The Dark Mod Forums

Where are you from?

Deadlove

I love the pictures of you homes guys. It would be cool if some of you made an FM that was inspired by the look of the cities you lived in. It could take place in somewhere other than Bridgeport and would be something very special and unique.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I live and work in the entertainment industry, in Los Angeles.

Not for Square Enix, I take it? ;)

• Like 1

Can't help my curiosity - in what capacity?

I'm a musician/composer/sound designer...although after many years in the biz, I've had experience in other areas, including producing and conceptual design.

Not for Square Enix, I take it? ;)

Not yet... :P

Edited by Vae

I'm originally from Finland, would have stayed there forever if I had a say in it, but ended up having to move away thanks to a passing in the family and consequent departure of the other half. I even opted in to a year's service in the army to put off having to make the leap. It's only mandatory for the men but also an option for cowardly women... =P

Now I'm living in England in the Lake District (home away from home what with all the water) working as a network manager in a nearby hospital, nothing glamorous!

Lake-Windermere.JPG

• Like 3

That's the waterfront of Windermere, the little town I live in, probably should have said. All the living space towards the front there is ridiculously expensive, almost as much as the manors you get out on the islands in the lake. I live further up towards the back of the town in the tiniest of houses. They're all squished together rather than having low ceilings, with one room per floor similar to those thin terraced buildings in the center here:

Windermere_-_Main_Road.jpg

It's a nice place to live but very small and usually populated with more tourists than locals. You never see the waterfront as quiet as in that first picture so I have no idea when they took it =P

I'm originally from Finland, I even opted in to a year's service in the army to put off having to make the leap. Now I'm living in England in Windermere in the Lake District

I was about to say Finland looks nice and then read its over here, I need to go and see more and my own country more! Maybe this summer I will take a spin up there on the Fazer.

Finland is nice! It's about 99.9% water and its population is still pretty much at tribe numbers but I consider that a blessing.

With regards to the Lakes, there's plenty of swirling roads through the forests just to get anywhere, my work included. I've never been a road biker though, just enjoyed the hell out of trial riding in Finland on a beat-up, second-hand Yamaha YZ400F. I have scars to remember it by, given my average clumsiness.

Oh wouldn't it be nice to live in a country with architecture old enough to be useful to TDM :(

• Like 2

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Oh wouldn't it be nice to live in a country with architecture old enough to be useful to TDM :(

I suppose Native American tepees would suit? LOL

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

You've got 1700's stuff at least, reasonably fitting. Everything here is 1840 onwards. Castles? Nope. Those awesome pictures the Euro's keep posting of those lovely cluttered windy streets with the beautiful buildings? Nope :(. If I tried to make an FM based on where I live, it would be a performance nightmare not even the proud dwarves of Middle Earth could fashion a PC to handle.

Edited by Xarg
  • Like 1

You've got 1700's stuff at least, reasonably fitting. Everything here is 1840 onwards. Castles? Nope. Those awesome pictures the Euro's keep posting of those lovely cluttered windy streets with the beautiful buildings? Nope :(. If I tried to make an FM based on where I live, it would be a performance nightmare not even the proud dwarves of Middle Earth could fashion a PC to handle.

Location isn't everything. As a TDM mapper, Google images / maps is my best friend. Also movies that are roughly in the same time period as TDM can also be very inspirational. Check out the new Sherlock Holmes movies with Downy & Law.

Also fire up FMs by TDM SUPERGODS!!! such as Melan, Goldchocobo, Bikerdude, and go into notarget mode. What makes their buildings so distinctive? What makes them come alive? What is it about the architecture that evokes the time period of TDM?

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

It's not everything, but it's something. Flat 2d pictures/movies don't bring it to life for me the way being able to actually be there would, but maybe that's just me being spatial translation challenged, or something. Give me the tools, I'll figure out or fake a blueprint and build something.. give me the blueprint, I'll figure out or fake the tools and build something... give me neither, and I'll either take forever to build something, or get distracted with feature creep because wouldn't it be cool if all 30 rooms attempted to simulate some small aspect of light reflection and pupil dilation based on the light sources..

wouldn't it be cool if all 30 rooms attempted to simulate some small aspect of light reflection and pupil dilation based on the light sources..

Don't forget to discombobulate each room's flanges.

those lovely cluttered windy streets

I rented a place in Whitby for a couple of years and can safely say it's a thoroughly enchanting place. As a whole it looks great at night and has a ton of Celtic and Gothic heritage:

Whitby-at-night1.jpg

It's just generally a really, really cosy place to live. The houses are like hobbit holes, sunken into the ground; luckily I'm only 4'10". There's one pub my friends and I went to just about every other night that was sunken into the ground too; it's a trend because the whole town is built on opposing sides of a valley, making everything on an incline of some sort. It was just cosy, it's the only word I can really think of to describe it. Somehow the smooshed architecture and tiny cobblestone roads (no cars at all aside from the center around the seawalls) just makes it feel very homely. I certainly miss half-falling down the too-steep hill into a little bustling, warmly lit bar. I think that's what I appreciate most about the kind of period the Thief series and TDM are set around. Although they're only ever really set in cities, it's the same sort of era that saw quaint towns and fishing villages like Whitby spring up in earnest.

grape_lane.jpg

Whitby_Street.JPG

DSC_1456.jpgP2160212.jpg

whitby-north-yorkshire-32.jpg

Note to self: make an FM set in a similar place once I'm done with this initial (read crumby) one.

• Like 4

^ And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what I'm talking about. I'd love to be able to go into a few of those buildings, assuming they haven't had the soul renovated out of them with modern conventions, and take pictures of the interior, and sketch a rough floorplan. When I don't have a blueprint I can work with, no matter how good anything I build is, to me it just lacks authenticity. Which is a real motivation killer, because it just feels like I'm building a box in a game, and not designing something that someone actually lived in/conducted business from.

Edited by Xarg
  • Like 1

I'm pretty much the same, although I can get by with knowledge of the nature of their interiors, rather than an actual layout. My house had really low ceilings and worn, smooth stone floors with a couple of steps between each room and beams all over the place. Knowing that, I could adapt it to any floor plan and be satisfied by it.

Edited by Airship Ballet