The Dark Mod Forums

Missing libraries in Linux after update

ianrace

Installation complete (had to restart a couple times as it stalled a couple times downloading certain packets)! I ran the training mission first to test things out. Everything ran well up to the point where I went to frob a picture in the object and handling room. Here is my error list from the terminal:

Regenerated world, staticAllocCount = 0.

shutdown terminal support

About to exit with code 0

ModelGenerator memory: 6 LOD entries with 8 users using 2744 bytes, memory saved: 2910 bytes.

Also, I had a chance to look at the warnings from originally loading the training level:

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_doublevision.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_skipcinematic.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_guienter.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_guiexit.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_hitarmor.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_hitflesh.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_teleportexit.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_teleportstart.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/nature/straw/straw02_loose_patch

WARNING:Couldn't load image: arms_legs

WARNING:Couldn't load image: rope_belt

WARNING:Couldn't load image: belt

WARNING:Couldn't load image: sleeve_frill

WARNING:Couldn't load image: sleeve

WARNING:Couldn't load image: tdm_tongue

WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/md5/chars/nobles/noblewoman/wench_hands

WARNING:Couldn't load image: _bloomimage

WARNING:Couldn't load image: _cookedmath

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/chat.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/mpmsgmode.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/scoreboard.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load gui: 'guis/spectate.gui'

WARNING:Couldn't load image: _bloomimage

WARNING:Couldn't load image: _cookedmath

WARNING:Couldn't load image: arms_legs

WARNING:Couldn't load image: belt

WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/md5/chars/nobles/noblewoman/wench_hands

WARNING:Couldn't load image: rope_belt

WARNING:Couldn't load image: sleeve

WARNING:Couldn't load image: sleeve_frill

WARNING:Couldn't load image: tdm_tongue

WARNING:Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/nature/straw/straw02_loose_patch

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_doublevision.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_guienter.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_guiexit.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_hitarmor.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_hitflesh.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_skipcinematic.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_teleportexit.wav' using default

WARNING:Couldn't load sound 'player_sounds_teleportstart.wav' using default

WARNING:idFileSystem::OSPathToRelativePath failed on

WARNING:unknown model type '_prelight_light_187.2'

Not sure if any of those warning are anything serious, or perhaps from a bad packet... Please let me know if I need to modify something to fix all that, or if I should delete and re-download to fix. thanks!

Edited by wwwarrick

The warnings shouldn't be tooo much of an issue. But the "About to exit with code 0" indicates that this isn't a hard crash. I've not seen this happen before though, so I'm not sure where to start. Maybe run the updater again to make sure all the checksums line up (and download correct versions of any bad files). Also, regarding your stalled updater issue, did you perhaps catch which file and/or mirror the updater stalled on?

I am the bat. The night is mine.

The warnings shouldn't be tooo much of an issue. But the "About to exit with code 0" indicates that this isn't a hard crash. I've not seen this happen before though, so I'm not sure where to start. Maybe run the updater again to make sure all the checksums line up (and download correct versions of any bad files).

I loaded up the training mission again and ran around and messed with about everything in the environment that I could to see if I could get it to crash again, but I couldn't. Soooo it may have just been a one-time thing. At least I hope so.

Also, regarding your stalled updater issue, did you perhaps catch which file and/or mirror the updater stalled on?

Indeed I did. The two files that stalled were TDM_Models02.pk4 and TDM_Textures_Stone_Brick01.PK4. The mirror was the one with your name in it. I don't remember the full name, just that "taaaki" was in there both times. :D

Also, the only issue I am having now is the sound lagging behind (like more than 20 seconds) the picture. I went through the info in the FAQ, but I can't find the dmargs.txt file that is referenced twice in relation to a fix, despite a root system wide 'find'. Is this perhaps a dated fix that no longer applies? It is a sporatic issue that doesn't want to go away once it starts. I have to close out, wait a bit, then reload the game. It always comes back, though, after a variable length of time.

