The Dark Mod Forums

Builder's Bedroom set

XendroX

I think It's done.

http://www.ex.ua/148951471977

Test and tell what could be redone.

2d31d9b3ab87.png

Next step - done with other bed, with hammer in headboard %)

Looks amazing!

That is some amazing art. I can already imagine it in a dark gothic chruch in a mysterious night.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I'm not sure what's going on with the textures, but the normalmaps are very pixelated when I load them:

(at 200% size)

post-9-0-40689700-1412532096.jpg

It's really causing the textures to look pretty bad in game when you get close to them:

post-9-0-14132000-1412532564_thumb.jpg

@Springheel - If you not demand,I can render it in better resolution. Remember half-year ago expirience, I decide to done it in 512x512

Pixelisation shown by you on screen happens because of half-size of specular map. To avoid this I have to make bigger specular maps, or remake UV map's for models

Edited by XendroX

Pixelisation shown by you on screen happens because of half-size of specular map. To avoid this I have to make bigger specular maps, or remake UV map's for models

I resize normalmaps frequently and never notice that kind of problem. What software are you using to resize them?

I looked at the most recent images, but the problem is still there (image 1) When you see it full-size you can see there's a lot of jagged edges. It looks like there's no AA, but it's actually caused by the normalmap. Also, there is something strange going on with the bedding itself...the cover looks a bit odd, with dark lines criss-crossing it, and the pillow is oddly bright and blocky (image 2).

post-9-0-59644500-1412641089_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-12320900-1412641105_thumb.jpg

Generally only team members get access to the developer build, although there's not a lot of difference. What specifically do you need?

I've read another topic and found about developer build. Think that in that way maps'll load faster, to not to wait about 30-60 sec for each test load. That's all)

There isn't any dev build that will load maps faster. But if all you have done is changed some textures or models, try these console commands instead of restarting TDM or the map:

reloadDecls

reloadModels

I don't think you have to update any pk4s to test new stuff either. You can unzip the pk4 so you can amend individual files, and TDM won't mind using the unzipped versions.

Btw, I don't think this is causing the problems I mentioned, but the bed has a 4-side poly and several 2-sided ones...TDM needs all polys to be 3 sided.

Another problem is that the bed seems to reference seven different materials. I haven't looked at all of them, but the ones I did look at were all 512x512 or larger...that's a HUGE number of custom textures being loaded for a single model. Most prop models probably call no more than 3, and those are default textures being re-used by other objects.

The max resolution would be 1024x1024. You want to re-use textures whenever possible--most wooden areas can reuse the same texture, for example.

On what graphic options I should orient?

Not sure what this means.

Excellent work! Juts two tips mostly about things I didn't like much...

First is the gold color. It seems "too" clean. Too superficial. Generally gold is not so shiny... Not sure if it's a problem on the diffuse texture (in which case blur it a bit) or on the specular map (in which case tone down the whites a bit) or if it is intentionally so shiny, in which case it's up to you.

Second thing I didn't like much is the cushion. If you use max or maya I could help you make it look more "realistic" if you want. If you use blender I have no friggin' idea. It's WAY too low poly and you can clearly see the edges. With two planes and some cloth dynamics you get extremelly realistic results for a cushion. The polycount will probably be at 500ish polygons tho' and I'm not sure if using 500 polys for a cushion worths it but it sure will look on par with the rest of your models.

PS. The bed cover you're using is a custom texture? Or you use a TDM texture? If it's custom try increasing the resolution a bit.

EDIT: When I say about the gold I mean how it looks on gold models like the faith symbol or the hammer on the second bed. Not the painted one on the bed. Also... How about NOT painting the faith symbol on bed but instead attach the model there like it's etched on the bed?

Edited by Atheran

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

Pillow was untoched since spring 2014 %) Bed cover I use custom not-mine texture founded in internet. I want to find tdm texture and model for this both positions. Gold... I like polished shiny gold, that's what kind of gold prefered to me %))

Thanks for your comment.

I planned, how I said higher, to make corrections on weekend, because there is a chance that I should make new UV maps for some of the models

About help - I think would be great to male some modeller's group in community, where every member can have access to work models and fix some issues