The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 5 or `how can the plot be fixed`

vvGarrettvv

Will there be a Thief 5?

I don`t know.

Do I want a Thief 5 ?

Based on Thi4f and T3 ? I think not.

But if there will be a fifth part how can the plot be fixed?

That`s easy:

Make it like they`ve done with DALLAS `85/`86 / Season 9

Garrett wakes up and says to Basso during breakfast in theyre favorite inn:

Man! I gotta real bad dream: There were witches, the keepers died

and there was a plague and maaan, I couldn`t jump were I wan`t and

I got some sort of superpowers.

Some of the ale last night has been too fermented . Ok! But now back to business!

But thank god, there`s the dark mod ;)

Edited by vvGarrettvv
  • Like 2

If Thief 4 will be a success, they will continue the style. And if Thief 5 will be a success, they will turn it into something like Assassins Creed, with a different setting in each game, because the kids nowadays get immediately bored of the same style. That's reality. :wacko: Actually i accpeted for myself that i have grown out of nowadays target audience. Hope that doesn't sound arrogant, it's not supposed to be. It's just that i feel like older games suit me way better than nowadays' ones. Well, not a problem, that way i don't have to spend 1.000€ every 5 years to get new hardware. :P

• Like 1

Let the dead stay dead. Leave Thief and Garrett alone.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well, not a problem, that way i don't have to spend 1.000€ every 5 years to get new hardware. :P

Also save lots of hard drive space given old games take up a couple hundred MB, as opposed to new games are a couple GB.

• Like 1

Like I pointed out elsewhere a few times, a good reboot should be a plain remake that simply brings back the nostalgic essence and expectations of the title, and new ideas should go into spin offs for a start. This way they wouldn't get any fans pissed off, would get new users familiarized with the original concepts, and the spin offs would get them a good grasp of which new ideas work and which don't, and which ideas the main title might benefit from.

Since EM did it backwards (as did everyone else that I can think of who made reboots so far), the main reliance is on the new user base that it'll get, which is probably, and by large, all those people who aren't aware of the original essence or those who don't take it to heart.

Which leads to what chk772 said. If the new user base becomes strong and thief 4 does well (and assuming T4 really proves to be the piece of crap that so far seems to be), then a fecal franchise is born and will reek for as many years and sequels as they can stretch it to. Which means thief as we know and love remain dead. Just like XCOM and Duke Nukem.

In fact, XCOM is a good example of this. The game isn't a bad game, but its title brings expectations with it that the game doesn't really manage to be on par with. Would be a really good spin off (even if quite generic in many ways), but instead it's a rather mediocre reboot (and one which contributes to this modern video-games-accessibility-gameplay mentality that tries to keep people dumb and/or lazy instead of encouraging people to bravely overcome obstacles and actually achieve things).

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook