The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.8.1 pre-release Test

I didn't see any info on the wiki about simply typing to pop up the search box (although it's been mentioned in the forums), so added:

Ah now I never knew about that, thanks for adding it to the wiki. You may want to add this toi the tip of the day thread.

@Greebo, shall I close the tracker? that said it would nice to have a search boix always displayed etc.

I'm looking at the "AI" tab for the first time.

Very useful!

However, near the bottom, I see a checkbox labeled "AI can drown".

On a human AI, this box is unchecked.

Which made me look at the *.def for humans, and at the code that reads "can_drown".

Humans aren't given a "can_drown" spawnarg by default.

The code assumes the default is "1" (yes, it can drown).

So DR tells me the AI can't drown, but in the game, it can.

Appears there's a disconnect with this checkbox.

when i make a speaker. it makes me select an audio file

aftere i have finished. i check entity inspector.. and it only has the file name, its missing the /xx/xx/ paths

is this normal, my settings or something is up with edd

The string assigned represents a sound definition in the sound/*/*.sndshd files. That's where the file names and attributes of each sound are defined.

i am usung an xreal mod and it used to work on an old version of DR.

i have 1 sound shader file.. linking to all audio files in there sub directories

if i edit the shaders in the file to be backslash (\*\*, i can see the full length path in entity window.

if i try doom 3 and the shader has a long path, it shortens it the same. it works correct in old version of DR

I'm think you've discovered a "feature" of the map file format required by the original doom3 engine, which does our dmapping. It stores brush faces in plane-normal format rather than storing vertex coordinates. Each brush is stored as a collection of planes, and where the planes intersect defines where the edges are. The planes are stored using 2 measurements: angle to the plane's normal, and distance of the plane from the origin. That means that as you get further away from the origin, there's greater potential for error. A difference of 0.00001 in the angle doesn't mean much when the plane is 1000 units away from the origin, but it means a lot when it's 50000 units away. Repeatedly moving stuff means that floating-point errors will accumulate as you drag brshes around, and the further away from the origin you move stuff, the more noticeable the effect is.

It used to cause more problems than it does now. There were fixes for the worst consequences in 1.8.0. Thread: http://forums.thedar...hifting-planes/

If this is the root cause of your problem, then I can't see it being changed any time soon -- huge job, and there's a workaround: build round the origin, don't move the entire level far from the origin, and it should be fine.

Is the "box" on the left (with the missing sides in orthoview) a cylinder with patch subdividions fixed at 1? If so, does it look the same if you increase the subdivisions? I've not got a theory here, just trying to understand what we're looking at.

If this is the root cause of your problem, then I can't see it being changed any time soon -- huge job, and there's a workaround: build round the origin, don't move the entire level far from the origin, and it should be fine.

Well, huge job in what sense? Maybe using double precision would solve the problem?

That's in no way a workaround for large outdoor levels.

At some point on a large outdoor level, you'll have a limit/edge. If you want to continue beyond that, you'll probably port the player to a different elevation to continue on fresh terrain. Instead of having that edge beyond what's workable/reasonable, simply have it within. That's not a problem really, just the nature of the medium.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

if you make the brushes into a grouped entity like func_group. does that help when u want to move it to the outers of the map?

i beleave the brushes take on a new origin. the centre of the group. moving it moves the brushes and the origin together

i did try a small test and it does change brushes some what. but probly no where near as the extreme you are geting

Modified python script to fix Bikerdude's tracker issue 3690: Select all models of same type: not working anymore.

It's only a tiny tweak (1 line added to supply a missing return value that had no effect in this script in earlier DR versions). Save the attached file to DarkRadiant/scripts/commands, overwriting the original, and remove the .txt extension as usual.

I'll submit this to github for greebo's consideration just as soon as I can get the damn software working. Apparently there's a push bug in the latest windows GIT release and having foolishly tried to fix it without completely wiping my hard drive and starting from a fresh install of windows, I've just spent 2 hours failing to repair my git installation. So I'm going to call it quits and do something more productive. In the meantime, here's the proposed fix for 1.8.1 testers --> select_all_models_of_type.py.txt

At some point on a large outdoor level, you'll have a limit/edge. If you want to continue beyond that, you'll probably port the player to a different elevation to continue on fresh terrain. Instead of having that edge beyond what's workable/reasonable, simply have it within. That's not a problem really, just the nature of the medium.

There are different limits. Double precision would solve the issues, but it's not quite easy to do to my understanding.

Having wide open terrain and teleporting player to another chunk of terrain that is somewhere above or below original one, but shifted to be within 32k x 32k units around 0 0 0 of the map isn't quite easy to implement, and requires teleporting all entities and preserving their states. That alone makes game code more complex and prone to bugs.

I don't know whether double precision is used or could help or not, but there's no need for workarounds. Even the biggest maps are only about 10k units across. WS3 is 9x7k, Requiem is 6x6x6, and the biggest span I can see is NHAT3 at 4x15k. Why drag a collection of brushes 50k units to the edge of the grid? Aside from the size, maps get built in place not dragged around, and not at the edge of the grid (which isn't supported, as you've noticed).

DarkRadiant isn't just used by TheDarkMod level designers ;)

Once we release Storm Engine 2, I am sure people will be using DarkRadiant more and for large maps.

Currently largest map we have is ~120k x 120k, and it could be larger (or use vertical space to fake larger landscape and teleport player there; kinda like stacked worlds).

Ah I see. Does storm engine use the same plane-normal map format or do you use a parser or plugin? I'm only just beginning to study DR but if I spot anything that might help as I read through it I'll share it. I'll start up another thread if I do -- this isn't a 1.8.1 issue.

Storm Engine 2 is a modified Doom 3 BFG engine, so it uses same map format as Doom 3.

Since DR's latest version is 1.8.1, then it makes sense to discuss it here I think. I am not sure if it worth starting new thread about it - there is nothing else to say or add more to the bug report I did.