The Dark Mod Forums

A new way of looking at Thief 4

Springheel

Don't presume you know enough about me to make statements like that, simply because unlike yourself, I don't take a video game series a bit more than too seriously. You should also stop using closed mindedness as if you knew what it meant. Making a mountain out of a molehill would be an understatement on a level that the English would be jealous of in relation to what you're attempting here. This is a game about stealing things, it is not a biting social commentary on treatment of the poor, or the invisibility of the disabled, and you do a disservice to both communities of people by attempting to compare their daily realities with a friggin' video game you don't like. Ego the size of a small planet.

• Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

that competition is only open to people living in USA, plus sounds like you have to create the mod in thief gold. I wouldn't enter it using TDM as a base as the copyright section copyrights all mods to square-enix, it just could be a back door into copyrighting TDM to square-enix, or amazon, or someone else. Or it could just be a scam to get your details. because all the links automatically go to a place asking for your details, and you can only find out more by clicking at the tabs on the box.

Responding to you, should be obvious without the quotes. If you want to talk about nauseating, try looking through your recent post history in this thread. Closed minded? Closed minded would making a clone of the old Thief games to literally cash in on nostalgia.

closed-mind·ed (klōzd′mīn′dĭd)

adj.

Variant of close-minded.

Adj. 1. closed-minded - not ready to receive to new ideas

close-minded

narrow-minded, narrow - lacking tolerance or flexibility or breadth of view; "a brilliant but narrow-minded judge"; "narrow opinions"

By the very definition, Thief 4 cannot be closed minded. They have not had a lack of tolerance or refused to accept new ideas, or lacked flexibility in trying new things. Doing something that fit those definitions would be crapping out something that played like T1/2, and looked like T4 does now.

You are literally in a self reinforcing cycle of negativity, and T4 could release to critical acclaim from old fans and new people alike tomorrow and you'd still be here ranting and raving about irrelevant crap. Really, man? About the have and have nots? Can and cannots? Are you still talking about Thief 4, or have you segued into talking about Slumdog Millionaire without bothering to inform the reader? Before worrying about the splinter in my eye, try doing something about the plank in yours.

Edit: Come to think of it, closed-minded is actually a pretty accurate description of you.

Edited by Xarg
  • Like 3

@jtr - What was the "March 5" news?

Not sure why you left TTLG - the place is full of people with every opinion in the spectrum - diehard traditionalists like yourself, new young punks who think the old guard it just a bunch of crusty old fools, and a whole lot of stuff in between those two. So if that place is no good, and either is this place (I assume the official boards are way out of consideration) - what is it exactly that you're looking for? I'm curious to know.

Edited by brethren

By choice. I'm not happy with the temp-"Taking a Break" BS. I wanted that door shut. The archives are my favorite corner of that URL, and I have been using the Wayback Machine for Thief-TheCircle for years due to the neglect. I was ready to leave and just working up to it over a year ago, then the March 5 news came. I'm just about done here, too. There really is no English site for Thief fans to have fun discussing Thief anymore.

What fun? You bitch and moan and complain, I see 0 fun in your posts.

• Like 4

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

If what you're after is a discussion jtr7, it might help if you a. post new thoughts as seperate posts instead of editing them into previous posts - it's annoying as hell to read and is probably contributing to people not knowing what you're talking about, and b. stop being so condescending towards people who don't share your opinion that Teef not being a clone of the originals is the end of life as we know it, it really isn't that important in the greater scheme of things.

It's annoying to converse with you because while I share many of your thoughts about what they've done with/to T4, not only does having to scroll back up repeatedly to see if you've put any replies before or after things people have said make any conversation take more effort than it should have to, but you seem to be taking it far too seriously, as if it was the only reason you get up in the morning. Finally, there's already a thread for that discussion, there was no need to bring it here. This thread isn't your personal pity party.

• Like 1

I query the safe, usually to open a safe, you set the dials to zero before entering the correct combination, as zero resets the mechanics inside each dial.

I have to contest this one though, I have a safe at home, and doesn't need resetting. Though, it doesn't rely on numbers but letters, a key and a valve-like wheel to finally turn the locks open.

What I did notice was that the safe in thief doesn't have a handle of any kind. I have to wonder how does garret manage to pull such a supposedly heavy door open, supposedly by fitting his nails in the thin gap.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

@Xarg, people have different views on the game, and whether a thread is intended for a positive view is always going to be kind of irrelevant to what comes of it. Especially when pertaining a game that bears some controversy and whole-hearted franchise fans around it.

I certainly didn't intend to bring that positive attitude down, in fact I'd love to be able to have a positive view on this game in particular, more than most others, but despite all my efforts I unfortunately found, so far, no good reason to feel positive about it.

If a negative view bothers you there's not much that can be done about it. Given what I've seen and read of the game, positive views bother me and I'm not whinning about it. I'm open to receiving reasons to change my mind both ways.

There was once a thread on steam about DNF, intended to be addressed only by people who were positive about the game. Do you know how it turned out? It became a shallow (and hollow) praise fest with little thought in it, where everyone presented their blatant and unsubstantiated bias, and as soon as someone came with a constructive criticism they stoned him out of there. It became a thread populated by the close-minded part of the community.

