• Having Tapatalk enabled
  3. 3. Select the ideas you don't like/don't think should be implemented

• Having a centred and responsive site
    • Having the News page as the main page
    • Having the Mod info in a panel on all the main pages
    • Combining the Download sections
    • Having a mobile version of the site
    • Having Tapatalk enabled

So my last poll was rubbish. I didn't quite get how limited it was. So this is the redux version which should allow you to express yourselves a bit better. You have to choose one thing in each category (like, don't care, dislike) but it seems that's the only choices we have.

I should clarify some things.

5. Mobile site - if you have a proper responsive site you don't actually need this as the site will work on mobile anyway. And I' told some people DL mods and mission on their phones so this would have all the features of the full site.

6. Tapatalk - this does not affect the site for people who don't want to use it. It is ONLY for people who have and want to use Tapatalk for forum access. It's really easy to set up, doesn't affect the forum at all (if you don't have Tapatalk you'll never know about it - TTLG forums have it enabled. Go have a look. You can't tell.).

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Sweet, nice, thanks for the extra effort to set it up. (Note, it's technically possible to vote both for and against something, so if folks don't intend to do that, please watch out for it.)

6. Tapatalk - this does not affect the site for people who don't want to use it. It is ONLY for people who have and want to use Tapatalk for forum access. It's really easy to set up, doesn't affect the forum at all (if you don't have Tapatalk you'll never know about it - TTLG forums have it enabled. Go have a look. You can't tell.).

FYI ,this runs contrary to what the company says in their FAQ:

Q: Why a pop-up is shown in my mobile browser?

A: After you installed Tapatalk, a one-time alert will be shown to mobile web users to notify the Tapatalk option.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I don't think that making the News page is of much interest, especially for players who do not even know TDM yet.

They would read about 'improvements' without really knowing about the game itself.

So, the News page wouldn't be a good replacement, because it is basicly Text-Only as well, except for a few AI-detail-studies, which do not tell me all that much about the game.

And with about 1 post per year, or 2 maybe, it wouldn't be all that exiting anyway.

Experienced TDM fans can still bookmark whatever page they prefer.

What the Main page really needs are some eye-catching screenshots. That's what would create interest fot potential new players.

The current version is text-only, and many people won't even read it.

I like the current Main page 'in general' because it is quite informative and short. Up to the point, so to speak.

How about adding a slideshow which blends in the images from the Media page?

Cheap trick, I know, but it would be nice to watch and would not clutter that page overly much.

Well, adding 2 static beatiful screenshots on top would not hurt, though.

Don't see a reason to duplicate the content of the Main page to other pages.

Just creates useless redundancy and additional maintaince.

Edit: I never read the News or the info on the Main page except for the headline and maybe 1 or 2 outstanding bullets in the text.

So, at least for me it wouldn't help to catch my interest on TDM at all.

Let images speak!

Edited by gnartsch

Poll is flawed yet again:

[#10355] You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

I didn't select any for "don't like", so I just picked "mod info panel" for that one as well as "indifferent".

About combining the download pages... there is a lot of info on the main downloads page that might not make the cut to the combined page. Clearly what you want is a vertical layout, not columns, since the majority of the page will be focused on mission downloads. We should make a few versions of the combined download page to see how we can convey all or most of the information. If you need any help PM me.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

US Residents only!

Sadly I wasn't born in the nation of the free so no deep fried shotguns for me :( .... or Thief modding competition entry slips :(

Square Enix and Amazon, in collaboration with a host of gaming partners including AMD and the team behind The Dark Mod, today announced the ultimate THIEF mod contest in celebration of the upcoming reboot to THIEF.

dafuq...?! is there something the team has been holding back that they might like to talk about right about now?

ok some of this has to be bullshit. according to ttlg, EM have been racing around the internet to remove all traces of the word Dark Mod from the contest announcement pages. I have a feeling there will not be any official canon Thief material allowed on TDM yet, nor official recognition of the mods existence by EM. maybe it was a prank?

edit: its gotta be a scam. theres no way nobody in the TDM community has heard about this before now if TDM team was ever involved at any level of this thing. And the whole "trade your email adress + full name for FREE VIDEO GAEMEZZZ" thing? come the fuck on.

Edited by ungoliant

FYI ,this runs contrary to what the company says in their FAQ:

You get one pop-up, the first time you use a mobile to go to the forum. It doesn't affect the forum in any other way. You seem very resistant to this idea. Is there some other concern you have?

Ok, this is what a responsive site looks like. Have a look on a big screen.

If you have a smartphone I suggest you look at it on that too, and also on any tablets or small screen devices you have. Rotate the screen and see what happens, especially if you have something like a Nexus 7.

Only the News and the Downloads sections work. All links are dummy links.

So - some caveats.

1. This in not my final suggested template.
  2. This is to show you what a difference in approach can make.
  3. I haven't used all the graphics on the current site (and the onclick images on the main menu are all broken btw).
  4. I built this with my own templating system. thedarkmod.com is built on Wordpress which has respsonsive templates. I'm not suggesting using my templates, but rather just using a responsive template from Wordpress.

Tell me what you think.

Here is the link: http://www.southquar...mweb/index.html

The front page is text only- Not very inviting to explore and get a quick idea what TDM looks like.

A revolving tiny little 100x80 pixel image won't do the trick.

I am still not convinced that combining MOD & Mission downloads does any good.

Too crowded and as jaxa pointed out, too little space for the missions.

(In my mind a couple of additional columns would be nice as well:

- link to the mission thread (!)

- date of last update)

I think both should have their own page - and each might have a quick link to the other one for fast & intuitive navigation.

I'm going to re-iterate what gnartsch and co. stated: I don't don't really see the point of combining the game download with the mission downloads. It's just too much, regardless of how the panels are implemented.

In terms of the front page, I think it would be possible to make it work by moving the media to just above the news column (without the "Media" title) and extending the news column to consume the media column. That way, we have the TDM description right next to good screenshots / concept art as the first thing people see when they visit the site. There should still be a separate news page to allow regulars to go straight to the new stuff from a bookmark.

Sent from my GT>9000 using Tapatalkwololol (I think this is reason enough)

I am the bat. The night is mine.

You know you can turn that Tapatalk sig off, right?

Anyway, that's what I think the site should be like. even if it's just centering the current version that would be much better. On a 1080p monitor the full right half of the screen is black at present.