The Dark Mod Forums

Stealth - Games

vvGarrettvv

You can play dishonored

, as opposed to AC, where you just can't. The game never lets you have your way with stealth, since whenever you get close to your objective it forces you to reveal yourself.

For some reason the game still doesn't seem very interesting to me... <_<

• Like 1

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

has an fully developed stealth system - even rope arrows are there, and not just for decoration.

If you invest experience points in the "thief"-tree you stay relatively weak but can outsneak almost all enemies.

There is even a credit to the original Thief games in form of a "G" in the collar of the best armor set for stealth.

You can steal and pickpocket.

A lot of enemies must be killed to advance, though - but you can also do this by backstabbing, you do not to have to "fight" most enemies.

I highly recommend this game to anyone of you, for it is generally of very high quality, replayability and even rewards clever thinking and observation here and there.

• Like 2

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

@outlooker: yes. i forget DMMoM&M. It is great. Bought it weeks ago on steam.

PLayed it years ago on my XBX360. The Thief-influences are strong. I really do like it.

skaruts: Dishonored is somehow a stealth-game, but not consequent. The fast moves ( the same

as they will be available in Thi4f ) are overpowered like the rest of the players magic powers.

It is easier and so more rewarding to kill the guards. I make my best avoiding killing

somebody. But I failed. If you let the uncoscios people be left on the floor, rats came and eat them. That sucks-a-lot .

It Is "killing-superpowers-leed-thief 2.0".

I played it on highest difficulty with no powers enabled ( but the fast-move was unavoidable :-/ )

It was somehow enjoyable, but I will not play it again.

Edited by vvGarrettvv

Woah, hadn't heard of Alien: Isolation until now. I love the original Alien movies and I have some very fond memories playing AvP2 (specifically the multiplayer, what a blast that was). Thanks for bringing my attention to it (even if it may end up being a somewhat crippled experience as a result of the console focus).

• Like 1

You missed the link I provided.

nope. I didn`t. ( I played it that way. I avoided pimping up the superpowers; Only stunned the guards and mission-targets.)

The only power u got, is the fast-move-parcour-moves. It`s nearly impossible to use it not.

I want to play it "thief-style":slowpaced, total stealthy, without weapons.

But what really sucks @ Dishonored is, that there`s no real darkness: Developers comment: "If we would have made it too dark, you didn`t seen the nice

scenario." Why is TDM looking nice? Even if it`s sometimes dark like beeing head forward in a bears arse? This project shows, thats possible making a f+++++g awesome looking game with more

darkness than the bronx would have during a complete power-outage :laugh: . [ And that with an engine 10 years old :excl: ]

And I want it exactly that way. I need darkness for stealthy gameplay. I feel more comfortable there like I does in the shade of grey in DH.

And many of the Dishonored-design-decisions we will possibly see again in Thi4f. <_<

Thx to BD I payed only 19,-bucks, not ~70,- :ph34r:

Edited by vvGarrettvv

You can play dishonored

, as opposed to AC, where you just can't. The game never lets you have your way with stealth, since whenever you get close to your objective it forces you to reveal yourself.

For some reason the game still doesn't seem very interesting to me... <_<

There are a lot of ways of anonymously assassinating your targets, mostly in the first game. The thing however, is, as Altaïr puts it: "A good assassin makes sure his work is noticed by the many." They need for people to know that the assassins got to the target. That is their thing, their signature move (in real life their signature move was to kill and then promptly get killed, but that obviously doesn't work well). It's possible for most targets to get close to him and only reveal yourself once your blade is deep down his throat, but the escape and tense return to the Bureau that follows is absolutely essential to the game. It just wouldn't make sense if you wouldn't reveal yourself.

Assassin's Creed (especially the first) is a fantastic game, if you know how to play it (turn the minimap off). But it is not a stealth experience in the classic sense of the phrase, nor does it try to be. It's related, but different.

Sadly, after Patrice Desilets left, the series went to shit, to the point where AC4 is a game about pirating (I like AC4: it has some good design ideas, and Ashraf Ismail did a great job of producing something coherent and fun, but it's just not an assassin's creed game).

Edited by 161803398874989

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

The Death To Spies series (two games currently), it's like Hitman in WW2 (and a lot less polished, I still really like it though).

Speaking of WW2: The Commandos series, it's more of a tactics game, but it's focused around stealth (the last one was actually first person, but featured quite a few action sequences as well. I still had quite a bit of fun with it).

Similary to Commandos, there were quite a few similar games, mostly made by Wanadoo, that employed a similar game mechanic. They're not pure stealth, but still rely on it:

Robin Hood, Desperados, and Chicago 1930, probably some more.

There are also Shinobido and Prosoner of War for PS2 that I found quite enjoyable.

76561198061377149.png

Robin Hood, Desperados, and Chicago 1930, probably some more.

There's this ridiculously nostalgic Army Men game that everybody I've ever mentioned it to played like crazy and forgot all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4uMm91GmNc

• 5 months later...

Is anyone here interested in Alien: Isolation?

It's a first person survival game that draws heavily from the first Alien movie. You're trapped on a space station with an alien onboard and no means to defend yourself.

Judging by this gameplay

it looks like a great stealth game.

The alien patrols randomly and can turn up anywhere, anytime. The environment looks fantastic and seems to be open and nonlinear. You have a couple of nonlethal tools at your disposal: a hacking device to open doors, flares to distract the alien etc. Even sound seems to be important.

I'm looking forward to this.

I'm looking forward to this, too. Hope it will get nearly as good as it seems now. It definetely has some potential.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Judging by this gameplay

it looks like a great stealth game.

Possibly, but I guess you will only be able to use stealth to avoid the Alien and not to fight it, like in almost all other games listed here. Also from my remembrance of the AvP games, I don't understand how stealth should work against Aliens, as they don't have eyes and hunt their victims with other more powerful senses.

BTW, I noticed that Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines hasn't been mentioned here yet. You can play that quite stealthily except for bosses or other vampires that again have supernatural disciplines to detect you. In fact stealth was really overpowered in the original game, but is toned down a bit with the Unofficial Patch.

Edited by wesp5

I think there's only one alien so you can't kill it (before the end of the game). But that sounds good to me as long as you have enough options to deal with it (escaping, hiding, maybe defensive weapons).

How do aliens perceive? From the video it seems that it can hear you and you can hide behind stuff.

• 2 months later...

A game called Styx: Master of Shadows came out about a month ago, I've been wanting to check it out. Supposed to be somewhat similar to Thief, as far as old school stealth games go (although it is in third person). It's currently on sale on Steam for 20 bucks for the next day and a half or so. I picked it up, I'll offer a few comments back here once I've had a chance to play it for a bit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242640/

• 1 month later...

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is out on Steam (currently 33% off). It's an excellent stealth sandbox experience. Even as someone who doesn't particularly care for the series, Ground Zeroes is a must-play for

people who love games that support experimentation and give the player the freedom to recover from failure in a controlled environment. The port is absolutely stellar. I have a crappy i3-2100 and it runs on high at 40-60 fps.