The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Home Again (by grayman) (2014/2/12)

grayman

81 members have voted

1. 1. Overall

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

Just finished...

Grayman, my friend, I have NO WORDS to explain the beauty and the pleasure on playing this mission.

It's a real masterpiece, no more, no less.

B)

• 4 weeks later...

Got the "body with that name already exists" playing card error. Search found two bugtracker tickets with no updates (1, 2), I can provide the savefile if that could help. There's only one card player I can think of on this map.

Might as well post minor issues.

Out of bounds on builder church. Out of bounds between inventors and watch station. Some weird lighting in the lobby. And a tiny little piece of see-through geometry here.

Great mission by the way! Proper thieves' highway and all that. The WS series is like a humongous cherry on top when playing in alphabetical order :D

Hi grayman, just wanna thank you for this wonderful mission.

I had savegame crash bug (the game crash every 3 or 4 saves), but it didn't prevent me for playing your mission.

Was a little sad at the end, i was hoping going back to the start for extend pleasure.

Congratulation \o/

Hi grayman, just wanna thank you for this wonderful mission.

I had savegame crash bug (the game crash every 3 or 4 saves), but it didn't prevent me for playing your mission.

Was a little sad at the end, i was hoping going back to the start for extend pleasure.

Congratulation \o/

Glad you enjoyed it!

If you have a savegame from just before the end, you can leave the Watch station and travel back to where you started. That's a valid way to end the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing through again and possibly a glitch which I am sure I didn't notice last time

Lt Biers key doesn't open his door

Yes, that's been reported and is already fixed in the update, which will come out after 2.02 is released.

Thanks.

Excellent mission. Had a blast.

The mission was on the easy side, but I'm happy for that, because long mission means you are bound to get sloppy at some point.

Note to self: give player tools. Using tools makes things more fun.

I was picking the money coffer lock in the Watch Station Lobby when Ronald (the Benny vocal set guy.) Enters the room and freaks out. I'm not save/loading because dealing with consequences of failure is part of the interesting gameplay.

I ran out of the room and closed the door and went to the office nearby. On the 2 seconds run into the room I realize that, because grayman was friendly enough to give proper tools, I can actually contain the discovery. All I would need to do is make sure Ronald does not spread the word that there is an intruder around.

So I made a U-turn and pulled out gas arrows and dropped Ronald as he came to the corridor. At that point I heard footsteps in the corridor, lunged at Ronald's limp body and carried him to the office. I just picked up R-man's sword from the floor as another guard came around the corner. He never noticed a thing! Ha!

Very tense moment. And I covered it! :D

Got stealth score of 14, which ain't terribly bad.

Thanks again! Great mission! :wub:

I have absolutely no complaints (except that I am a weakling who gets exhausted by two straight hours of careful sneaking. Should have some pauses, sure, but the mission had a terrifying grip on me and I had to see it through fully.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally able to start playing missions again, and started with this one. As others have said, it's a masterful rooftop experience.

I had a couple odd things...

in the cells, the doors would not open when I frobbed them (I had both keys). I could unlock them, but frobbing them did nothing--no noise even. But then, at seemingly random times when I wasn't even looking at them, they would open, at which point I could frob them normally, unless I closed them all the way, at which point I could only lock and unlock them again. A couple of the cells (including the one with the prisoner) never opened at all so I wasn't able to get in there.

The note about Fuchs said to look in his library, but I wasn't able to find a library. Does one exist?

Because I found maps of Cleighmoor, and then stumbled on the elevator, I actually thought going there was part of this mission! I hadn't been to the evidence room yet, so I started thinking the evidence must be in Cleighmoor (since it was all sent there) and so I went back up to look for the key. Then when I went down again, the mission ended, which caught me by surprise.

I found the distinction between rooftops and "street" hard to figure out. Once I fell onto a barrel and was safe, but I stepped off the barrel and the mission failed. And I was able to swim through a canal, but when I climbed UP a ladder and got off at the first landing, the mission failed. I guess that's one of the downsides of roof-top missions.

Lots of fun loot to find, and an interesting mix of character types. The readables were enjoyable, but I apparently never found the location of the

blackmailer, so that whole plot is still a mystery to me.

I played on Expert and found the amount of equipment to be overkill as well. I used two gas arrows to deal with guards I accidently alerted, but I think I still had three or four left by the end. I would have enjoyed more challenge at that difficulty, though there was plenty else to enjoy in the mission.

Really liked the

suicide and the vault combination lock. The readables were great, and the sense of character in the watch guards was a treat.

Most enjoyable moment:

I jumped onto a landing area above the suicide victim, leaned in to listen at the door and heard the guard on the other side turning the handle right at that moment, causing me to yell and make a running leap for the awnings on the other side of the street as the door opened.

Many thanks for this mission, and I look forward to playing Cleighmoor!

