The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Gatehouse by Bikerdude & Goldchocobo (updated 02/11/2014)

Bikerdude

Not sure what you mean by, "completed the black statue objective already". The only configuration I could get to work was White, Gold, Black from left to right.

I think this was addressed by Obs already, but it's the time-order in which you place them, not where (or place-order, or permutation) you place them. I meant that your time-order did not disprove Obs' time-order hypothesis. Does that make sense?

Edited by 161803398874989

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I didn't find a hint in one of the readables as to which is the greater white or black

When GC made the puzzle I assumed he was referencing the colour to that of the value of jewelery -

black (onyx) beng the least value,

white medium value (marble or white gold)

gold to greatest.

Anyway moving on, to the next mission!

When GC made the puzzle I assumed he was referencing to the colour to that of the value of jewelery -

black (onyx) beng the least value,

white medium value (marble or white gold)

gold to greatest.

Bloody racists!

It should be called the Klu Klux Keep!

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I am playing this now and absolutely love it so far!

I've gotten myself stuck just past the monsters and before the lava. It's very easy to mantle over the spikes where you put the 3 statues. So when I put the statues down and it made a noise and nothing happened I assumed that there was a bug and just to leap over and grab the sword. That then seemed to break the triggers for the spikes moving to make way for me to move to the next section.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

@Obsttorte

The plaque at the foot of the pedestals begins, "Seated in the order of greatness..."

Oops, than it's my fault. :blush:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ah don't worry, I got it wrong - I finished it now and had an absolutely wonderful time!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Loved it! What an experience! The visuals were stunning.

I think my favorite visual part was when leaving the fiery cave into a tunnel, and at the end of the tunnel I could see some structures embedded in some lime green light. Very nice combination, and a soothing color to see after a while in red hot lava.

This mission would actually fit very well in that unusual gameplay contest. Very adventuresque, solving puzzles and riddles and combining objects and only one case of sneaking. I was particularly happy to realize this isn't a horror mission as I was expecting (but maybe the expectation kept me on my toes, enhancing the tension). And even the part that did have some ghosts to sneak it wasn't horror-like at all, as the protagonist sees them from a distance and fearlessly states the obvious. Having a scary encounter with undead would break the adventuresque feel this mission.

I did have a few quickloads but not enough to spoil my enjoyment.

By the way, is there an ending video? I didn't get one, it froze until I clicked and was sent to the stats screen.

First of kudos to the creators and all the dark mod community for the hard work they do and the great fan generated content.

However for me personally I was not a big fan of this one. I understand the idea of doing something different but it just lacked many of the gameplay aspects I personally enjoy and focused on the things I dislike the most.

To me, the jumping and mantling mechanics are iffy at best and to focus so much on that...just not my thing.

That being said, the visuals and layout were great.

It did have a sense of nostalgia as it reminded of the old First person Ultima games.

One wierd quirk, after I finished the mission it went to a cut scene from a previous mission i had played. Was that by design or is there some glitch in the ending cut scene?

I'm stuck relatively early:

I can't figure out what to do in the little chapel. There's stairs to a door before the chapel entrance, but how do I open that door?

Something with the bloody dagger? Tried putting into the hands of one of the statues (the one with something about blood written on its base), but that didn't work...

I'm stuck relatively early:

I can't figure out what to do in the little chapel. There's stairs to a door before the chapel entrance, but how do I open that door?

Something with the bloody dagger? Tried putting into the hands of one of the statues (the one with something about blood written on its base), but that didn't work...

You have to place

4 items in the trays in the hands of the 4 statues in that location.

Frikkin' mirror puzzle aside, I loved this mission. The visuals and audio were flawless. The fog and haunted castle setting followed by a very Doom3 like lava pit, then a final setting just asking for a pagan sequel were perfect. Game play was straight forward - a bit linear, but suitable for this type of mission, not too hard and not too easy. The mission had no lag whatsoever on my system. All in all, my favorite darkMod mission to date.

Appreciated: This mission is an aesthetical and mechanical masterpiece, that brings puzzles (a part of Thief's success) to the Darkmod at last. The possibilities exploited here give a new space for creativity.

Didn't like: linearity, feeling of emptyness and lack of story.

Puzzles: I found hard to randomly find what was need for puzzle #1, the mirror puzzle was quick to solve with pen and paper.

Bug: the mission finishes with a silent black screen.

A big thanks Bikerdude, Goldchocobo and the team for this completely original surprise!

Edited by plotzzz

I posted about this on the TTLG thread right after release but the major issues I had were:

For the first major puzzle, the

"gold" item, the coin, is very hard to find. I found it by randomly jumping and frobbing and as it turns out it was near that gargoyle statue.

The second issue was the 3 statuettes puzzle.

No idea how it really worked. I did it by placing black, white, gold. Each time I placed them while using this order, I got some screen shaking/sound. HOWEVER when I placed gold first as I did on my first try at it, I also got this although did not when placing the rest in the backwards order to what worked. The pedestals are pretty obvious. Maybe they have to be placed on a specific spot on the pedestals. I don't know.

The last part wasn't too bad, I guess most people are not that good at judging jump heights/lengths. I only died once because for some reason I didn't get to mantle. Mantling in Dark Mod is still a lot more forgiving than under the original Dark engine, though.

Just finished this. Awesome mission. Great atmosphere, visuals and presentation near perfect. The gameplay is unusual, but i really liked it. I wished more FM makers would implement puzzles like these, it really adds to the gameplay.

The gold coin was a bit tricky, that's true. I first missed it, then i saw there's 4 items to be placed, and i found the other 3, then went back, and immediately found it in the statue. The statue looked a bit simple btw, a bit misplaced, because the other level design is great.

Dunno if you fixed that, but i found the clue to place the golden, white and black statue in order pretty obvious. I first did it the wrong way, placing the golden statue first, but then read the text again, and it became obvious. Rather sloppy on my side, than it not being obvious enough.

Looking forward to seeing more unusual stuff like this. :)

Btw, where do you get the mission music from?