Its pretty much doing it from launch every time now. I load the game and wait 20 seconds before I can hear the main menu music start.

As always, I greatly appreciate your time and help!

Edited by wwwarrick

dmargs.txt is from the pre Doom3 GPL merge era when we had a separate launcher. Try adding these two lines to the bottom of your Darkmod.cfg:

seta s_driver "oss"
seta s_alsa_pcm "default"

And regarding this:

Indeed I did. The two files that stalled were TDM_Models02.pk4 and TDM_Textures_Stone_Brick01.PK4. The mirror was the one with your name in it. I don't remember the full name, just that "taaaki" was in there both times.

I'm not seeing errors in the webserver logs and I've seen this happen with another one of the mirrors, so I'm starting to suspect that it has something to do with the updater. I'll have to check whether or not it has timeout and resume logic (if not, I'm sure that it's something that can be added).

Okay, game loaded with no sound at all. I waited to see if it was just a delay, but after a few minutes, I think it was probably just not there. Here are all the sound-related statements I could find in the terminal output.

----- Initializing Decls -----

WARNING:file sound/tdm_maps_saintlucia.sndshd, line 53: sound 'tdm_builder2_conv_1' previously defined at sound/tdm_ai_builder2.sndshd:2042

WARNING:file sound/tdm_maps_saintlucia.sndshd, line 63: sound 'tdm_builder2_conv_2' previously defined at sound/tdm_ai_builder2.sndshd:2061

WARNING:file sound/tdm_maps_saintlucia.sndshd, line 73: sound 'tdm_builder2_conv_3' previously defined at sound/tdm_ai_builder2.sndshd:2075

----- Initializing Sound System ------

sound system initialized.

------ OSS Sound Initialization ------

WARNING:failed to open sound device '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory

WARNING:sound subsystem disabled

--- Common Initialization Complete ---

------------- Warnings ---------------

during The Dark Mod initialization...

WARNING:failed to open sound device '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory

WARNING:file sound/tdm_maps_saintlucia.sndshd, line 53: sound 'tdm_builder2_conv_1' previously defined at sound/tdm_ai_builder2.sndshd:2042

WARNING:file sound/tdm_maps_saintlucia.sndshd, line 63: sound 'tdm_builder2_conv_2' previously defined at sound/tdm_ai_builder2.sndshd:2061

WARNING:file sound/tdm_maps_saintlucia.sndshd, line 73: sound 'tdm_builder2_conv_3' previously defined at sound/tdm_ai_builder2.sndshd:2075

WARNING:sound subsystem disabled

It looks like I did not have the alsa-oss package installed, so I went ahead and installed that, but I still have no sound at all. And I am still getting the same warning outputs. Is there another package that will add the needed /dev/dsp? Or should I just create said file path and just plop a .conf in there to satisfy it?

Edited by wwwarrick

I went ahead and did some googling around and found a good solution... so, if I just add "aoss" before loading the program, its all good! For example:

aoss ./thedarkmod.x86

From what I read, here is what the problem seems to be. After Ubunto 10.0 they no longer added pre-configured support for OSS audio packages, as the company that produced it made OSS4.x a non open license program until a few years later. After that time, it was added back into the kernel (for Debian that was version 6 squeeze) but it was still not automatically configured. I have Debian 7 wheezy, and it seems that there is still something funny with it where the snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss are not properly configured.

I will run through a few missions to see if the sound breaks again. If not, I would call this install complete and free of any further defects! Huzzah!

Edited by wwwarrick

aoss is not a normal installed program, it's only there if you fucked around with installing OSS. Pulseaudio should do a 'decent' job of taking over OSS if it finds its interfaces being used, if it didn't for you, it's a bug. I didn't have problems with sound on ubuntu (when i could play the linux version anyway).

