The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission Beta Test: Elite City

Garreth

:rolleyes:

I don't know for sure, but couldn't it be possible? No insults to Shadowhide if this isn't the case. Haven't heard of him a long time. Just wondering. :mellow:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

No, no, it isn't. You can read up on me here! I'm probably nowhere near as interesting as somebody infamous enough to be suspected of coming back in disguise.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15791-where-are-you-from/page__view__findpost__p__331786

I guess there is a misunderstanding - I meant that it could be possible that Shadowhide is feeling the lust to troll a bit and so he made a new account with the name Garreth.

I did not suspect you to troll around here. ...Although this situation and your comments now made you very suspicious.... ;) Just kidding! :P

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Well, I gave this a brief test and it hard-locked TDM with a grey screen of death. Could be an issue with this map vs the SVN Dark Mod I'm running but other

missions didn't do this. And yes, this does need some performance optimization...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Visportals are also used for proper sound propagation, so visportaliazing the outside is definetely needed, even if it does not affect performance.

While true, granted, in this specific map layout, the exterior sound path improvements I don't believe would be worth the investment in time (although as I have said previously, perhaps in the previous thread, it's already naturally a layout that lends itself to exterior visportals, so not as much would need to change as most to establish them).

One AI has distinctive footsteps, which would then derive from a more appropriate direction.

(It comes down to what investment will offer the most return, especially if there's been reluctance.)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I don't know for sure, but couldn't it be possible? No insults to Shadowhide if this isn't the case. Haven't heard of him a long time. Just wondering. :mellow:

Shadowhide stopped trolling and learnt how to map. His recent screenshots in the Editors Guild are bloody awesome!

garreth isn't Shadowhide. I do see where your coming from though :P

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Could we give Garreth beta-forum privs and move this thread there? Seems like that is where it should be. We don't need 4 pages of commenting on OT issues in a public forum to tarnish the FM.

Could we give Garreth beta-forum privs and move this thread there? Seems like that is where it should be. We don't need 4 pages of commenting on OT issues in a public forum to tarnish the FM.

I created a beta testing thread in the testing forum, and asked Springheel to give Garreth access.

did you know that they used the dark mod as a template for thief 4, the devs play the mod themselves, no joke.

I know several of the Eidos devs are familiar with TDM. Some are even fans. But there's certainly no evidence they used it as a template for T4.

While true, granted, in this specific map layout, the exterior sound path improvements I don't believe would be worth the investment in time (although as I have said previously, perhaps in the previous thread, it's already naturally a layout that lends itself to exterior visportals, so not as much would need to change as most to establish them).

One AI has distinctive footsteps, which would then derive from a more appropriate direction.

(It comes down to what investment will offer the most return, especially if there's been reluctance.)

Visportalizing the outdoor area is actually pretty easy. And if it is not done, the whole outside area will be one single leaf, which means that if you are standing on one side of the house and a guard makes a noise on the other side, the sound will simple go through the house as if isn't there, and the same vice versa. This has a heavy impact on gameplay and therefore needs to be done.

the two are not connected, what i do here has nothing to do with directing a game development.

Without any intend to provoke you, but the mission quality shows that you are completely new to the idTech4 engine. Mentioning that your are a pale of some professional game developers sounds like a little boy trying to argue by posing with his big brother.

I fairly doubt this was your intention and I guess we started on the wrong feet her (is this the correct proverb?, sounds odd in english). You simply started confusing us a bit, but I think that's clear now. Good luck betatesting your FM.

If you finally release it, do it in a new thread, so this one can be deleted. (not my decision, though)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I knew it sounded odd. Thanks :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Visportalizing the outdoor area is actually pretty easy. And if it is not done, the whole outside area will be one single leaf, which means that if you are standing on one side of the house and a guard makes a noise on the other side, the sound will simple go through the house as if isn't there, and the same vice versa. This has a heavy impact on gameplay and therefore needs to be done.

Correct. Of course, that would require a the conditions you describe. Think of it instead as not having another side, but being an L shape. Not to repeat myself, this specific map does lend itself to visportaling the exterior easier than most, however there won't be a significant gain, bolding words notwithstanding. ;-)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I know several of the Eidos devs are familiar with TDM. Some are even fans. But there's certainly no evidence they used it as a template for T4.

I told them to take it as a template, maybe it is not exactly a template, for Thief 4, anyway, we did got off the wrong foot, and most of the time i am not clear enough, if i would tell you that i came up with making Thief 4 you would not believe me,

when those 2 dev's left the office i was there, it was all about a discussion over, 1st person and 3th person,

i said, if you make the game to be played from a 3th person perspective, it will suck,

he said yeah but Metal Gear and Splinter Cell are bla bla bla,

then the boss showed up and told em yeah 1st person takes you in to the game, 1st person it is.

He said this is my game - the boss said if you don't like it, you can go.

He and his friend left with him.

That was the big argument and the reason the 2 big devs left, as i see it no big loss, they wanted to make it a third person shit game.

the other work i did was just a little guidance, like the hand on the wall when you peek, all these dynamic things, or the dog's where original not calculated in.

A function in the menu for choosing a light gem, the ability to map any button to any function, an option many games lack, full menu for graphical settings same thing.

From editing a game i know nothing at all, hence me trying to get in to it a bit trough this great mod, and the game is playable without that instinct shit, that was not my idea, i kind of dislike it, but you have the option just not to use it, it is not required. which is good.

o and the most important part, i don't know if it is implicated, but i had this idea to have a simplified 3d map with some sort of noise effect overlay, of the real map area, and reveal that as you go trough the level or pick up a map, to give you a a view as if in an imagination, is showing you how it looks, so not just a piece of paper with lines but a 3d memory map, that way you can see wich area's are left black/un-explored.

a function the dark mod could use possibly.

further the map thing was done in, Skyrim, wich is an acctual height map of skyrim.

i built the cove at the pirateboat cave.

la noir was built from Maffia city of lost heaven best game ever made

built 1 wardrobe in LA Noir which is in the furniture warehouse if you played it... (it kinda sucked)

Gave some advise for Farcry3

directed/made a puzzle for the last Tomb raider.

And a whole lot of other stuff, i went from company to company day to day, to give advise, not just in the game industry.

It is more like a friend of a friend of a friend could use some advise, and so it keeps going, and you see the world, while at it.

Edited by Garreth

Taf you, you taffin taffer

Would you care to back some of that up? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

• Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

back it up? travel tickets?

other shit i came up with

the window 7 loading glass tube with water in it

Xbox one extra fans

boxy shape of PS4

directed a comedy with Jennifer Aniston. (uncredited :) bye bye .......AAAWKEY LETS GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE

no way to back it no need to back it up.

Taf you, you taffin taffer

Yeah, fuck proof amirite? BTW, I'm not only the father of Chris Roberts (despite being younger than him, it's secret time travel tech), but I also taught him all he knows. I also invented the Saturn V rocket, and once arm-wrestled Nikola Tesla. I've had dinner with Vladimir Putin, and helped the decision for the Olympics to be held at Sochi. I did some backstage work with Michael Jackson and some editing assistance for J.K. Rowling. Want proof? Don't need it, right?

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080