The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Elite City

Garreth

I was just curious, since you said you were moving house and couldn't make any changes to the mission until you had. An awful lot of things were pulled up so if you fixed them that quickly I'd love some tips.

Link's got restricted access anyway.

Edited by Airship Ballet

So.. how did the beta test go? has everything been fixed with the mission?

• Like 1

It appears this beta test went similarly to how the previous two aborted tests went...so I'll leave it to others, as the expression goes, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

Edited by RJFerret
  • Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

It appears this beta test went similarly to how the previous two aborted tests went...so I'll leave it to others, as the expression goes, "fool me one, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

My favorite rendition of that saying! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmjqlOPd6A

• Like 2

The behaviour being demonstrated in this thread is not cool.

I'm hoping some of this can be chalked up to language issues. But no one has the right to harass or insult other members of this forum, regardless of whether you sprinkle it with smiley faces or not. People who can't deal with that should seriously consider whether this is the community for them.

I also don't want to see any intentional baiting.

Comments in this thread should be limited to discussing the mission from this point on.

• Like 3

I just went to record a playthrough video for the page and I can't finish it. I found all the loot available, which is 900, out of a possible 2800. Some of the loot is working but the rest seems to have become matte cubes. There's a pile of them in the room before the tunnel that are supposed to be stones according to a nearby readable.

The behaviour being demonstrated in this thread is not cool.

I'm hoping some of this can be chalked up to language issues. But no one has the right to harass or insult other members of this forum, regardless of whether you sprinkle it with smiley faces or not. People who can't deal with that should seriously consider whether this is the community for them.

I also don't want to see any intentional baiting.

Comments in this thread should be limited to discussing the mission from this point on.

For real!

This guy made a map! It was pretty playable when he released it himself. Now that it's gone through beta it seems we're having problems with the map. Personally, I don't think it was ready to leave beta.

But the important part is Garreth is contributing. If he can learn to keep his cool and his ego in check, he can learn some and add to the community with fan missions. And that is more than myself and a lot of us are capable of (whether reasons of time, knowledge, etc.). Some people have said that he's got some really cool ideas with this map, that's great! I'd like to see it completed, people more supportive (because it takes a lot of work to do a FM), and being the bigger person and just ignoring his wild claims and just helping him to become a better mapper.

He's got the hard part down of making the map, now it just needs to be smoothed out. If Garreth learns from his actions, he can finish this map, and it will be something cool! I haven't seen any other new FM's lately besides "Home Again". It would be great if he could get the encouragement to finish this right, and that way give him desire to make another mission. We are ALWAYS in need of MORE fan missions!!!!!

Garreth, I'd recommend you take this mission back to beta. There's plenty of nonjudgmental people who will only try to help. I mean you had BOTH Grayman and Bikerdude helping you out!!! They are GODS of TDM mapping skills. I can understand you are excited and want to release your mission, but for the sake of first impressions, please wait till it gets the okay from the beta testers. That's what they're here for, to help!

being the bigger person and just ignoring his wild claims and just helping him to become a better mapper.

Hey, woah, no. I'm all for FMs getting released and know first-hand how time-consuming mapping for anything is, but don't defend the guy for being a complete ass. He started up this PM (screenshots start from the first message) after I took a couple of minutes to check out the credits of productions he claimed to be a part of. Beyond a certain point I just don't care who he says he is but initially his attitude when making those claims was awful and the bluff was easy to call. Beyond that, no condemnation or argument, so I was pretty disappointed when he started flaming me by PM.

6YyjO.png

6Yype.jpg

I look past it and the first thing he does is go full sexist again. When I insist on being decent he behaves himself to a degree before abandoning the project at the first sign of issue and blaming other people for it. Through beta testing he barely changed a thing after people went to the effort of listing all its problems. Now it's playable and decent but he's ignored advice and wasted people's time. Half the people who tested it for him have given up and wished him the best.

He's had tons of support and run his mouth all over the place in the process so please don't just make out people who took issue with his radical claims to fame as assholes who want his map to crash and burn. Everybody wants it finished despite his rotten attitude but it's pretty damn difficult with the level of cooperation he's shown.

Follow your own advice and leave the thread be, I guess until he either comes back to fix it or it gets buried.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Now that it's gone through beta it seems we're having problems with the map. Personally, I don't think it was ready to leave beta.

To be mission specific, it hasn't "gone through" beta yet, at no point has any tester posted that it's ready for release. There have been three attempts at testing. The first saw one significant change, some degradations, and brought it up to the point of really being ready for beta test. Other input from testers was ignored, and nobody suggested it was ready for release.

Then it was posted again, where some people were finally able to actually run it to provide feedback, which was ignored, and folks suggested it was not ready for release yet. This is when others offered to test, as those who had been burned testing previously were not as interested in attempting to contribute a third time (in my case, particularly seeing how others of our community were being treated).

A greater amount of testing effort and time was expended by even more people, until the point it was realized the same thing was happening again, and here we are, nobody has suggested it's ready for release, but there's no benefit for others to expend their time generating testing info that will be disrespected, regardless of what creativity may be expressed were the mission fixed.

A loss of potential is not really a loss at all, if the potential was never going to be realized, as anyone with investments knows. However a loss of time spent that could be applied in areas it would have a positive result? That's significant. I would not suggest encouraging this see a fourth round of what ends up being further pointless testing, particularly by people who have other mapping/development endeavors in the works, that are delayed or compromised by wasting attention on this.

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I'm not sure which part of this was difficult to understand.

And for the record, contributing maps or anything else doesn't give anyone the right to be a jerk.

• Like 4