Your actual problem is likely to come from something like this:

https://wiki.archlin...PulseAudio#ALSA

To prevent applications from using ALSA's OSS emulation and bypassing PulseAudio (thereby preventing other applications from playing sound), make sure the module snd_pcm_oss is not being loaded at boot. If it is currently loaded (lsmod | grep oss),
Edited by i30817

Anyway, does this work again, do we have a ppa yet? If the source is autobuildable in linux, i might try to do a lame one if i can get read access to the repository. Reminder that ia32-libs is deprecated, most distros have now multi-arch support and we need a list of non-static system libraries the darkmod uses so we can suffix :i386 and play

Edited by i30817

The dynamic libs that will need :i1386 versions are:

> ldd thedarkmod.x86
   linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00992000)
   libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x007a2000)
   libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00831000)
   librt.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00464000)
   libpng12.so.0 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0 (0x00711000)
   libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00110000)
   libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x00244000)
   libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0x00efe000)
   libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00256000)
   libm.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x0054a000)
   libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x0033b000)
   libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00993000)
   /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00f0f000)
   libz.so.1 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00359000)
   libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x00850000)
   libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x0036f000)
   libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00373000)

libcurl is statically linked now (and is itself statically linked to polarssl).

Okay, so I installed all dependant and reccomended packages related to PulseAudio, as referenced in this Debian Wiki. However, I still get no sound at all unless I add the "aoss" before the ./thedarkmod.x86. I also reverted back to the original darkmod.cfg, but still no good. The darkmod.cfg I currently use has the lines added that taaaki reccommeded here:

dmargs.txt is from the pre Doom3 GPL merge era when we had a separate launcher. Try adding these two lines to the bottom of your Darkmod.cfg:

seta s_driver "oss"
seta s_alsa_pcm "default"

I haven't really devled into PulseAudio all that much yet, so I will play around with it and see if I can get something going there. According to my understanding darkmod is trying to use OSS, but using the 'aoss' is telling it to use alsa instead. Is that incorrect? Where does PulseAudio enter into the situation? Does it just replace OSS, or does it also replace alsa?

There may be a application using pulseaudio, which has a inbuilt mixer, and it hogging the device (assuming everything is using pulse). Hell, the same thing may occur with a ALSA application, if you removed pulse (with the additional problem that the mixer is not on by default, as the arx wiki explains in the next section about using ALSA with dmix).

I'm going to try to update the linux version of DM and report back (i'm on ubuntu GNOME 14.10).

Edited by i30817

PulseAudio is meant to automagic your audio so you don't really have to worry about the details of ALSA, etc. If you remove the options that I said you should add to the config and just use PulseAudio, it shooould work (you will get sound), but there is a known issue with Doom3 and its variants (e.g. TDM) that results in delayed audio. The 'oss' trick is one workaround. Another option mentioned here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12245-linux-launching-tdm-with-pasuspender/page__view__findpost__p__264879

Just regarding the oss workaround. From my recent experience with Arch Linux, it seems that recent versions of udev don't autoload the oss kernel modules at boot. Try this with the oss settings (with alsa-oss installed):

modprobe snd_seq_oss
modprobe snd_pcm_oss
modprobe snd_mixer_oss

i've got a suggestion already just from the menu... plz implement alt+tab for linux. Downloading missions while not being able to do anything else even in windowed mode is not fun. I'm seriously going to start the wine version just to download missions.

Also, please make the menu text highlightcolor something other than white. It's impossible to read, especially on the resolution listings / if you have a unfortunate resolution for your monitor as your default one.

On the other hand, the dark mod started fine out of the box in this new clean install of ubuntu 14.10, no dependency errors or anything. Well, there is a crash on exit that prevents rebooting for setting change, but that can be fixed just by doing it manually and ignored in the normal exit mode so so foul.

Edited by i30817

i've got a suggestion already just from the menu... plz implement alt+tab for linux. Downloading missions while not being able to do anything else even in windowed mode is not fun. I'm seriously going to start the wine version just to download missions.

Also, please make the menu text highlightcolor something other than white. It's impossible to read, especially on the resolution listings / if you have a unfortunate resolution for your monitor as your default one.

