The Dark Mod Forums

TDM runs

MasterHelpo

Aside from dimming the lights and playing at 3 AM, I've taken to running through TDM missions, with style. Most of the time I end up playing the missions 3-4 times over, though I do get ahead of myself quite often as you'll see below.

Full playlist:

A Night to Remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkueDvFPXKE

- Didn't do too badly here...

- Not sure what happened but I got a bit impatient with this one half way through, then again, I did restart the mission too many times to count.

- Things get a little frisky here too, I end up chasing a priest down the hall for whatever reason.

The rest:

Here are some silly out-takes from my videos:

I'm aiming to play through all missions available, so expect to see more nonsense pretty soon.

Edited by MasterHelpo
  • Like 3

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

IMHO it's more fun to watch people's first reactions to the mission. It seems more genuine somehow.

I agree with you in most cases, I simply felt the need to create the intellectual opposite of blind plays just for the time challenge, while adding small bits of silly humor here and there.

I have watched some of your blind plays though, and I quite enjoy them.

Edited by MasterHelpo

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

It's nice to see variety. I like blind plays, especially narrated ones, but speed runs and even massacres can also be fun.

I like blind plays, especially narrated ones

I'm literally mute, so I'm afraid I can't deliver there =P

That said I may go play back through them afterwards and just aim to massacre everybody and/or speedrun 'em.

That said I may go play back through them afterwards and just aim to massacre everybody and/or speedrun 'em.

I sense a challenge...

It would mean getting really good at the swordfighting...

You could always try an evasive speedrun.

That was pretty freaking awesome and amusing at the same time.

Well there's an example of some bad AI communication... At 7:00 in the St. Lucia vid, the priest bumps into the player, and runs away calling for help. The priest literally runs directly into an AI coming down the same hallway, but that AI does nothing more than just stand there for a moment before continuing on. If an AI hears another AI calling for help, they should immediately go to full alert, shouldn't they?

Granted, the priest sends two other guards to the location to look for you a few moments later, which is good.

It sounds like the first guard stopped a moment, thought to himself, "This dang priest runs screaming from rats every night", and carried on, considering purchasing a copy of Æsop's Fables with "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" for the priest.

It makes sense to me they seek corroboration rather than mindlessly going to full alert. But they do go on alert if they'd encountered something suspicious previously. That grey area also minimizes gaming the system. If reactions are predetermined and predictable, players will manipulate them. The whole point is for it to be fun/challenging for gamers to game. ;-)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Well there's an example of some bad AI communication... At 7:00 in the St. Lucia vid, the priest bumps into the player, and runs away calling for help. The priest literally runs directly into an AI coming down the same hallway, but that AI does nothing more than just stand there for a moment before continuing on. If an AI hears another AI calling for help, they should immediately go to full alert, shouldn't they?

Granted, the priest sends two other guards to the location to look for you a few moments later, which is good.

They used to! We addressed this in 1.08 pre launch, when killing a civilian in front of an AI didn't cause the AI to go full alert, and the civilian would run for help and nobody got alerted. I remember recording videos about this.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

It makes sense to me they seek corroboration rather than mindlessly going to full alert. But they do go on alert if they'd encountered something suspicious previously. That grey area also minimizes gaming the system. If reactions are predetermined and predictable, players will manipulate them. The whole point is for it to be fun/challenging for gamers to game. ;-)

I'm not arguing for predictability, but immersion requires AI to behave in reasonably believable ways. It's not very believable that a guard virtually ignores a friendly who runs into him yelling about an intruder (whether they've seen anything suspicious or not). I would expect him to pull out his weapon and search the area.

I would expect him to pull out his weapon and search the area.

In my WIP, that's exactly what happened.

(I did have to give the flee point a team however, or the civilians fled to the furthest AAS instead of passing near the guard, apparently because flee points are defined as "friendly" or not.)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

It's usually what happens in TDM too. That's why it was notable when the guard in the video didn't react that way.

The message delivery system in TDM does not guarantee delivery. The fleeing priest was sending a message to the guard, and he probably never got it. It depends on lighting and distance. So sometimes you'll hear an AI warn another AI, but he doesn't respond.

This is different from the greeting system, which is guaranteed. That system handles both the greeting and response with one mechanism, where the message system leaves it up to the conditions at the sender and the conditions at the receiver, separately.

It depends on lighting and distance.

I don't think distance was a factor here, since they were in the same hallway. Why does it depend on lighting?

At 7:00 in the St. Lucia vid, the priest bumps into the player, and runs away calling for help. The priest literally runs directly into an AI coming down the same hallway, but that AI does nothing more than just stand there for a moment before continuing on.

I was just about to press esc and restart when that happened because of the guard coming back in the opposite direction. I sort of expected something to happen...

I watched the St. Lucia vid at the point where the player surprises the priest.

Here's what I think happened:

1 - Priest bumps into player, turns toward him, and barks that an enemy is there.

2 - Priest quickly turns and runs away, bumping into the guard at a dimly-lit part of the hallway. The guard ranks lower than the priest, so he stops and turns sideways to let the priest pass. It's probably, due to the dim lighting, that neither sees the other. The guard turning sideways isn't evidence that they see each other, and the lack of a warning bark from the priest at that point supports this. So the guard is not told about the enemy.

3 - Priest reaches his flee path entity (or some spot he was fleeing toward), and barks a generic "help me!". This is not a direct request for help to the guard he bumped, since there's no LOS from the priest to the guard at that point.

4 - The guard, reacting to the priest's cry for help, stops where he is and is probably looking around, though not searching, because he didn't raise his hammer. The alert he received from the priest's bark isn't enough to send him into a searching state.

So I'm not seeing a bug here.

What I do see is a potential enhancement request that when a fleeing AI bumps into someone who can help him, it triggers the warning or request for help code, even if they don't see each other.