The Dark Mod Forums

Playstyle Poll: KO/kill/avoid/ghost?

RJFerret

Playstyle?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you most frequently/prefer to (when permitted)...

• knock out AIs: blackjack baby!
    • kill AIs: sword slashing savvy!
    • avoid AIs: weapons? We wield weaponry?
    • ghost: going, going, gone!

I've been designing around avoiding AIs/ghosting, as blackjacking/killing simply removes the AI from game, no pathing, conversations, interactions, ramifications, etc. I've tried to not overlook other gameplay, by trying to have blackjacking challenging and figuring if players want it easy, they'll simply put an arrow in things.

I wish to invest my building time efficiently and adapt to player desires. I know folks don't appreciate too many restrictions (like no killing/conking objectives) and I obviously want to accommodate as many different playstyles as possible within the story/scene/gameplay, but just want to get a current read (as compared to the previous forum threads/wiki articles I've read on the topic) of how folks say they play.

So would you kindly vote? :-) Thanks!

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I do a bit of all of them. Too many AIs around makes completing the mission very difficult (obviously). However walking around a level where I've killed everyone isn't very interesting either. Walking around a level by yourself gets boring rather quickly, especially if you are tasked with a loot hunt.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

My style is to avoid AI, but if they cannot be avoided, I will KO them if I must. Killing I avoid, and I star killing if I find the mission of poor quality just to get quickly over ot. Ghosting is boring and the playstyle sounds like save/load spam to me. Dealing with consequences is important for me.

This is why I usually have 3 difficulties.

easy with all possibilities available.

medium with no kill restriction

hard with no kill and KO limit of three or so.

Just like in the original games.

I also think mappers should consider adding

*more RITs to make AI more interesting. Static railroad AI is a bit too predictable and thus boring.

*New AI arriving to the scene. For example a city is never static, but there should be some random passersby. Someone could visit the manor. There is bound to be a guard shift change at some point. These have interesting effects for people KOing all the AI: bodies could be found by the new arrivals. Also not to penalize sneaking players, some AI could leave the map as well. Stuff like this would give the mission a more organic feel: like there was a real world outside the play area.

Also here could be a reinforcement mechanic. If AI realize there are enemies around, they would bring new AI from the outside of the map.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've gone for "avoid AIs" although that has a lot of overlap with ghosting of course, it's just that I don't reload if I get spotted. I'll reload if I get into inescapable combat as I don't think I've ever won a fight in tdm :-) BJ is reserved for special occasions only when faced with a difficult AI.

My natural style is to try to ghost everything but I'm trying to discipline myself to use the tools more as tdm has more fun to offer that way. And like Sotha said, escape is fun too.

• Like 1

Pretty much the exact playstyle as you Sotha.

However sometimes I get in the mood to sort of hunt the AI. I love sneaking around in the shadows then popping out to knock them out and then drag them away into the shadows never to be seen again. Stock piling all the bodies in a room or if the guard was really annoying I might drop them into a body of water and let them drown.

I try to avoid the AI unless I get stuck in "hunt mode", where I have to look for something and don't know where it is. At that point, I don't want to bother sneaking around guards when I don't even know that I have to, so I usually KO them.

• Like 1

A few notes:

Conversations and scripted scenes usually happen as the player walks into the area. Or they happen coming from "outside" the playing area. This means that in most situations, it doesnt matter what you do to the AI after that (any playstyle go).

Though it is common for people to play in a stealth-heavy way, and most missions are designed with that in mind, other playstyles are very much supported too. When you say, for example, that players could easily put an arrow on things and keep going, maps could be created where that is pretty much impossible. Other situations can be set up so the player has to fight, or better, has the upper hand and could choose to fight. Theres a scene in my map where, after it is stabilished that this group is a very nasty bunch, you meet them in a isolated area. Its a group of two, plus one outside, so the best would be to avoid them. Still, you have the upper hand, and can take out the one outside, and the second one (with an arrow) before the third is able to react, making the fight fair, in terms of set up.

My desired play style is "panther mode" as described in Splinter Cell: Blacklist, it's a fitting term really. I prefer to stay unseen but knock-out as many guards as possible to clear the way.

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

I'll attempt to ghost, but I'll knock out a guard if I don't feel like I can manage with them still standing.

As for how I decide when to use the blackjack, if from what I'm seeing I don't feel like I can ghost through a spot ten times in a row without making a mistake, then the blackjack gets used.

If I get spotted then I'll go ahead with a flashbomb, or the sword if that won't work.

I voted avoid AI instead of Ghost, since I sorta consider ghost to also involve not only not using tools, but not disturbing anything in the environment, and I have a severe allergic reaction to lit candles :P. So I figure I'm somewhere halfway between avoid AI and ghost, as I typically don't use tools, but will snuff candles/not put things back where they came from when I'm done. Perhaps for your mission, you could have all 3 difficulties the same EXCEPT for no-kill/no-ko/no-detect objectives, (it might even be possible to make the mission fail if a door is spotted open that shouldn't be, or a lit that should be lit isn't? You'd have to ask the editing gurus about that one) so everyone can have the same gameplay experience without harder difficulties subjecting people to gear/play restrictions and a loot hunt.

So would you kindly vote? :-)

How could I say no?

• Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Is there a difference in the player hit points between normal/hard/expert? As in, does it take more arrows/sword hits to kill a player on normal than expert?

What's the console command to spawn objects like a health potion?

Thanks.

Player hp don't change, but AI do more damage based on their skill level and your combat setting.

I never kill people unless the mission objectives force me to (and I hate this kind of missions unless the target is like REALLY evil).

As for the gamestyle, I prefer blackjacking the guards one by one and storing them in dark places until they are all unconscious and then I solve the puzzles and enjoy the architecture etc. :) Sadly, with the blackjacking being so hard, I'm sometimes so frustrated that I leave the guards alone and just sneak past them. But I don't enjoy that, no sirree. :(

Edited by Dworkin

Disappointed at lack of comedy option (all polls require comedy option) like "Tap dancing polar bear".

Sorry, my wit ended at the alliterative quips explaining each option. But putting humorous choices in replies offers many more opportunities for amusement!

I am rather impressed you distract guards with tap dancing polar bears, I've never seen those pets for sale in the shop.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

I want to thank everyone who has contributed so far (and those who continue to do so), it has resulted in my investing further in AI interactions, as well as play-testing blackjacking opportunities further and trying to design them to be involving.

I see lots of people like to ghost, I guess I'm just not that good yet!

I like to knock out everyone. The guards, maids, cook, nobles, and the elite guard sucks unless I have a gas arrow.

There's something extermely satisfying that I haven't yet grown tired of with a good blackjack, then piling bodies up in a safe dark room while I sight see the level without hearing those tension building footsteps coming up and around...

Ghost and consequently I spend a lot of time outdoors as well, where the motto is, "leave no trace", and I like to carry that through in to my playstyle.

Also, it was good for parties in the parents house when they were out of town for the weekend.. never got caught. :)

I see lots of people like to ghost, I guess I'm just not that good yet!

I like to knock out everyone. The guards, maids, cook, nobles, and the elite guard sucks unless I have a gas arrow.

There's something extermely satisfying that I haven't yet grown tired of with a good blackjack, then piling bodies up in a safe dark room while I sight see the level without hearing those tension building footsteps coming up and around...

In the Thief games I would knock out or dispose of everyone and then go hunt around for loot in a house free of worry.