That's not what I call a discussion thread, and much less a productive one, and much less one that should even exist. By all means be positive about what you feel positive about, but try to understand that not everyone will agree with you, and the same way you may be annoyed by some level of negativity, so too will someone be annoyed by some level of positivity. We can still, hopefully, discuss things like adults, regardless.

Maybe the door is spring loaded! :laugh:

Conveniently. :)

Edited by Skaruts

Thanks for being mature about it, I realise and fully support people having a negative view on this game. All I'm trying to say is, we already have a 66 page thread in which to be negative about this game, and Springheel started a new one, "a new way of looking at Thief 4". There's already a thread in which people who want to be negative about the game can be. If every time someone who comes here and is excited about Teef Fo, are we going to let the usual suspects come flying in like carrion birds to scare them away? If said hypothetical new person wants to be negative about T4, we already have a long and healthy thread in which to do that.

On the same note, how can only "allowing" negativity about this game be called any more a discussion, than your positive thread example? For a while there it looked like Viktoria almost got chased out of the forum with torches and pitchforks for daring to not "toe the line" about how to think about the game. It's not the negative view that bothers me. It's the lunatic behaviour of its strongest proponents, trawling the board to root out anyone who thinks different to them. This thread is an example, there's pretty much a sit in going on. A few people tried being positive in the Thief 4 is trash thread, and look where it got them.

I'm perfectly happy if, need be, we end up with 3 threads about Thiaf. The positive thread and the negative thread where people can vent or whatever, and the neutral thread were things are actually discussed. I don't expect just about anyone to agree with me, really, I'm just stating my opinions on the matter. I'm trying to stay informed on how this game is shaping up, and it seems any major discussion of it is being hijacked, hence why I've broken my silence on the matter.

One final note, the word "fan" derives from fanatic, and 2 synonyms for fanatic are bigot, and militant. I'd be wary of calling other people fans (though I know how you mean to use it, just sayin'). After I found that out, I pretty much stopped calling myself a fan of anything, I'm not that emotionally involved. Just food for thought.

I didn't say anything about only allowing negativity being a good thing either. The reason why I chose to participate more on this thread than the other is that I don't want to participate in any thread that is one-sided and close-minded, be it positive or negative in its intentions. The intentions are irrelevant to me, the discussion is what I'm interested in, and I want to hear everyone. There's lunatic views on both sides, every time. As long as people aren't just saying "This sucks!!1" or "This rules!!1", I'm ok with anything.

And don't take the origins of a word at face value. Their meanings tend to change.

fan

noun

an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc.

Edited by Skaruts

[nitpick]That's the informal meaning, the meaning I posted is the formal meaning. It still derives from fanatic.[/nitpick]

Yeah, I'm fully with you on that, what I'm getting at is, certain members seem to have decided that we aren't going to conduct the discussion in that manner, and I believe that is quite firmly evidenced by their behaviour, this thread as an example. If I was new, and I was coming here to try and discuss the game, and this was happening to me, I'd either reconsider bothering, as nothing is being done about from a moderation level (and nothing should be done, no rules are being broken), and not much is being done on an inter-personal level. Thankfully I'm not new, and don't give a shit about that person's opinion.

I didn't say anything about only allowing negativity being a good thing either. The reason why I chose to participate more on this thread than the other is that I don't want to participate in any thread that is one-sided and close-minded, be it positive or negative in its intentions. The intentions are irrelevant to me, the discussion is what I'm interested in, and I want to hear everyone. There's lunatic views on both sides, every time. As long as people aren't just saying "This sucks!!1" or "This rules!!1", I'm ok with anything.

Arbitrary positivity, in the context of a discussion thread, is just as stiffing to thoughtful discourse as its negative counterpart...and attempting in vain to contrive a positive or negative thread, will only lead to unnecessary strife and conflict, due to the unnaturally inflexible mental construct.

The beauty lies within the natural process of open-minded discovery.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 1

So pay the $50 for the game, play through the entire thing and enjoy the process of discovery. With no hard evidence, everything is just speculation. There is no discovery, only speculation and personal opinion based off of incomplete information.

• Like 1

With no hard evidence, everything is just speculation. There is no discovery, only speculation and personal opinion based off of incomplete information.

What you say is untrue...and is an example of ignorance ruling one's conclusions.

There has been ample information, providing plenty of hard evidence for certain critical factors...

1) We already know the continuity of the THIEF Universe has been broken, which breaks the lore and cosmology into two separate universes...This in itself, is naturally heart-breaking to many fans, irrespective of the gameplay.

2) The gameplay uses a contextual-centric design approach (restricting granular freedom) and automation (restricting player control)...which will diminish organic exploration and emergent gameplay.

3) The stealth system, has been reduced to a crude version...without any granular visual feedback system, and without any substantial sonic feedback system...which will diminish intimacy and tension.

Edited by Vae

I am not close minded but thank you for the compliment, Vae...

Unsubstantiated evidence you mean. You have not just proven me wrong.

Or should I just say, "You're right! You're right!" and pat you on the back?

Hmm... what's my next move... how to argue my meaningless opinion in a way that offends others... maybe it is me that isn't happy and I shall spread that distaste to others... hmm...what to do. :blink:

Edited by Lux