On the other hand, the dark mod started fine out of the box in this new clean install of ubuntu 14.10, no dependency errors or anything. Well, there is a crash on exit that prevents rebooting for setting change, but that can be fixed just by doing it manually and ignored in the normal exit mode so so foul.

I seem to recall being able to alt-tab in Linux if you open the in-game console (ctrl+alt+`) and then alt-tab. Will test it again a bit later. The crash on exit worries me a bit. There was a segfault on exit in 2.01 that was resolved (temp fix addressed the immediate issue - at least to my knowledge - see http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3579) and confirmed as resolved by some of my test subjects. Are you able to provide the console log by any chance?

Just regarding the oss workaround. From my recent experience with Arch Linux, it seems that recent versions of udev don't autoload the oss kernel modules at boot. Try this with the oss settings (with alsa-oss installed):

modprobe snd_seq_oss
modprobe snd_pcm_oss
modprobe snd_mixer_oss

Upon trying the first command, I get the error "FATAL: Module snd_seq_oss not found." Am I missing something? I checked to make sure I had all OSS related packages installed, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the matter. Also, what exactly does the modprobe command do? For the other two lines I don't get any output, so I don't know if it really did anything.

There may be a application using pulseaudio, which has a inbuilt mixer, and it hogging the device (assuming everything is using pulse).

I only have the console open upon loading the game... I have a really fresh install of Debian 7, so I don't think there is anything hiding in the background taking up my sound device. Is there a console command to check that assumption? I also installed every Pulseaudio package available for Debian, but have had no luck in getting dark mod to use it.

Upon trying the first command, I get the error "FATAL: Module snd_seq_oss not found." Am I missing something? I checked to make sure I had all OSS related packages installed, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert on the matter. Also, what exactly does the modprobe command do? For the other two lines I don't get any output, so I don't know if it really did anything.

modprobe is used to load kernel modules (like the _oss modules). I don't think snd_seq_oss is required (it was mentioned for Arch, but it doesn't seem to exist on my Debian system). After using modprobe, you should be able to see the oss modules that have been loaded by running: lsmod | grep _oss

If that command gives you some output with snd_pcm_oss, chances are that /dev/dsp now exists and you should be able to use oss in TDM. I've shown what my Debian box does when loading these modules:

# ls /dev | grep dsp
<no output - dsp device doesn't exist>

# lsmod | grep _oss
<no output - oss not running>

# modprobe snd_pcm_oss
<no output - this is good>

# modprobe snd_seq_oss
FATAL: Module snd_seq_oss not found.
<this probably doesn't matter>

# lsmod | grep _oss
snd_pcm_oss		    28671  0
snd_mixer_oss		  10461  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm			    47226  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd				    34399  6 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer

# ls /dev | grep dsp
adsp
dsp

That being said, it might be better to try and get native ALSA working as discussed in the thread I linked earlier.

Okay, here are my outputs without any modprobing (probably from the modprobes I loaded earlier):

# ls /dev | grep dsp
adsp
dsp
# lsmod | grep _oss
snd_pcm_oss			36181  0
snd_mixer_oss		  17668  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm				53461  3 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd					42761  14 snd_timer,snd_seq_device,snd_seq,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm_oss

That being said, it might be better to try and get native ALSA working as discussed in the thread I linked earlier.

I will give it another shot and see if I can get it to work. I think part of the problem is my darkmod.cfg file. I may have managed to botch both my backup and modified versions so that I now have no "original" config file. Is there a way to download an original copy of the darkmod.cfg file?

Edited by wwwarrick

excellent, I got the workaround to, uh, work. I kept making the mistake of using the line in my darkmod.cfg

+set s_alsa_pcm hw:CARD=Live,DEV=0

which does nothing, so far as I could tell. What I had to do was look up the line s_alsa_pcm and edit it accordingly. Another problem is that I kept using the prefix "hw:card" instead of the actual device I had which was "forward:card." I played through a couple of missions without a problem, so all seems to be good.

Edited by wwwarrick
  • Like 1