The Dark Mod Forums

Since I was bored I played Thief Deadly Shadows again

Oldjim

DSR 4x (3840x2160) / 17% smoothness / HBAO+ / Anisotropic 16x / All maxed out (Bloom too) / SneakyUpgrade 1.1.5 (Fat Edition)

Rutherford_Castle_03_12_15_12_02_33.jpg

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 3

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 4 months later...

W-O-W

BC's been fiddling with TDS for years, so it didn't really surprise me when I first learned of the "TDS Gold" project. And as far as I know, Beleg has also made one or two TDS fan missions (but don't count on my memory).

DSR 4x (3840x2160) / 17% smoothness / HBAO+ / Anisotropic 16x / All maxed out (Bloom too) / SneakyUpgrade 1.1.5 (Fat Edition)

Rutherford_Castle_03_12_15_12_02_33.jpg

Great work. :) Think I'll finally reinstall TDS soon.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

• 1 month later...

VSync not working in Win10 and so the mouse sensibility is altered with high FPS value (but you can always limit the FPS with the tweaker tool of SneakyUpgrade). Investigating :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

TDS has a certain charm and somethings look better in it than TDM, but a lot of things dont - eg the fire particle is awefull.

It's not "fire", it's a NUCLEAR PLASMA :D

TDS has a certain charm and somethings look better in it than TDM, but a lot of things dont - eg the fire particle is awefull.

Indeed it had a nice atmosphere sometimes. But mostly I think it's the soft shadows that are ahead of the competition.

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Indeed it had a nice atmosphere sometimes. But mostly I think it's the soft shadows that are ahead of the competition.

Soft shadows and modeled architecture pieces. Fortunately, these are 2 things TDM has been investing in for its future.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Soft shadows in TDS? :|

Extensive use of projected/stencil shadows, but the first game with SOFT (stencil) shadows is FEAR (2005).

Soft shadows obtained with shadowmapping are present in older games (Unreal 2).

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Yeah, the only soft shadows in TDS are ones that are baked into light-maps as I recall. There is an overall softness due to the post-process filter in the game though I believe.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 1 year later...

Soft shadows and modeled architecture pieces. Fortunately, these are 2 things TDM has been investing in for its future.

But I guess full EAX support comes only with the GitHub branch of this https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3 released and implemented respectively into TDM?

That's been the #1 desirable feature from Thief games to be seen in TDM for me.

http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3954 As I understand this is the direct bug tracker link for the problem. Any news on this? Any ETA on when/if the GitHub project ever gets done?

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 year later...

Up :D

dgVoodoo2 2.55.4 DX11 wrapper + ReShade 3.4.x

Some fancy "Fable style" *PNG* screenshots with HDR+Bloom (by Marty McFly)

FXAA as last postprocessing layer (no MSAA but you can force it in dgVoodoo2 or in the game itself disabling the native bloom shader) and no HBAO+ (it's only possible in DX8, will try the behaviour with Crosire DX9 wrapper)

image.png image.png
image.png image.png
  • Like 3

*1920x1080 (but you can of course use DSR / SSAA cranking it up to 4K)

*in-game MSAA 4x / No native Bloom

*Anisotropic Filtering 16x via NVCP

*HBAO+ via NV Profile Inspector (NVidia GPUs only) thanks to the D3D8/9 rendering (it's not possible with dgVoodoo2 wrapping to D3D11)

*ReShade shaders:

-HDR (default settings)

-qUINT Bloom (default settings)

-LumaSharpen (default settings)

Thief3_2018_10_01_12_24_34_704.png

• Like 1