The Dark Mod Forums

Ultimate Difficult Mod

sparhawk

Well for FMs that have their own ... can't remember the name of the file, but that's only the very few that have modified AI behaviours - their behaviours will override the difficulty mod's behaviours, and you won't get things like super fast zombies, but other stuff still works.

I just played an FM with the Ultimate Difficulty Mod and I'm not really impressed. Quite on the contrary. I tried to blackjack a guard and it had a hard helmet on. And what happened? NOTHING!

The guard didn't even react, only a minor sentence and then it turned back again. I was already surprised because the other guard should have seen me shortly in the light before I withdrew and it already didn't react to it, but that blackjacking was even worse.

So whats up with that mod? I thought it would make the AI tougher?

Gerhard

I never experienced that, or any other wierd problems. Hard helmted guys have the same effect - *CLANG!* "HEY YOU!"

Your problem must be related to something else, is all I can say.

The AI is way better, if they see soemthing of the "highest emergency", that is, a confirmed sighting of you or a dead body, and they don't kill you and you get away, they turn and run for help. Soon the whole place is after you :) The way it should be, if you stuff up.

Oh! lol, I always use the Ultimate Difficulty mod, however I prefer the mansion levels, thus I did'nt come accross a zombie yet lol. BTW, Spar, WTF? That's wierd, works fine for me. I go, take BJ out, attempt to BJ helmetted guard, "CLANG!" "HEY YOU! STOP RIGHT THERE TAFFER!". Wierd dude, dunno what's wrong :blink: .

I don't think it's the UD mod, maybe you changed some other files? You're sure that the DARK.CFG went into the Thief2 directory and overwrote the old one, yes? (providing you have a backup) Dunno man, I can't help with that, cos it works just fine for me (and as Dom says, for him too).

As far as I know UD mod is only for OMs. Most FMs use their own gamesys file and change its name. And there's no way to mix the gemesys files, only manually in Dromed.

FM author who wanted to use this mod in his FM should modify this UD dark.gam or just copy some properties manually.

As far as I know UD mod is only for OMs. Most FMs use their own gamesys file and change its name.

Wrong.

You should try it with FMs some time. Most FMs don't use their own dark.gam. The only one that comes to mind that does is Calendra's Legacy. And all that happens is you don't get the AI benifits that the difficulty mod has.

Like I already said, this is only for the few FMs that have custom AI behaviour.

Edited by Domarius

Taken from Readme file of UD mod's:

Any fan mission that doesn’t use its own custom gamesys will experience the changes as well.

I don't know how many FMs use custom .gam files but I know that every FM which uses custom textures must have its own one. And in many cases it's easier to make new objects in archetype compared to modifying concrete objects. So I suppose there must be quite a lot of FMs with custom .gam file.

And as there are no way to mix the .gam files there is also no way to use UD mod without any problems if FM has only just one custom texture....

But of course I might be wrong because I've never tried it with any FM.