The Dark Mod Forums

Thanks everyone

Springheel

I agree with you on that Springheel, I have been reading over there a lot recently too and most seem so damn hostile, rude and some posts over there are just plain odd, I'm left scratching my head wondering what the hell is going on.

I noticed that with Thief there are three main types of communities, the eidos Montreal forum, ttlg and here. And I'm quite glad I'm apart of this community as the EM forum just feels corporate and without soul, ttlg has people who are way to over the top and aggressive and its very weird but here we have a great balance and everyone helps each other out as beast they can and THATS what a community is about. :)

So I want to thank you all as well!

• Like 2

Let's hope the morons populate the Other Forums

Politeness is Happiness.

Hrm, calling people morons isn't very polite and besides that....I'm standing riGHT heRE! :P

This is a great community and I don't really have a part in it other than commenting in the forums so far, but I would like to be a bigger part of it; that's how good it is. Great mod, great people, great atmosphere.

• Like 1

Completely agree! It's so difficult fo find a forum capable of intelligent discussions that lack the usual ornery snark and intellectual one-upmanship (the manifestations of which are often too subtle or mild in individual cases to warrant moderation, but collectively create a depressing atmosphere that is self-reinforcing). Likewise, the members here seem to be, I suppose, rather worldly and open to many different experiences.

And then you're all very nice too!

*Best community ever* :)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

TTLG is a cesspool for the most part, especially outside of the classics boards (Thief / System Shock / Ultima Underworld...) and the editing boards. I almost never set foot outside of these boards to keep my sanity, and trying to have a conversation there is futile and you'll get the usual suspects to insult you if they happen to disagree with you, which happens often. They even seem to have some free passes to do that while other people can't even use a bit of profanity without having their messages edited. The amount of derailed threads devolving into flame wars is quite impressive and no one does anything to stop that for some weird reason. If TTLG was RPG Codex where it's pretty much accepted to insult other people I'd understand, but TTLG is rather strict in its rules.

One of the only people I really really like outside of these particular forums is ZylonBane, though. He cracks me up and he can sound pretty dismissive sometimes, except that he's right most of the time.

Edited by skacky

I used to think that very broadly, "geek" places were always really safe and pleasant - but even niche communities can be really unpleasant.

http://kotaku.com/a-disturbing-gift-for-fans-of-adventure-games-1512623141/@charliejane

I was just reading about this awful loudmouth who worked on a Leisure Suit Larry game outing someone as transgender and was just amazed. You would think that gaming has a bad enough rap in itself that people would be trying to behave themselves and that fans in niches beyond that would all be really supportive.

• Like 1

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Well:

Around here, a lot of the moderators (all of the moderators?) are the developers. That means if you go around causing trouble, you are detracting from progress on the game because the moderators will have to spend their precious free time dealing with the trouble maker, rather than improving the game for all of us. This is something nobody wants. The people who set out to design this game did exactly that. They didn't set out to watch over a forum.

Besides, we have had enough trouble with spammers as it is.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

One of the only people I really really like outside of these particular forums is ZylonBane, though. He cracks me up and he can sound pretty dismissive sometimes, except that he's right most of the time.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more on this part. Just making a texture mod for a game (even when it's popular in that particular forum) does NOT give you the right to be abrasive, disgusting and overall unpleasant. There are lots of ways to offer a dissenting opinion, but his is the worst. Fortunately, this does not apply in this forum, and even friend Shadowhide learned to be civil. The only real detractor is/was Adia Keeley (under his dozen aliases), and he is banned every time he falls into his old pattern.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the cutlery draw when it comes to things that are I.T. related such as level editing. However, through the TDM forums, I was able to meet awesome people such as Bikerdude, Sotha, Obsttorte, Grayman and many others who helped transform the ideas in my head into an actual TDM FM. For that I'm forever grateful.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I'm having fun here in this forum since many years already and I can't think of any other place in the internet where this would apply. Really this is a polite place with so many funny and intelligent folks here.

