The Dark Mod Forums

Playstyle Poll: KO/kill/avoid/ghost?

RJFerret

Playstyle?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you most frequently/prefer to (when permitted)...

• knock out AIs: blackjack baby!
    • kill AIs: sword slashing savvy!
    • avoid AIs: weapons? We wield weaponry?
    • ghost: going, going, gone!

I am a pretty lame taffer, actually.

Typically I KO the guards.

(Personal Objectives: KO all AI !

Depending on my mood I will restrict myself to KO all guards, but keep any civilians alone)

If a mission requires me to ghost on Expert, then I can accept that and will stick to it.

However, sometimes I feel like I should be a better taffer and do more ghosting, but then there is typically 1 or 2 AI that are really getting on my nerves,

and I say to myself: They ask for it ! Blackjack them altogether !

Part of the reason is that I love exploring every inch of the maps... and getting 100% loot is a non-discussable requirement.

So, my patience fades after a while.

• Like 1

I like ghosting, but I also like a challenging blackjack here and there. I always play on the hardest difficulty, except when it limits blackjacking, unless it's well justified and it's not a generic single mission. The same goes to killing, even though I never kill (really never). Single missions usually feel too isolated in terms of story and context for these limits to sound pertinent. I will more easily accept them in campaign, but like I said, depending on how believable the justification for it is.

For example, compare these objectives:

From a mission where I'd completely despise the limitations and play an easier difficulty:

- A master thief doesn't leave a trace. Don't blackjack anyone.

- You're a thief, not a murderer. Don't kill anyone.

This bores me...

From a mission where I'd embrace the limitations.

- Lord Joe mustn't know about you until your buddy Jack tips off the citywatch (suppose you're going to incriminate him). Don't leave any traces. No blackjacking.

- Killing anyone might start a civil war if they don't see anyone to blame for it. No killing.

This challenges me. Killing might be merged with the first objective, but I made it like that just to complete the point.

I still share the notion that a map devoid of AIs is a boring map...

My FMs: By The Cookbook

If a mission requires me to ghost on Expert, then I can accept that and will stick to it.

Same here. My ego forbids me to choose another difficulty than expert somehow... it's silly. :D It's not bad for a change though, as i usually KO, but it's more stressy. I wouldn't say it's necessarily more difficult, more a matter of patience and stuff.

Oh, I forgot to mention how strict my rules on my personal 100% KO objective really are:

this includes taking desparate measures like deliberate crate stacking in order to get even the last lonely AI

that is patrolling on an elevated position where the player is not even supposed to go to. :D

But NO KILLS.

Edited by gnartsch

I voted for ghost but in reality if things are really tricky I blackjack them such as when the time between guard patrols is just too tight for lock picking

Another example would be Elite where ghosting was just too difficult because of there being very few places to hide in the house from the guards with lanterns

I certainly never kill unless it is an objective

• 3 weeks later...

I voted "blackjack" but I noticed that I lately try to avoid any kind of confrontation. Blackjacking often is just too stressful - sneak up, knock down without getting to close or being just a bit too far away, then pack the body, run for some shadow with enough space to hide a body... Most times it is easier to wait for a moment when I can just run into the next shadow without raising an alarm.

If possible I drop my short sword and broad head arrows before starting a mission. I am unable (and unwilling to learn) to use the sword and killing off at a distance makes me feel like a cheater first and then I am afraid that the body is found before I can retrieve and hide it. Also I just don't like killing, but that's minor as I never had any problems with it when playing Bioshock, any of the TES games or Dungeon Crawl.

Edited by Antsan

If my English is bad I am very sorry. It's not my mother tongue.

If possible I drop my short sword and broad head arrows before starting a mission.

Yeah, well I don't drop them, but use arrows more to knock a candle away, or move something, etc.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I usually help all the AI to get a good nights sleep. Sometimes I try ghosting bust somehow I seem to lack the patience, especially if I have to get back and forth again. I don't kill if I can avoid it though, the guards don't get paid enough to deserve that. And who knows? If I have to come back in a later mission, maybe the remember that I don't kill them if they don't force it. :)

Gerhard

Yeah, well I don't drop them, but use arrows more to knock a candle away, or move something, etc.

After I failed shooting down the vase in "Tears of St. Lucia" I seem to have just forgotten that I can use arrows in that way. Well, good to be remembered.

If my English is bad I am very sorry. It's not my mother tongue.

I'm generally a blackjack-loving hooligan, but on the rare occasion that there's a mission where you are allowed to kill on the Difficult skill level, I let loose with my bow and arrow. Given it's pretty rare to be allowed to kill on Difficult, I rather enjoy the occasion to gurantee a stealth score of 0 through, shall we say, direct means. I'm aware how it's not really thief-like behaviour, but it's the exception rather than the rule, and the effect of an arrow to the face is quite effective and even satisfying for a game that doesn't generally promote such gameplay.

Edited by At0mic