The Dark Mod Forums

Xendrox's Models

XendroX

Hi guys, I'm another fan of series, and become a fan of your peoject not so much time ago. I'm working in Lightwave from 6.5 to nowadays and now I start to lose my mind - I try create some models for this projects(until today never work for game industy, mostly inrerior modeling and creating furniture), but it's to hard for understatnding - every step is full of pain)))) I'm stucked on creating texture and displaying it at darkradiant, mostly displaying - can't understand what it wants from me - and the biggest sucks that in your wiki much needed for me images are absent. Maybe someone can update images on wiki or give me true links on such process like creating and imporing models from lightwave step-by-step?

I'm not a professional modeller, this is my hobby, but i like to study and this both (lightwave and thief) are my lovely things

If I win in this battle - i realy want to help u with creating new objects and improving old...

Thank U all for attention.

P.S. Excuse me for my English - it isn't my native language

This is my first and last work for small competition in 2008 to aprove my abilities))

gallery_3346_3_170919.jpg

And earlier by 3-5 years trying for this thief theme)))))

03442674.jpg

• Like 3

First try

Reference1c638ae8d408.jpg

My model - eac color is different surface89c3c77b380e.jpg

That's like it looks in LW e174185d41e5.jpg

1 segment consist of 1500 triangles. How much it should be?

Question - I made it all-welded-one object<, but the base can be made like 6-sided box? What will correct - all-welded models or composed models?

Next question - I read that for main model shoulde be made simplified shadow model. It must be placed in other layer or all-in-one? Can anybody give a link to example for the "realy right model", don't want to spend time for nothing.

Trying to texturing my model

Have problem with arcs:

16c9e4a63180.jpg

694a8447b42c.jpg

My actions:

Try to make new UV map for arcs and baked image on it from old UV map. New map, new image - no result?

Maybe anyone have such troubles and know what happend?

The try count could be a bit lower I guess. However, such things can easely created with patches in DR itself, so if it is not for practising I'm not sure of how much use it is. But that's just my opinion. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

1 segment consist of 1500 triangles. How much it should be?

That's pushing it a bit but I guess it's fine if you have a much simpler shadowmesh.

Question - I made it all-welded-one object<, but the base can be made like 6-sided box? What will correct - all-welded models or composed models?

Not quite sure what you mean here.

Next question - I read that for main model shoulde be made simplified shadow model. It must be placed in other layer or all-in-one?

Everything has to be in one layer to be read by TDM.

Also, if you're using a basic texture that already exists (which is a good idea as it keeps texture loading and draw-calls down) then you should try to adapt the uvmap to the texture, not the other way around. Do you know how to make morphs? That's what I use to uvmap problem curves.

Springheel, when I decide to remake comode, I want to use your default image, but couldn't find it and make my own.

When I modelling in LW most time I try to make object by polygons welded between each other. But also objects can be gathered from primitives. What method is prefered?

And one auestion about UVmap on arcs was left without answer..

Will such furniture (600 polygons in tabler and 580 in comode ) be normal for this engine?

Yes, that's fine, but give them a blocky shadowmesh that's half that. They look great btw!

When I modelling in LW most time I try to make object by polygons welded between each other. But also objects can be gathered from primitives. What method is prefered?

I don't think it matters--whatever you're most comfortable with.

And one auestion about UVmap on arcs was left without answer..

I thought I did answer it by suggesting you use morph layers. If you need something more specific I'm going to need to see what the uvmap looks like.

1.To Springheel: Want to experiment with shadow mesh tonight. I'm doing all UV with morph maps )). Problem, like I wondered, in size of polys, when I decrease number of polygons at arcs by 2, strange thing happend - half of them become normal, and another still crap ((( And in normal part 1 triple poly still undrawed

If you have some time, where I can upload this model. Maybe It's only my problem, I'm working on middle perfomance notebook with low graphic card...

2.To SteveL: Every (I don't know and can't find right word %)) ) "door" is separated object in the furniture, I thought about this option when modelling them

3.To Skaruts: Polygons are tris

I want to made full set of bedroom items in such style.

Try to make chair, and polygon count become 500, but chair still look bad ((( Have sense to make it about 1000 and shadowmech by 200?

If you have some time, where I can upload this model. Maybe It's only my problem, I'm working on middle perfomance notebook with low graphic card...

I'll PM you my email address.

Try to make chair, and polygon count become 500, but chair still look bad ((( Have sense to make it about 1000 and shadowmech by 200?

That's probably fine. It's really only the shadow-casting polys that affect performance.

Ok, one thing I notice is that you have a bunch of loose verts on more than one uvmap. There are floating verts on the "90degreeX" uvmap that are also present on the "45degree" uvmap. This usually causes problems. Clear floating verts from the uvmaps and see if that solves the problem.

Next workse77a535c829d.jpg

Bed 870 poly no shadowmesh

Chair 988 / 299 sh.mesh

Comode 581 / 265 sh.mesh

Table 600 / 254 sh.mesh

Bed reference

8d1e1999ade5.jpg

What you think about it? What you maybe change? And have sense to model bed curtains or nor?

Bed skin will be redone

• Like 4

You can have about 500.000 triangles rendered at once and still have good performance,

hail doom 3 engine, or whatever the new engine is called.

so you can easy furnish an entire room with your high tri stuff

Edited by Garreth

Taf you, you taffin taffer

You don't neccessarely need two models for that, just a skin replacing the curtain texture with nodraw.

@XendroX: Your models look nice thus far, however it would be nice if you could place them in a test map with typical lighting, so one can get an idea of how they will look ingame.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Better check the curtain models we already have. It would be good if it was in such a size it could be used for variety of purposes: window curtains, doorway curtains and such. Also be sure to make skins so that there is more color variety.

We only have one curtain at present, so an additional one would be welcome. (IMHO, of course.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.