The Dark Mod Forums

Jobs...do you work with computers in your day job?

Deadlove

Seems with the amount of knowledge here that many of us here would have a computer related income.

Not I, my primary income has nothing to do with using computers.

My side work is sound engineering. Now if I could turn that into the breadwinner I'd be a happy goose.

Good luck. Worth mentioning that Digi studied to be an architect and eventually landed a job with Arkane and was a mapper for Dishonored among another things. I liked some of the stories he'd tell, like how amazed some of them were with his ideas on scripting and sophisticated gameplay. In some ways, our collective design knowledge making FMs has advanced us much further than most commercial games.

Edit: As for my work, lawyers have to research & write a ton, so it's all done on a computer, but I wouldn't call it computer work of course. Interestingly though, legal code is not all that different from computer code, e.g., in how you read it or how to deal with "debugging".

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm a scientist and a lot of the work I do is handiwork, so I view myself as some sort of artisan. Computers come in when I do some research and data analysis, and of course the majority of the bizarre contraptions we use for our studies are computer-operated.

No, I don't have a hazard suit, unfortunately. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Are you a Dr? If so I want to see your top hat and sword.

Not yet. I'm hoping of graduating during this year, though.

When I started this long and rocky path, I was sure I'm gonna get those nice accessories when/if I get to the end. Nowadays I feel it would be plain silly to pay a fortune for an obsolete weapon which is just extra luggage to carry in academic parties. As a very practical person, I'd prefer an easily concealable doctor's swiss army knife.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Previous job where I got laid off a few years ago was application/db support/systems analyst/QA testing. Current job which is less computers but still a lot is as a CNC machinist. Mastercam 2D/3D design. I also set up and handle the network and our mechanical drawing database here. I've also taught others in the building (read old stubborn guys) how to use Mastercam. Very frustrating sometimes but also rewarding.

I miss my old job though I like how the new one is more hands on and physical...gets me off my lazy butt for at least a few hours a day. :)

I'm a scientist and a lot of the work I do is handiwork, so I view myself as some sort of artisan. Computers come in when I do some research and data analysis, and of course the majority of the bizarre contraptions we use for our studies are computer-operated.

The same, except as a social scientist, the most bizarre contraption at my disposal is my stapler. <_< Would totally wear a sword, though. As a guy with a Ph.D., I surely deserve the privilege.

As is, the most likely place you'd find a sword around here would be the katanas which are inexplicably super-popular with the Gypsy mafia.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

As most people have guessed or know I do work with computers as my day job, I am a PC/Mac computer engineer. I did a HND (technical degree) in electronics while working for the local eletricity board, but then found that it wasn't technical or paid enough. That was 19yrs ago, which is about the same time I started riding motorcycles.

As long as they're cheapies with rat-tail tangs, they're nothing to worry about. One good impact and they snap off.

Kinda like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kFgeZtkAb8

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Not anymore, but my career started there, which led to 3D animation (hence enjoying mapping), video production, then veered away to unrelated things.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I teach high school English and Visual Art. One of my publishing courses lets me play a bit with Photoshop and inDesign, which is nice.

I'm a mathematician. I made my Diploma Septembre last year and am currently unemployed. East-Germany isn't the best place to find a job :(

However, I am focused on simulation stuff like Finite Element Method, which is done on a computer, although you spend most of the time looking at the screen waiting for the program to finish (which can take some days if the degrees of freedom are high enough :D).

I could also imagine working as a teacher, who knews.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I work for an engineering company that specializes in building oil rigs. I catalog all the equipment and materials that we buy. It doesn't sound like the most exciting job in the world but it's in a very beautiful location. It's in the countryside so the office is surrounded by views over beautiful open fields. Also most of my work colleagues are great people. I have been offered other jobs for more money in the capital city. But working in a concrete jungle and been surrounded by hundreds of people that don't have the time to talk to you doesn't seem worth the extra money to me.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Stone mason, eh? What's that like as a job?

OT: Yep, spend too much time in front of them I'd reckon.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080