The Dark Mod Forums

Builder's Bedroom set

XendroX

I think that right place for my topics is here ))

Ok let's start gathering info for creating good furniture set in this direction

Item list:

1. Bed

At first time it should be 2 type of bed with different skins, one type high rank priests , second - common builders.

2. Table

I think it should be one geometry with different textures

3. Chair

Chair for high priests only, with straight forms, no comfort.

4. Stool

Stool for common builders

5. Comode

One geometry with different skins

6. Wardrobe

Only for high priests, common builders haven't such things to have their own wardrobe,imho

7. Bookshelf

Only for priests

8. Bed-side table

Different for these to classes

9. Cabinet

Tell me your opinion, should it be or not for high priests?

Know lets define number of skins and their contents

High priests:

1. Old forgeted skin

2. Bronze detailed skin

3. Gold detailed skin

Common

1. Same old skin

2. Good one, cheap looking skin

Today I'll not open Lightwave principally... Want rest from it for one day %)

I write this to share my minds with you and to know yours thoughts about this...

I think that determining correct task make process of creation for me simplified

I'm not sure you need to make regular furniture specifically for Builders...their everyday stools and bookshelves aren't going to look so different that they need their own models. Ornate things are a different matter. The important thing is to make things that blend in well with our existing models, which is why re-using textures (or parts of textures) is desirable.

I don't know...they look a bit modern to me. Especially the beds and the shelves would look right at home in a modern garage.

I much prefer the original bed with the hammer motif you showed.

To me, Builder furniture would look more like this, except with hammer/gear symbols, and metal.

http://www.artisanso...thicdesk1_l.jpg

http://rarevictorian...vival-chair.jpg

http://www.mbwfurniture.com/images/MBWJB070-B.jpg

http://www.artefacts.ca/images/Custom/Shelves/Gothic%20Shelf_1.jpg

Take a look at our Builder chest for an example of what's already in-game:

post-9-0-77651200-1392471300_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Different visions, I looked at this like ascetic religion without pathetic. Now try look at this in another way...

After half hour of thinking...

And still can't agree with you... Maybe can make some vote to see what is prefered?...

Bed and table I posted earlier, was simple with symblolysm, not complicated, "hard", impressive look... (I don't sure that correctly expressed my minds)

Edited by XendroX

Different visions, I looked at this like ascetic religion without pathetic. Now try look at this in another way...

The church isn't ascetic at all. It's quite ostentatious, actually. The entire religion is built around showing off your skill at building. That doesn't mean everything they have is going to be highly ornate, but the things that aren't ornate are going to look the same as everyone else's.

XendroX, how about you re-label this furniture as belonging to the Inventor's Guild? I absolutely can see some of those crazies with that kind of chairs and tables. I agree with the others that the furniture is out of character WRT the Builders.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

how about you re-label this furniture as belonging to the Inventor's Guild?

. Inventors aren't furniture-makers...why would their furniture look different from anyone else's?

I'll try to introduce my analyse for builder's religion...

I found why I have such concept in my mind for the entire furnishing of builders

This bench for some reasons have been remebered by me very well )))

Other pictures I added to show you how this theme was showen in old versions of series.

We can see symbolic, like hammers, statues with hammers, and gobelins. But we know that we were at the Builder's apartment because there was lot of symbolic stuff in every step

1ad99cb88f65.jpg

Then I run through few missions in mod and gathered next shots

ef4510441824.jpg

24f73630a271.jpg

Looking at them, I see that in your mod symbolic has been represented in same way. But no one of this entire have complex look, they looking like groups of unlinked objects, neither similar by style nor by color.... And when I came to this rooms I don't believe you that this is builders high rank apartments... %(( Maybe some followers from common people no more...

Next I post to you one shot from TDS

3eb7ed621cac.jpg

I don't spend time to search for some similar apartment, by this shot I want to show how harmony colors\style are presented..

I make some stupid thing, create small replica of room from St.Lucia and placed there my objects with textures from mod to show you difference in attitude to the apartments... Not for convincing you to my thoughts, just to direct your minds with mine %)...

7d00b32fe3ce.jpg

Having apartments looking like this, you have no daubt who lives here and what you are looking for if you have such objectives...

About Sprinheel refs - What for main symbol of Builders is Hammer with Gear if they haven't anything hard-technoligical in there lives? Like I see, the metal works are more complicated then wooden, and that's why Builders can stay powerfull religion in society. Their Knowledge in metal and working with metal, because magic aspect was downed, like I understand. And you try to make them the same as usual citizens... And refs, for me, make them looks to similar with our Christianity than some fantasy world..

That's my vision...

I'd like that no one thinking bad in my side, because I don't want to harm anybody %))

It's converstaion - "Truth is out of there"...

Edited by XendroX

Looking at them, I see that in your mod symbolic has been represented in same way. But no one of this entire have complex look, they looking like groups of unlinked objects, neither similar by style nor by color.... And when I came to this rooms I don't believe you that this is builders high rank apartments... %(( Maybe some followers from common people no more...

Mappers are limited by the models we had available at the time they made their maps, so having varied styles is to be expected. There is also a limited number of ornate furniture models to choose from. (Also, only one of those maps you reference above is actually a Builder building, and it is not supposed to be a a "high rank apartment". It's a very poor, run-down church).

That said, having a set of furniture that is full of Builder symbols would be great. That's I why I liked the original bed you posted.

About Sprinheel refs - What for main symbol of Builders is Hammer with Gear if they haven't anything hard-technoligical in there lives? Like I see, the metal works are more complicated then wooden,

Yes, Builders do work metal, and it would make sense for their furniture to have lots of metal parts or metal accents, like the chest I posted. My problem with your model sketches wasn't that they had metal parts, it was that they looked like modern, metal-frame furniture. They remind me of this:

http://img.auctiva.c...591979140_o.jpg

And you try to make them the same as usual citizens... And refs, for me, make them looks to similar with our Christianity than some fantasy world..

They are supposed to be similar with Christianity. The Builders are a caricature of gothic Catholicism.

that's why Builders can stay powerfull religion in society.

They're powerful because they're the state religion of the empire, and because they're fabulously wealthy, and because they tend to deal mercilessly with any competition, just like the Catholic church in our history.

The problem for me is that the furniture looks very much like things I would find in our current time period which is a total immersion killer when TDM is in a completely different time period.

steelbed_zps14690bb6.jpg

The bed looks similar to those steel frame beds that are very common in Ikea

8c2f_35JPGset_id800005007_zps73e6321e.jpg

IMO those shelves would fit in perfectly in a modern day office.

If you want to go for a steam punk look then that might work. While this does mean that furniture would have a modern look, it would be modern from the perspective of Victorians and not really what we would consider modern by today's standards.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

And try assemble to this hardened, full of small elements, bed Builder's symbolic... No way

I find more acceptable variants

This one, like standalone bed for low ceiling rooms

It has wright places were to put symbolic and it still will be lloking in harmony with bed style

7815.141815.jpg

And else one, for the same reason.

Gothic-canopy-bed-2.jpg

Edited by XendroX