The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Standalone and MotY finally reported on TTLG

Subjective Effect

(Now we need to crush that little troll who edits the "stealth game" wikipedia entry to remove The Dark Mod because "it's not notable"...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_game

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Um, Wikipedia notability guidelines don't apply to article content and TDM has it's own article, if he reverts my edit I'll contact him.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

if he reverts my edit I'll contact him.

Well the following link wich has 10 refercnes should put the little prick in his place.

- http://en.wikipedia....ki/The_Dark_Mod

And there no harm spreading the word about TDM, but 'Wakipedia' serves no one but its own self interests. And this is compounded by the fact its owned by a minority religious group.

Oh, I'm an old hand at not getting involved in individual's edit wars, years ago I was a bit addicted to contributing over there. Some pages feature my photos (picked up by the German version too), among other contributions. I'm one of the phew who escaped unscathed. Like it or not, it's still one of the most visited sites, top sources of information, and contributes significantly to knowledge. I can tell you it was my first stop after seeing the Slashdot article on TDM, before I tried the website even.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

Is it true that Wikipedia has an insider's club that will protect their articles from any inconvenient facts they don't agree with? Sure it is. Why don't you ask Biker all about how his edits to a motorcycle page, with facts straight from the manual, went for him?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It's probably just that those who maintain TTLG.com as well as many other thief-related sites aren't exactly that active these days. Thiefmissions.com for example rarely gets updated, and gnartsch even runs a site that has a list of stuff missing. I don't think TTLG forums users are really as averse to Dark Mod as many here think. It's likely mostly just that they'd need to adjust to the game and many (most?) probably need a new computer for it as well being the most important sticking point. You probably need a ~3ghz CPU, ~8gb ram and a ~$150-250 GPU to run Dark Mod well without it choking in parts of many missions, whereas T1/G/2 and even TDS run quite well on much lesser specs, even with many of the higher res texture/higher poly object enhancements that are available for them.

Wikipedia on the other hand really is a wasteland where people who are part of special interest groups and have inside connections or clout go deface and edit in bias especially on more serious topics and can do it with impunity, not even following the stated rules in doing so. Anything political is the absolute worst when it comes to this.

Wikipedia seems to be used by some to change history of actual facts into a strange history that isn't true. Better off using a library with books in it than using an online wiki which anyone can change.

It's a long debated problem, sometimes overlooked.

Anybody can trace the changes too!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Wikipedia has the same problems that proper Communism does - people get involved, and people are assholes.

• Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Wikipedia has the same problems that proper Communism does - people get involved, and people are assholes.

Well, in all humanity things.....humans get involved :v

The ultimate goal is to create an asshole-proof system :ph34r:

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I just followed up on Wikipedia, I had a notification and was preparing to react to negativity, but instead discovered that a certain aforementioned individual had, "...thanked you for your edit on Stealth game" and subsequently he/she enhanced it subtly. Perhaps verbiage had impact previously (which was most often the case in my experience)? Or enough repeated edits prompted recognition? Or an edit from a new person? Or non-anonymous account? Or they finally looked at the Talk page (where they should have brought it up to begin with...but is pointless with anonymous edits) or main TDM wiki page?

Either way I perceive they have embraced it, since they embellished it, and likely will fiercely prevent anyone trying to remove it in the future! ;p

But seriously, if somebody claims to be a keeper of "Stealth Game" truth, and *doesn't* know about or appreciate TDM, you have to wonder if they really care about the topic. Fortunately, it seems people that do care were the ones to first see your edit.

That's what gets me about Wiki, not just that some people are assholes, but they get involved in things they don't seem to really care about, because if they did care about it they'd want to be sure it was accurate & fair. But I don't let myself get drawn in...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

No, it's all been the same person, I just offered a different approach.

Actually the problems come from people who do care. They get invested. It becomes about ego and personal bias. (As exemplified by previous respondents in this thread expressing their own.)

Impartial parties make the best editors.

PS: Not to get pop-psych, but as Dr. Phil repeatedly would say, people react to how we act. So if you want a different reaction (reverting an edit), act differently (present the edit and editor differently).