The Dark Mod Forums

Since I was bored I played Thief Deadly Shadows again

Oldjim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't wait for the final version of this! Haven't played TDS in quite a few years so going through again will be great.

It's quite amazing how much hard work has already gone into this!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, do i need to install the SneakyUpgrade, in order to install the Gold patch? It says it acts just like a FM in the readme file. But i have no idea how to install a FM in T3...

Yes, the FM launcher is in the modded exe ;)

SU is a very neat tool, I hope to see a Deus Ex IW twin :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Well, the game crashes when loading the first real mission, Rutherford mansion. Not cool. :rolleyes: IMO they concentrated too much on issues which don't concern me, like loading time in levels, instead of fixing obvious bugs, like the re-aligning of AI when you blackjack them, or fixing the bug where you move when strafing. Oh well, will uninstall the game for now, and just apply the Sneaky Upgrade, which worked fine for me before. I guess they should have waited a little longer, before releasing the Thief Gold update in final release.

Please don't uninstall until we've tried to figure out what went wrong... (I don't think it's a bug in the general case, otherwise we'd have heard about it before.)

Which version of the game do you have? (Retail DVD, Steam, GOG...)

Were you using the latest Sneaky Upgrade?

When you installed the SU, did you select a custom path for FM installation?

What difficulty did you start the Castle mission on?

Where did it crash? If it crashed while showing the loading screen, can you post a screenshot of that?

Btw. don't worry that your T3 install may be screwed up - it's very unlikely. With FMSel the FMs are installed separate from the game. Even with T3G installed you can still play the originals by not going through FMSel.

It's a Thief version from a mag's DVD, without CD check. Sneaky Upgrade works fine with it, as i already played with it installed with the same version. Sneaky Upgrade i installed now is the latest version. Didn't select custom path for FM. Difficulty was expert. It crashed exactly before the loading screen went up, after the mission intro.

Hm, now that you say it, i'm not even sure i played with Thief Gold activated. I only started Thief 3 the usual way, i probably was playing the original then? Would be nice if you could tell me then how to start Thief Gold. Oh, and it should be written in the Thief Gold Readme as well... i don't think the majority of people will be able to figure out that they have to start it like a FM, or how to start a FM. Btw, a difference between last time i played Thief 3 is that i have Windows 8.1 now, while i used to play T3 on Windows 7.

Edit: It says "Start FMSel through the cyan desktop icon." in the Sneaky Upgrade's thread. As i didn't choose to create that desktop icon during installation, how do i trigger the start of FMSel manuall? I looked in the Thief 3 folder, no executable for FMSel, i checked the c://ProgramData of Sneaky Upgrade, no executable there either...

Edited by chk772

Yes, if the game window came up right away when you clicked the icon, then you've been playing the original game. Win8.1 should be fine, that's what I have. Just make sure you don't set any compatibility modes on it - that will cause problems, although not crashes as far as I know.

FMSel is a DLL, it's loaded by the patched T3Main.exe. To launch it just make a copy of the normal (yellow) icon, right-click to select Properties, then add " -fm" to the Target field so that it ends in "T3.exe -fm". You can change the icon too, both icons are in the T3Main.exe file. Edit: Or run it from the SU start menu group - if you have a start menu, that is...

When FMSel pops up it will ask for the folder containing FM archive files. Select the folder containing the T3G archive you downloaded. Then "Thief 3 Gold" should become visible in the list, select it and click "Play FM". (It will show "Preparing FM..." for a long time, that is normal.)

Btw. T3 is not immune to random crashes - did you load a savegame and try it a second time?

Edited by snobel

Well, as i did everything wrong now anyway, i reinstalled TDS now, and applied the Sneaky Upgrade. Now, do i have to put Thief Gold in the FM folder of the Sneaky Upgrade in Program Data?

Edit: Ok, installed Thief Gold now properly over FMsel, no problems loading the first mission now. It probably crashed, because i unpacked the content of Thief Gold in the TDS folder the first time. It should really be described in the Thief Gold read me though. It says that Thief Gold should be installed like a FM, but i had no idea how to install a FM.

Edited by chk772

Yeah, the instructions do assume familiarity with FMSel. I'll see if we can do better if there's an update to the FM version at some point.

Unpacking the T3G archive into the game install would definitely make it crash: Most of the resources have been stripped from the maps to allow higher compression. They must be reinstated from the original maps through FMSel's installation process before playing. The Inn mission is not in the T3G archive, that's why it worked.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just gave the latest SneakyUpgrade a go and installed it on a new installation of TDS, and wow, this has come a long way. Very, very nice additions to the game, and perfectly playable on widescreen HD resolution on Windows 8.1. I didn't really change much, because i mostly want the "vanilla" version of the game, but the intro briefings, and no loading zones in the missions are nice improvements already. :)

So you can finally play the maps without those silly loading portals?

Only the missions maps, not the City Hub.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Nice I hope for some other nice features, but I guess this is mostly about bug fixing / FM support. Might try this out someday later ^^

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager