The Dark Mod Forums

A Greeting

The Black Arrow

Hey there, I thought posting in here would be the most appropriate, since I indeed to want to help somehow.

I have little experience in map editing, I only did on some games and most of them were 2D or simple 3D. Nothing too impressive.

Though I am rather very imaginative and probably creative myself (I'd blame it on OCD), so I have many ideas for maps. If there is any good mapper who feels like doing something without thinking of what to do, I might help him/her.

And I do mean it, I DO have some plans already that I would love to give it to some great mappers out there.

On a side note, my most favourite "Stealth game" maps are those that make you explore on strange places, such as the first Thief's "Barricaded Quarter".

Now, I have some texture editing skills. I'd say they're not masterful or even expert, but they're still above basic. I know the basics such as Diffuse Map, Normal Map and Specular Map. I once worked with Emissive Maps, I like to make things glow in the dark. I actually had some work published myself.

One of the best texture examples I can give is at how I made a model who had two eyes to have one eye WITHOUT changing the model itself. It was simply doing the Diffuse Map and editing the Normal map.

Textures are not the only thing I can make, I can also make some graphical stuff like the avatar and signature you can see on me.

I've checked the textures of TDM thoroughly, and I gotta say, that's one of the most beautiful bump maps I have ever seen in a mod.

I don't have a microphone, but I would love to make voices for the Revenants, Pagans and black-coloured Thieves. Maybe even Guards. Any of you remember that very funny voice from all the three Thief series games? I'm talking about the one that appears in Thief 1's 2nd mission, "Lord Bafford's Mansion", he's a main-gate guard and he's the one who starts talking about some bears, who the ridicules the other guard by saying "Ooohh the blood, it just turns my poor tummy!". Well, if you do remember that voice, I don't think I will ever be able to reproduce it but I could still try to. Just need a microphone...

By the way, I'm rather picky about "languages", that is, I care a lot about grammar and spelling that I hope everyone uses it correctly. Something I'll probably never expect. Still, if you make mistakes, then I REALLY HOPE you don't mind me poking you and telling you how to fix it, or just to fix it.

Well, in short and as a resume; I'm bad with maps but good with map ideas, I have a good experience and skill for textures and I am eager to make some voice acting IF I had a microphone. Also, I'm nitpicky.

There is actually a problem about all this; Time. I don't really have much time, I'd rather dedicate it to my own personal use most the times, which I apparently sometimes even waste it on making textures. But yeah, it's normal I guess, because of school and work, so I'm sure you understand.

Nice to meet you all, fanatics, savages and poor tummies.

Edited by The Black Arrow
  • Like 1

Welcome!

We're always looking for talent, regardless of where it lies.

I have the same grammar/spelling affliction. ;) It mostly rears its head when I'm reviewing text briefings and readables.

The voice you're talking about is "Benny the Guard", and we already have a voice set that follows Benny's mutterings extremely well. That's not to say we wouldn't welcome another "bumbler" voice set.

I'm sure voice and texture folks will drop by and make a few suggestions.

Welcome!

We're always looking for talent, regardless of where it lies.

I have the same grammar/spelling affliction. ;) It mostly rears its head when I'm reviewing text briefings and readables.

The voice you're talking about is "Benny the Guard", and we already have a voice set that follows Benny's mutterings extremely well. That's not to say we wouldn't welcome another "bumbler" voice set.

I'm sure voice and texture folks will drop by and make a few suggestions.

Thank you, it's great to know that no matter what talent you have, you're still useful. And yeah, I understand you, I have the same degree as well, I easily get frustated when I see objectives or/and readables with lots of grammar/spelling mistakes.

Never knew he was called "Benny the Guard", what a funny name! I would like to hear the TDM version of him though, and would still like to make more bumbler voice sets :)

I think I should also mention to everybody that I got a friend who goes by the nickname as "Welder of Hephaestus", he's more dedicated to his industrial job (As a big-time welder, obviously) than games and such, but he still surfs in the internet from time to time. He has a YouTube channel, he used to make some funny videos about the Thief series games since he also likes it just like I do, I should give you the YouTube channel here; http://www.youtube.com/user/69Days69

I'll try to tell this Welder of Hephaestus to play TDM and make some "Let's Play", since he does them better than I do despite having no voice.

