The Dark Mod Forums

Where is the TDM?

Jinix

I just downloaded TDM latest version to a new win7/new SSD drive.

I made a folder call "darkmod" in my programs files x64.

I had lunch while it downloaded

It finished downloading and I looked for the TheDarkMod.exe in the folder - nothing there except the file I downloaded "tdm_update_win.zip' - no other files.

Thats funny I thought so I searched around to see where it might have gone - nothing! Even windows search found nothing.

So I rebooted and looked again still nothing,

Okay do it again I thought and so ran the updater again.

It races thru the download and says all files are up to date ---

duh? what files and where are they? - I know my computer and windows and very little escapes me but this has me baffled and no amount of searching finds me the TDM.

Any suggestions as to my solving this would be much appreciated.

Well on today's versions of Windows, users generally do not stick things in program files unless it is done by a traditional installer designed for Windows. This is because write permission to that location is now restricted. It didn't used to be restricted in win98/xp, but anyway...

I'm thinking a few things. In windows 7, if a program tries to write to program files\app name, but can't, it writes to a directory in your user profile folder. This is so that old software which REQUIRES writing to program files\app name can still run, because the modifications that it makes to internal files are transparently sent to your personal profile folder instead.

So, I'm guessing TDM is stuck in your user profile folder somewhere because it tried to write to program files\darkmod, but was not allowed to write to program files\darkmod.

Do a file search on your machine for thedarkmod.exe and see if it comes up.

Or if you're hardcore and you hate the GUI search tools, open a command prompt and type:

cd \

dir /s thedarkmod.exe

That will do a recursive search for thedarkmod.exe on the C partition.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Thank you for the timely answer and how to find it.

Normal windows search found nothing but using DOS as you suggested worked.

It was in Windows/SysWOW64.

I have cut them out and will have another go at installing it later.

I'll let you know when done. Meanwhile I suggest adding to the install readme that one should NOT make the folder in Program Files (x64).

Again thanks for the help.

Its not 64 bit so yeah, you'd not want it in that folder. You probably wouldn't have any issues with putting it in Program Files (x86) though I've not done it so I don't know for sure. TDM is a 32bit .exe though so that is where you'd want it so windows executes it properly.

Also, the standard "Program Files" folder is the 64 bit version. There is no folder that I'm aware of that has (x64) on the end of it.

I imagine with TDM being 32bit and you putting it in the 64 bit folder, that windows has moved it to sysWOW64 which allows it to translate it from 32bit to run on 64bit.

I think you can use a GUI search if you do an Advanced Search and select the box for "search hidden files and folders".

@lost_soul

Is the Program Files (x86) also write protected in this manner? I would assume not because of 32bit app backward compatibility.

Edited by Lux

@Jinix: Can you move the darkmod folder to a safe place like your documents? Make sure its the right folder though, containing the pk4 files and the like.

@Lux:

I'm not sure about the X86 compatibility thing, but I would imagine the same rule applies. They really do not want programs just writing wherever said program feels like it anymore... and for good reason!

The backward compatibility thing won't be a problem for older software because as far as it knows, it wrote to (and is reading from) the program files folder. The problem comes into play when the user wants to find files that a program supposedly saved to program files\appname, for example screen dumps or saves in old games.

I just wish they didn't put the stuff in an obscure place, 6-8 levels deep in terms of sub-directories.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

hello,

I found where it had gone SysWOW64, and cut the files from there and pasted them in a new folder on the desktop - ran it and the game started up fine.

Other than having the problem of setting video size, it seems to work just great.

The setting for video does not appear to have a setting for my screensize 1920x but plays well at other settings... not important right now as I'm getting a nVidia 760 next week.

So bottom line?

All is well and looking good.

Again thanks for helping.

In Settings > Video set your Aspect ratio to 16:10 and the 1920x option should become available.

Brilliant!!!

That certainly worked - now I'm all set to 'venture forth'.

Thanks - these little hints that can floor some of us should be included in the setup readme.