Glad you enjoyed it!

The problem you had with the cell doors is odd. They always worked fine for me and the beta testers. Don't know what went wrong there. Did you play using 2.01, or SVN? Maybe something in SVN is bothering the cell doors.

The note about Fuchs' library wasn't meant to make you think there was a library to find. The note was put there by the blackmailer to incriminate Johannes so he would go to jail and forfeit the house to the bank. (The blackmailer is the banker, btw. If by "blackmailer" you're referring to the voice on the Player machines, he's not the blackmailer. We'll hear more from him later in the series.)

When you read the materials in the Evidence Room and Captain Marston's room, the objectives change to indicate that you can exit the mission via the sewer ("go on to Cleighmoor") or cross back through the city to where you started, which allows people to retrace their steps if they think they missed a rooftop room.

Don't know what went wrong there. Did you play using 2.01, or SVN?

Yes, I was playing with SVN.

I also had an odd, repeatable situation where TDM would freeze when an AI came down the elevator in the storage room....don't know if that was just a bad save game or not, but might be something to keep an eye out for.

When you read the materials in the Evidence Room and Captain Marston's room, the objectives change to indicate that you can exit the mission via the sewer ("go on to Cleighmoor") or cross back through the city to where you started, which allows people to retrace their steps if they think they missed a rooftop room.

Yes, I should have realized the choice meant you couldn't actually get to Cleighmoor. But getting the maps and finding the entrance had already convinced me I was going to be able to. :)

Great mission; just having problems finishing it. I got to the Cleighmoor entrance in the sewers, and achieved the final objective, but didn't get 'Mission Complete'. (I haven't got the optional loot objective - wasn't playing to get that anyway - but the other objectives are OK.)

OK, I thought, I'll just get back out onto the rooftops and finish the game that way (which I was very happy to do), but the waste gate is now stuck in the closed position and (short of noclipping) I can't find any other way out.

Probably missing something painfully obvious, but any pointers welcome.

There's a button to the side of the waste gate that should open it. If that's not working, it's a bug.

The mission should end when you reach the sewer gate. Was it open, or closed, when you got there with fully-completed objectives?

Just loaded an earlier save game:

1. D'oh. Button's there and working fine, just didn't see it.

2. The sewer gate is half-open: -

post-9265-0-27778100-1399586419_thumb.jpg

'Objective completed' flashes up when I approach it but game still doesn't end.

This is the state of my objectives: -

post-9265-0-22598200-1399586771_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-14676300-1399586773_thumb.jpg

That's very odd. I don't have an explanation for why this happened, and you're the only person to report it.

The door being partially opened tells me the game knows you've completed all objectives.

At this point, all I can say is that you're done, and can call it quits.

I assume you're playing with rev 2.01.

Yup, v2.01. No worries, now I know how to get out I'm happy to explore the rooftops a bit more. :smile: I didn't bother too much with loot on the way over - I still remember 'In The North' and the paroxysms of guilt I got from realising I had just stolen money from a refuge for abandoned crippled orphan kittens (or something) - but will probably just grow a pair for my return trip and hoover up anything that isn't nailed down.

Not much to add to the praise already heaped on this. I got lost on the rooftops too, and liked having to use the map and compass to try and keep my bearings (still took me ages to find the final access point to the station though). Loved the deadpan humour of the evidence notes, especially

the missing bottle of poison (there is one missing isn't there?)

Also, re the generator fire:

I extinguished it with a water arrow, but wasn't aware of any consequences. Does anything happen if you put it out?

And finding the 'alternative route' in the station was a bonus, even though by that stage I didn't need it.

Also, I came to this from having played T4 for a few weeks, and oh the joy and freedom of having control over jumping/mantling again. There's quite a few things I enjoyed about T4, but the jumping 'mechanic' (viz.: 1. Move character into position; 2. Hit space bar; 3. Watch game do the jump for you) wasn't one of them.

Thanks for a(nother) great FM.

Yup, v2.01. No worries, now I know how to get out I'm happy to explore the rooftops a bit more. :smile: I didn't bother too much with loot on the way over - I still remember 'In The North' and the paroxysms of guilt I got from realising I had just stolen money from a refuge for abandoned crippled orphan kittens (or something) - but will probably just grow a pair for my return trip and hoover up anything that isn't nailed down.

Don't feel too bad about hoovering. The mission briefing mentions getting the City Watch stirred up by stealing as much as you can.

Loved the deadpan humour of the evidence notes, especially the missing bottle of poison (there is one missing isn't there?)

Yes, there is, and you're the first person who's said he noticed that subtlety.

Also, re the generator fire: I extinguished it with a water arrow, but wasn't aware of any consequences. Does anything happen if you put it out?

Nothing happens to you, but if you were able to observe the jailer's reaction when he finds the doused flames, you'd understand how scared he is of that happening.

Glad you enjoyed it!