I can welcome you as far as my relatively short membership would allow (I'm sure I've made enemies already). You certainly seem capable, but a portfolio is always handy to hand out to people as you need. Again I have no dealings with anything like that, so essentially ignore me.

if you make mistakes, then I REALLY HOPE you don't mind me poking you and telling you how to fix it, or just to fix it.

You have plenty of little mistakes in your own post, I'm afraid. I really do take exception to those who pick out grammatical errors when talking in an informal context like this. If it's a professional production such as a book, a game or a mission briefing, it's fine to correct them there because the creator no doubt wants to make a good impression anyway. English isn't everybody's first language, and I'd venture as far as to say it isn't yours either. Some people try very hard to fit in and speak English as fluently as they can, often without teaching, so if you're intentionally going around correcting people making an effort, boo to you. This only applies if you're the type to reply to people with one-word corrections with an asterisk. It's a pet peeve.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

I can welcome you as far as my relatively short membership would allow (I'm sure I've made enemies already). You certainly seem capable, but a portfolio is always handy to hand out to people as you need. Again I have no dealings with anything like that, so essentially ignore me.

Hehe, you almost remind me of Desther from Neverwinter Nights. Life without enemies is a life without enjoyment.

You have plenty of little mistakes in your own post, I'm afraid. I really do take exception to those who pick out grammatical errors when talking in an informal context like this. If it's a professional production such as a book, a game or a mission briefing, it's fine to correct them there because the creator no doubt wants to make a good impression anyway. English isn't everybody's first language, and I'd venture as far as to say it isn't yours either. Some people try very hard to fit in and speak English as fluently as they can, often without teaching, so if you're intentionally going around correcting people making an effort, boo to you.

Yes, it's true. I also sadly make mistakes, I won't make excuses why, but at least I do not speak in a very broken English that seems like a monkey or The Three Stooges wrote it...Or a lot worse than that.

I actually don't have any "maternal language". Was never born to be a man of culture.

Don't make "efforts" to fix everyone's grammar and spelling. Seems useless, why would a normal human listen to a human who's correcting him?

Life without enemies is a life without enjoyment.

More like a life with false friends you tolerate is a life full of misanthropy.

Don't worry, you didn't make any mistakes that actually matter, it's just you have the air of a foreign speaker about you. It can't really be removed without living in a country that speaks it. I was only making sure you're not one of the elitist types who gets off on correcting others. I hate it when people do that; it made learning the language that bit more of a struggle.

But welcome, anyway! If you're as talented as you say I'm sure people will find you a great help.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Welcome!

I can't judge how good of a mapper I am (that's for the players, and they all have their own nits to pick, nevermind so many different factors), but I sometimes lack ideas to implement, so we might complement each other at some point. :-)

PS: Language has noticeably evolved in my short life, although I tend to be technically correct, communication matters far more than accuracy of presentation I've learned.

PPS: An author friend was amused when she shared a draft of her new book with an admiring teen friend who reported back typos and grammar issues--unknowingly judging intentional creative expression for that character, presented via such.

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some of your texture work ;)

You make mistakes?!?! Get in line and welcome to the human condition :P

Don't worry about time as this is a volunteer project as I understand it. I'm still trying to find the time to finish my first FM which I started on a week long vacation after going through the A-Z tutorial.

The senior members/mapers/coders/artists here are extrememly friendly, welcoming, and helpful so I wouldn't worry at all about anything.

Just dig in and do what you can when you can, and welcome!

Welcome!

If you do not have any experience in mapping, this might be a great place to pick some up. If you follow the tutorials and have a bit of imagination, it is not hard at all to build a small or medium-sized mission - the tools are simple and accessible, and people will help you if you have any question or problems. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

More like a life with false friends you tolerate is a life full of misanthropy.

How come you guessed my "lifestyle"? Are you a visionary?

Don't worry, you didn't make any mistakes that actually matter, it's just you have the air of a foreign speaker about you. It can't really be removed without living in a country that speaks it. I was only making sure you're not one of the elitist types who gets off on correcting others. I hate it when people do that; it made learning the language that bit more of a struggle.

No, I'm not an elitist. Elitists are always the worst. Things should be fixed without turning them into an oppressive method.

But welcome, anyway! If you're as talented as you say I'm sure people will find you a great help.

Thanks, nice to meet you too!

Welcome!

