The Dark Mod Forums

New Dark ?

Garrett2014

Ok im sorry guys. I know im posting about thief related issues rather than TDM but theres not many resources available for thief these days. Ok im still struggling with The Water Mod for Thief and a guide on how to install it would be usefull or a link to one ! and I also want too know what Is New Dark ? is it a mission manager like Loader ? and while i think i understand the version history of Loader > Thief Loader > Dark Loader im confused as to where Dark Mission Managr comes into it and what is FMSel :/ so many apps located or mentioned through mostly older posts and Im confused as to what the latest builds are and file requirements etc. I dont expect support from the creators now as i know they are scattered to the four elements but i would hope all the info is still online someplace. Soo many sites are now dead and the Internet Archive is just a pile of man filth that stores the front page and nothing else.

Edited by Garrett2014

Oh my, I never bothered with any of the graphical patches. I think classics should stay looking classic! I did use TFix to patch it to a higher resolution so that I could record the maps and readables without them opening in a new, lower-resolution window as they did originally. Honestly, HD textures and amazeballs other enhancements just conjure up aesthetic dissonance for me. I'd recommend you just look up TFix (which will install some new textures and the like if you let it) and leave it at that.

With regards to the latter few, they all do the same thing. GarrettLoader is probably the best and most current.

Thanks Merry, A link to garrettloader perhaps ? As to the use of HD textures... I normally agree. Ive used HD texture packs , briefly, in some other games but the HD mod for Thief and Thief Gold really does bear a seond look. It really adds to the atmosphere. Some of the textures are breathtaking and you cant say that they dont help the game ompared to some of the god awfull textures of the origional. Ive not found any faults with it as such Yes one or two meshes now look chunky but there is a project i believe in the works to update the meshes. Mostly its poor level design that lets the game down now in places.

Edited by Garrett2014

Yeah, it definitely takes a nose-dive towards the end. Maybe I prefer keeping them looking aged for the sake of nostalgia, who knows?

http://www.shadowdar...downloadst3.htm

Here you go. This trumps Dark Loader since it can play pretty much everything LGS touched and a bit more.

If you're using Thief Gold and haven't got DromEd installed, you'll need to put this in the same folder as your thief.exe in order to play FMs:

http://www.thief-universe.com/?go=dl&fileid=92&dl=true

Edited by Airship Ballet

Not trying to derail any traffic from this forum, but Thief1/2 and its patches and FMs and Loaders and MODs is an entire universe in for itself.

And a pretty big one, I might say.

You should visit ttlg.com for these games.

There you will find any question answered that you might now or in the future.

NewDark : an unofficial complete overhole of the Thief engine (release in oct 2012, current version is 1.21).

It brings a lot of improvement with respect to graphics quality.

For convenience, there are TFix (for Thief1) and TafferPatcher (for Thief 2) which include that patch - along with other improvements.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141148

When it comes to FMs, be aware that the most of the latest missions are exclusively designed for NewDark.

Trying to play them with the original games will either not work or look terrible.

You should find a statement in the readme if a mission requires NewDark or not.

FmSel : this is the new mission loader that is actually part of NewDark.

It has some nice features, but lacks a bit of usability imho.

However, you can still use any other loader.

Actually I am still sticking with DarkLoader.

Regarding the WaterPatch :

from what I read, it requires NewDark. Therefor it will not work without that.

Bah, must use that broken link to get to the actual download.

Just go to this site and click the CONVICT.OSM link at the bottom. This is only necessary if you get a prompt saying you're missing convict.osm once you give it the game directory in GarrettLoader.

http://www.thief-uni...lfile&fileid=84

6xzvC.jpg

Edited by Airship Ballet

You're welcome, and a fresh install is probably best. Like Gnartsch said, TFix and a loader of your choice is all you need, then you can add what you like after that with with the help of the ttlg forums.

Anyone willing to seed the Komag DVD Archive ?

I'm at work so not right now. If it doesn't have many seeds to begin with, probably not.

Just a tip, don't use Garretloader as your mission loader. It hasn't been updated since 2009 and the author has disappeared. I'm not sure it even works with New Dark. Use Darkloader (my preference) or FMSel which is built into New Dark.

This is of course all good for Thief 1, Thief Gold, and Thief 2. If you're going to tackle Thief 3 FMS, make sure you use snobel's Sneaky Upgrade to get the game all updated and it will also install a custom FMSel to load missions.

For missions, go to:

www.thiefmissions.com

www.keepofmetalandgold.com

www.ttlg.de

or search the TTLG Fan Mission forum.

Edited by brethren