panel and it remained grayed until I deselected/re-highlighted the AI.

I chose New Map from file menu, again drew out and used Make Room, inserted entity AI, switched to the AI panel and this time it was all grayed out!

So perhaps the issue is having gone to the AI panel with something other than an AI selected first? Let me poke more (I'm documenting this right as I've done it so I don't forget details an hour from now).

Weird. This time I brought up DR, loaded my WIP, selected a path node, and the AI tab came up all highlighted!? Other non-worldspawn brought up the same and this is new, switching to it now with a worldspawn brush active also has it highlighted.

Ah, OK, this is what I get for testing while eating, before the meal has digested. ;-) The key might be whatever you have selected when leaving the AI tab?

Oy, and now I've run through it and not been able to get it to happen and then got it to happen but not how I was anticipating.

Let's start with these steps:

1. Load DR

2. Draw out brush.

3. Make Room.

4. Deselect.

5. Right menu insert entity -> AI (any)

6. Deselect.

7. Move around view to get AI in camera window.

8. Hit N to open Entity panel (note nothing selected).

Now we'll have variance. (I used "!" to mark unexpected results.)

9. Select worldspawn brush (behind AI).

10. Click AI tab, observe fields active (not ghosted/grayed)!

11. Deselect and re-select worldspawn (while staying on AI tab), observe panel goes grey upon deselect and remains so.

12. With worldspawn still highlighted, switch to Entity panel.

13. Deselect worldspawn, select AI.

14. Switch to AI tab, observe fields inactive/ghosted!

Now I'm having trouble recreating the new circumstance of the AI panel being active on everything, but wanted to report this part before trying to figure out what caused the other.

It also seems once the "remains inactive" behavior is triggered, it remains behaving that way until reload. While the other behaviors might not.

Still no luck, I'm exactly following your steps. Worldspawn brushes don't do anything on the AI panel, nor can I get it to the greyed out state with an AI selected. Not sure what would be able to cause this.

Anything shown in the console when the bad behaviour kicks in?

OK, my theory is where you are when the first deselect happens establishes the behavior.

I keep re-writing this post, as it's layered complexity doesn't permit a simple breakdown. I was thinking there are three resulting behaviors, but that's not quite right. There are three effects, but only two are related, however all three probably stem from the same issue.

First, the AI tab will always be highlighted when you go to it, if you have deselected in any tab other than the AI tab (worldspawn, AI, nothing, multiple items). (See repro below.) This is negated once you deselect with the AI tab active.

Now what occurs depends on the state of the AI tab when you leave it:

If you select an AI, so you leave the AI tab active, it functions as expected, assuming an expected state based upon what you have selected when you return to it.

If you leave it inactive/ghosted/grayed out, when you return to it, it will remain that way until the user deselects and selects an AI.

To repro the always active condition:

Repeat steps 1-8 from previous post.

9. With nothing selected, click the tab for the AI panel, observe it's active!

10. Switch back to the Entity panel.

11. Select AI.

12. Click AI tab, observe it's active.

13. Switch to Entity panel.

14. Deselect, then select worldspawn.

15. Switch to AI tab, observe panel is active!

16. Switch to Entity tab.

17. Deselect and do not select anything.

18. Switch to AI tab, observe panel is active!

Note, that even if you have worldspawn or another entity (non-AI) selected and the AI panel active, clicking the panel does not add those spawnargs to worldspawn. The skin/head/etc. buttons do not bring up their respective choosers UI elements. This is even true if the associate item has the skin spawnarg (such as a banner model). So apparently the UI ghosting is independent of the underlying functionality control.

PS: To correct one item of my previous post, you do not need to quit/reload DR to clear any of these conditions. The work-around to regain expected functionality, go to the AI tab, deselect, select an AI, leave the AI tab.

Anything shown in the console when the bad behaviour kicks in?

Sorry, just saw this reply after posting my previous, which might make it clearer?

I just checked the console, left the AI panel with a brush selected, nothing new on console, selected an AI, returned to AI panel to see it inactive, returned to console, zilch.

Windows 7, SP 1, 64 bit (and 64 bit DR).

About shows GTK+ version 2.24.8

gtkmm 2.24.2

Edited by RJFerret

That's the same I'm using, so that's probably not the case.

I can do some workarounds or hacks, but first I'd like to wait if other users are affected too. angua can't reproduce it either.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll post the most recent build anyway:

x64: http://ftp.thedarkmod.com/darkradiant/darkradiant-1.8.1pre4-x64.exe

Important: you'll need to install the VC++ 2012 Redistributables from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 (click download, then choose the VSU_4\vcredist_x64.exe one)

Please somebody let me know if this version works for them, this would be appreciated. I want to leave the VC++ 2010 system behind and switch to VC++ 2012.