I can't judge how good of a mapper I am (that's for the players, and they all have their own nits to pick, nevermind so many different factors), but I sometimes lack ideas to implement, so we might complement each other at some point. :-)

PS: Language has noticeably evolved in my short life, although I tend to be technically correct, communication matters far more than accuracy of presentation I've learned.

PPS: An author friend was amused when she shared a draft of her new book with an admiring teen friend who reported back typos and grammar issues--unknowingly judging intentional creative expression for that character, presented via such.

Seems that I never tried nor completed any of your maps, should give it a try. We'll see if we can make a symbiosis.

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some of your texture work ;)

I've made some for a game called "Orcs Must Die! 2", I'll make a showcase thread, just don't know in which category I should put it.

You make mistakes?!?! Get in line and welcome to the human condition :P

Don't worry about time as this is a volunteer project as I understand it. I'm still trying to find the time to finish my first FM which I started on a week long vacation after going through the A-Z tutorial.

The senior members/mapers/coders/artists here are extrememly friendly, welcoming, and helpful so I wouldn't worry at all about anything.

Just dig in and do what you can when you can, and welcome!

Sometimes I agree about Karras, heh.

Thanks, I'll see how much time I can spare and not waste :)

Welcome!

If you do not have any experience in mapping, this might be a great place to pick some up. If you follow the tutorials and have a bit of imagination, it is not hard at all to build a small or medium-sized mission - the tools are simple and accessible, and people will help you if you have any question or problems. :)

I actually do have some experience of mapping, but it's only on 2D games and such, no 3D. I heard Dark Mod's editor is actually rather easy to learn, so yeah, perhaps I will give it more than a try.

Hey there Black Arrow. Welcome to the forum and nice to see you want to help. The first thing you can help is putting this immense picture out of your signature so the people don't have to scroll too much to get to the content ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

On my 1600x900 screen, it essentially takes half the browser display, the other half has one bit of content in it, your single line response (not counting the redundant quote). Even more technical, it's 245 pixels high. Compare to the avatars which are limited to 90, and not inline with content.

Obviously it's subjective, but it's the same image as your avatar (obviously the latter cropped), so seems silly to me to display both.

But, a simple solution? Right-click, block image, done. Don't even need the consideration of it being made a more reasonable size. However a bad ramification of forcing every user to do that, is they won't see other images from the same URL. Although those with capped or metered bandwidth who have to pay for it probably wouldn't mind. Also mobile browsers can be feature limited, not easily blocking images.

Might you also change it to a jpeg? As png is useful for limited color graphics with solid color regions, but doesn't compress that style of imagery as much, you should be able to get it down to 10s of kb, instead of over an eighth of a megabyte.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

The image isn't "immense", it even looks alright on 1024x786.

It is quite large for a sig. Smaller is better.

Alright, I removed that shadow, it did get a lot of space. I even changed the format from .PNG to .JPG. It's fine now?

It's an old sig, I always wanted my signatures to have high quality and such, but now I'm not that much of a show-off anymore. Which is kind of contradictory.

By the way, is anyone willing to teach me how to make models in Blender? I'm trying to make an arrow that looks like the Fire Arrow in this mod, but it's not for this mod, it's for personal use for now.

I learned my Blender here:

https://en.wikibooks...3D:_Noob_to_Pro

It has all the basics in a nice concise format. Looking at some youtube videos is good too to learn the workflow.

If you wanna make models for TDM check out links in this thread

http://forums.thedar...post__p__314184

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I learned my Blender here:

https://en.wikibooks...3D:_Noob_to_Pro

It has all the basics in a nice concise format. Looking at some youtube videos is good too to learn the workflow.

If you wanna make models for TDM check out links in this thread

http://forums.thedar...post__p__314184

I'll make sure to check it out, thanks.

Would it be techniccally possible to make a size restriction (or even an image prohibition) for signatures in our forums?

@RJFerret: It seems that I can't block this image with my adblocker. When I right click on it, nothing happens. Is there another way to get rid of it you can think of?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Would it be techniccally possible to make a size restriction

I'm open to that if enough people agree. I don't especially like large images in sigs, but people have managed to police themselves thus far.

• Like 2

I had to right-click twice in Firefox.

It's URL is http://i44.tinypic.com/zircwm.jpg, so you could add tinypic.com to your Hosts file (or other adblocker/malware blocking software).

• Like 1