The Dark Mod Forums

When is someone gonna make an Egyptian based mission?

Bikerdude

Might have to do with the lack of Egyptian-style assets (textures, models and AI). After all, Thief came with the Lost City, and that mission had a lot of stuff to work with.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Might have to do with the lack of Egyptian-style assets (textures, models and AI). After all, Thief came with the Lost City, and that mission had a lot of stuff to work with.

Well in that case I will have to have a look through the resent TG pack and updated EP2 packs to glean what we need!

I don't know about you guys but my feeling for an egyptian sort of mission wouldn't be fully Thief like.. it's moreso indiana jones/tomb raider style so maybe thats why no one has focussed on it (I think it would be very cool though).

I was discussing TDM with a friend of mine the other day and he suggested a rather good idea that someone should release an adventure styled map. It wouldn't have to be purely about stealing just dealing with obstacles/traps and things of that nature and I think that is a rather good idea for a map.

Maybe after we get some more egyptian style textures (even some mummy AI's) we could even setup a competition with that as the theme?\

I don't know how well the engine could handle it, if it could handle it at all but imagine a scene where you just stole some rare artifact then suddenly scarabs start pouring out everywhere and you have to run away and escape from them! That would be pretty fun :)

OkmRmPv.jpg

• I was discussing TDM with a friend of mine the other day and he suggested a rather good idea that someone should release an adventure styled map. It wouldn't have to be purely about stealing just dealing with obstacles/traps and things of that nature and I think that is a rather good idea for a map.
  • Maybe after we get some more egyptian style textures (even some mummy AI's) we could even setup a competition with that as the theme?\

• As it heppens a mission that Gold, Alum and myself are working on is just that and its set in a castle!
  • I'll get on the case.

• As it heppens a mission that Gold, Alum and myself are working on is just that and its set in a castle!
  • I'll get on the case.

Excellent! I will let my friend know he will be right into that as will myself. Hopefully my laptop can handle it though as it looks like a very big and beautiful mission

I was discussing TDM with a friend of mine the other day and he suggested a rather good idea that someone should release an adventure styled map. It wouldn't have to be purely about stealing just dealing with obstacles/traps and things of that nature and I think that is a rather good idea for a map.

There is such a map under development ;)

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I was thinking, the Quake Mission Pack 2 --Dissolution of Eternity-- has some Egyptian themed level (e.g., Curse of Osiris), besides as everything in official quake there are improved free textures (Quakeone). It would be technically possible to import those?

The lack of related AIs would be still a problem however.

Edited by ezze

I don't know about you guys but my feeling for an egyptian sort of mission wouldn't be fully Thief like.. it's moreso indiana jones/tomb raider style so maybe thats why no one has focussed on it (I think it would be very cool though).

I think is possible. A thief normally besides looking for loot and finding secrets, knows as well how to disarm traps.

I double checked and I think it is worth checking it out.

Please, download this package, unpack it somewhere, inside the id1 directory are mp2_prerelease_normals-high.pk3, and mp2_prerelease_textures.pk3 files.

The textures should be big enough (1024 or 512px usually), but it seems there aren't all normal maps. But the notes in the readmes make me think they are in the other packs.

Edited by ezze

Enclosed three screenshots showing some of the assets. The license should be free enough for TDM fan missions. There are even mummies, but they definitely need touch-ups for TDM (animations for example...).

Edited by ezze

Glad it can help, I would really see new themes in the levels. While browsing the textures, did you see there are also some Mesoamerican themed? Mesoamerican theme could also be nice. It fits well with the pagan faction.

Edited by ezze

I read the wiki :) I started with this page Basic Material File, then I moved to How to add Textures to The Dark Mod, and finally the fidcal page about the creation. I also have some Gimp knowledge.

Besides, I asked explicitly in the quake forum if it is possible to use that textures, and yes it is possible, provided they mention the http://qrp.quakeone.com website and the project name: --Quake Revitalization Project-- in the readmes.

The answer contains a link to a Hexen2 (an Egyptian themed game!) retexturing project!

Edited by ezze

Grand wilkl I suggest using Notepad++ and doing the copying and pasting there. You dont need to go mad, just take a std TDM material def and copy and paste the name of the new textures into etc.

Also to limit what you need to do, I would suggest limiting your work to JUST the ejyption testures for now.