The Dark Mod Forums

Xendrox's Models

XendroX

It depends. There are lots of models that call different textures, like the bedsheets being a separate texture from the wood part of the bed. However, this is best when you can re-use existing textures. The more separate textures have to be loaded, the longer the loading time (and it probably has an impact on performance as well).

So with something like the bed, you could make a unique texture for the wood, and then re-use an existing cloth texture for the bedspread. If that's not possible, then 1024x1024 is preferable.

Sweet, yet here we see it at about 365 pixels wide... (Admittedly when lock picking, we see things up close, but also in darkness.) I was reminded of this recently in my WIP mission, I added a bunch of dirt decals to various surfaces, all of which were effectively imperceptible in game.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

These look great on my phone. I'll have to check them out on the forums to see them at a decent size.

I want to know how your PCs would it this geometry - need it to be lower poly count or not?

What is the poly count now?

. I have doubts about white set... How can it be white without additional lighting...

The white one is okay, but it looks a little bit too clean right now. It's so white it looks artificial. I would add some dirt/noise to the texture...same with the black.

There looks like there is something wrong with the shadowmesh around the mirror. Only the outside seems to be casting a shadow?

The most consuming is bed it have 1800 but shadowmesh much easy and it's not lowing fps without antialiasing :)

Yes, mirror was added like needed but neccesary object if it couldn't reflect. I close it and it will be cast wright shadows

White should be clean, but I try to do something with that)))

My biggest interest in testing this set by players to know capabilities. One guy told that it can be 500 000 on one screen, and don't demand on polycount. But better way to have some experience. I have a very low notebook today in my use, because service centre can't repair my almost 2 monthes and I can't test it by myself. Without antialiasing i have 45 fps minimum. With 16/16 - 10 maximum :)

One set has something about 7000 triangles know

As long as it has a low-poly shadowmesh, 1800 for something large is fine.

Damn XendroX these look freaking fantastic! (can't believe I missed this thread) I just went through and saw all your past work too. Very excited to get these into the game. I also hit my liking quota on the forum for the day because of this thread haha oops :P

Most impressive! Especially the brown texture is very nice looking.

The mirror probably still needs some work. Surely it cannot be just white? I once tried making mirrors and it is very difficult. I wonder if some generic reflection-cubemap could be used here?

Also, the black furniture look really, really... well, black. Like "shader not found" -black. Maybe it should be a tad more paler? The white texture looks maybe a bit too clean. It is a medieval/victorian setting, maybe the white should be a bit more.. grainy or dirty-looking? Now it is a bit too clean. See here:

http://i0.wp.com/www.../Picture-36.png

http://img1.etsystat....jpg%3Fref%3Dl2

Note how the white paint is a bit... lived looking. Like it was not painted yesterday.

I hope this helps! Overall, brilliant work!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

About black set, if you download it, you will see that on the black chair is not flat black texture , it has gray wooden structure lines, is it enough or needs something else?

I don't sure that understand what you say about mirror. I want not leave it just white but i want it to reflect like mirror must be...

If not may be render some looks like polish metal on it, but it's no good(((

About white set i know such type of painting I will remake texture to dirty one)))

Very ornate models and wow would they look great in-game in the "head guy's bedroom"! Fantastic work.

I agree both the black and white models could use some wood grain to break up the texture. The white could maybe even look like "pickled wood" or some other similar light wood grain finish like Sotha posted. Those are great.

Edited by Lux

That second screenshot looks like it's taken out of Contrast. They look really cool, would be great for a stylized game like Mad World. A bit more noise and fading and they'll look perfect for the richest of the rich.

The mirror looks reminds me of a computer monitor or TV with the entire thing being the same shade or white.

Xendrox, do you think it's a good idea for another way to make it maybe with a silver/gray color so it looks more like a prism/mirror?

We can always fix the mirror. Point the material to a dummy shader for now.

I think the blend blend in your original material is causing the problem.

It expects an alpha channel to blend with and setting the opacity to 0 just makes it blend with nothing. The material

need to be free of non-mirror stages. Probably like:

models/Xex_models/mirror
{
{
mirrorRenderMap   512 512  // size of the texture to draw the mirror view in

// these may not be necessary when I finish the code
translate   0.5 , 0.5
scale   0.5 , 0.5
} // End mirror effect
}

Biker has a working mirrors in Business as Usual and Caduceus of St Alban so you could also use those as reference.

Edited by nbohr1more
  • Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic models XendroX, now TDM high class will have more chinny stuff to put on their bedrooms and we to search in for bling :D one thing you need to tho is make your textures less clean and new, one good way to improve your textures is to apply a baked ambient occlusion from the high poly to the low poly, it will bring out all the details, i also use the AO map has a mask to give the models some dirt and grime, then i use a scratch map (black texture with 1 pixel lines all over the place) on photoshop with the blend mod "screen" to give the textures that scrashed and used look, i also multiply some dirt texture over it and play with masks and opacity to tweak the effect.

Hi, this is me again )) Tries to make gothic bedroom become in ass pain, because I still haven't back my work's notebook, and LightWave shutting down with errors almost every 10 minutes %((( That's why I decide to make final version of nobble bedroom, started yesterday. Add old skin, change main colour of wooden skin, add some noise to black and white skins, and fixing founded issues with models...

eb12ddc47324.jpg

19d8a16cc526.jpg

e8daf9302ceb.jpg

• Like 3