I remember when Shadowhide was causing "trouble" here trolling around two years ago. Heh, that was the only time I remember when it was getting hot in here some day. ^_^

It's really nice to be here. :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Sounds more like one of those funky Steampunk-or-something movies where the ruler is an Emperor and he only wishes people to be happy...For himself to be happy.

You know what I mean?

This may give you some insight into Sotha's mindset (at least, the small sub-sector of Sotha's mindset that he chooses to make comprehensible to our puny human brains): http://forums.thedar...ost__p__291993.

And as we're on the subject, I've said it before and I'm about to say it again: Sotha's forum avatar is still a near-perfect distillation what's great about TDM, and frankly, this community. A relentlessly polite and insane totalitarian AI, who is polite and insane for our own good. With a Georgian wig and 'tache.

Yeah, I like it here too.

• Like 2

I'll chime in and agree with the sentiments.

I think that since we're all a step beyond Thief enthusiasts, just because we pay mind and play not only Thief, but a mod designed to enhance the Thief experience with a more modern engine. That makes our dedication level rank into super taffers and not just normal taffers.

I hope to contribute a FM to the community soon, but I don't want to get a head of myself, and it's hard enough to make time to build when there's so many great FM's to play!! :ph34r:

Thank you TDM!

Edited by Deadlove

Sounds more like one of those funky Steampunk-or-something movies where the ruler is an Emperor and he only wishes people to be happy...For himself to be happy.

You know what I mean?

This may give you some insight into Sotha's mindset (at least, the small sub-sector of Sotha's mindset that he chooses to make comprehensible to our puny human brains): http://forums.thedar...ost__p__291993.

And as we're on the subject, I've said it before and I'm about to say it again: Sotha's forum avatar is still a near-perfect distillation what's great about TDM, and frankly, this community. A relentlessly polite and insane totalitarian AI, who is polite and insane for our own good. With a Georgian wig and 'tache.

Yep. That's what everyone does, I suppose. Trying to be happy. Or Else. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'll be the nihilist in this community then ;)

I'll say now, I wasn't in this community for too much, but I find the reason of how there are low "bad people" or so is because we're a very small community or we simply don't smell like fish for the baiters.

Still, it's better you people than total manfools. Good to meet you all.

Edited by The Black Arrow

Well, a nihilist would never have bothered to make the comment since everything is meaningless... it takes devotion to be one!

Still, even though I haven't been here long, this community is pretty great! I've always attributed it to the average age of the community but if TTLG is getting borked, it must just be something else! There was that one guy starting pissing contests every few months... at least now I know he's just after a confrontation. It does seem that publicity for TDM is growing, so there may be an exponentially growing number of jackasses in the future.

I've never found a correlation between age and consideration of others.

Or, as a great b-day card I received once proclaimed, "Aging is inevitable, but maturing is OPTIONAL!"

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I think it's just a few people at TTLG that make it feel a bit hostile these days, without which it's a happier place, but it just takes a few. And while the pendulum goes back and forth on it somewhat, unfortunately it's on a more abrasive swing and I'll be happy when it swings the other way. T4 is generating some emotions, and the community is more split on the content creation -- I mean the half that isn't waiting for T2 FMs anymore are there more for the zings now, maybe, which plays better in some sub-forums than others. I'm a moderator over there now, though, so of course I have a stake in making it a good community & be the best it can be.

But the TDM forum has almost always been a healthy & supportive community. Even when heated issues occasionally come up, and it's inevitable even for the best of them, they're dealt with better than most any other forum I can think of. Well it's a great crowd that's collected here. You can all pat yourselves on the back for being part of its healthy environment.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I haven't looked in since the Xmas holidays (apologies... been busy) but after reading this thread, I'm glad I did now.

Of course, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed and would like to offer my thanks to all the members here who help keep discussion civil - whether issues are agreed upon; or not.

I can totally respect this attitude... so thumbs up to all.