The Dark Mod Forums

Xendrox's Models

XendroX

What you think about making different skins for furniture set? I purpose 3 classic varies - wood (be more yellow in wood), black, white. Maybe someone have another thoughts about it?

Skins are always great. The high poly looks excellent. How many polys is it

No gem version

I like this one better. The gems were just dying to by stolen. :)

I don`t know what`s happening with the normalmap. I`ve never used crazybump.

Most of our assets are 512x512 but some are 1024x1024 as I recall. Because of memory bugs, most players have to set image downsize to 512 or lower so it would

probably be best to create a high quality 512 texture than let the engine degrade a 1024 one.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

diffuse and normal for something that size should be 512. The specular (if it needs one) should be 256x256 at most.

I think I have solve some issues,can share.

Normal map through node Dpkit Normal Cast working very well

f9509744cffd.jpg

About my troubles with UV texturing - have found 2 reasons:

1st - poly's must be in only one UV map, if they are present in other, even not used, UV maps it could be crashed in engine

2nd - Problem with copy/pasting poly that's already have UVmaps (For example - I baked 1 side of comode and after baking mirrored it - in result texture has bug in engine, 2nd example - with back fo comode it was in another layer because of use the same part of image that and side polys, when after baking return it to native - same bug happend in engine)

I hope my english is enough and sentences above have sence for other people )))

• Like 4

The one on the right looks terrific.

There are different ways to make skins. You make two different material shaders, and then use a .skin file to swap one for the other.

Here's an example of a chair skin:

skin green_armchair [name of skin]

{

model models/darkmod/furniture/seating/armchair1.lwo [the model the skin should affect]

armchair [original material] armchair2 [replacement material]

}

This is map resolution issue, need higher - looks better, I tried 1024x1024 realy not bad, and second polycount*2 - and then I think it will be almost like high poly %)

Maybe will experiment with this later, want to done with one set at last ))

How a model is unwrapped is key to packing in lots of detail. You want to look for reusable parts that can share UV space. In the case of that dresser, the legs, drawers, and handles are good candidates. Of course, you may already be doing this in which case you can ignore what I've said.

What material I must link to mirror? I copy/pasting next code but doesn't understand all of it, what string is responsible to level of reflection, and is there level of reflection or not...

models/Xex_models/mirror
{
{
mirrorRenderMap	  512 512  // size of the texture to draw the mirror view in
blend blend
red	  0.5
green   0.5
blue   0.5
// opacity
alpha   0.7
// these may not be necessary when I finish the code
translate   0.5 , 0.5
scale   0.5 , 0.5
} // End mirror effect
}

a011eedfab28.jpg

Edited by XendroX

I've never used a mirror texture so someone else would have to help there. I know mirrors are pretty performance-heavy, so you should provide a non-reflective version for general use.

What material I must link to mirror? I copy/pasting next code but doesn't understand all of it, what string is responsible to level of reflection, and is there level of reflection or not...

models/Xex_models/mirror
{
{
mirrorRenderMap	  512 512  // size of the texture to draw the mirror view in
blend blend
red	  0.5
green   0.5
blue   0.5
// opacity
alpha   0.7
// these may not be necessary when I finish the code
translate   0.5 , 0.5
scale   0.5 , 0.5
} // End mirror effect
}

Remove the Alpha 0.7 line. It's making the mirror transparent.

Edited by nbohr1more
  • Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Wow these are looking great! Always wonderful to see new assets.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling