The Dark Mod Forums

Square Enix and Amazon.com announce Thief Mod Contest

Springheel

Wow, that top 5. Not sure I have words to describe, because "...what a joke" don't go far enough.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Right...and they only used the tools at TTLG and TDM to reach their intended audience.

Like I said before, ironically, they never had any intention to "community build" with the Classic Thief Community at TTLG and TDM...only to use us as a means to reach out to the "Tomb Raider Kid".

Edited by Vae

I've got nothing against kids being starry eyed and wishing for cool things. What could be more normal?

But I've got something about the backhanded compliments of cynical adults who say the equivalent of "See, little Timmy? You are as good as that guy who did the HD texture mod." Even a kid can spot the lie, and see it for an insult. The correct thing to say would be "And one day, you can even make something as cool as that - the only thing you need will be a computer, and your creativity!"

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Also, why is that video of the HD mod so blurry? Some kind of mixup, or deliberate hatchet job? Do the Illuminati want us to think old games look like crap? <_<

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Given the look of that top 10, I was getting the impression they were trying to shape the narrative as "only mods that do little more than cosmetic changes are good, so don't bother making the next MW:LL or TDM or CS, no-one will like them and baby Jesus will cry". I mean, what TRKid suggested has already been done in a fashion, it's called the Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light: Raziel and Kain character pack.

"And one day, you can even make something as cool as that - the only thing you need will be a computer, and your creativity!"

And the ability to learn and use software, and the ability to NOT click every link for every piece of "OptiMIZE yOUr PC NOW!" garbagewear, and the ability to UNCHECK boxes for adware and browser extensions on installers.

Kids are the absolute worst at some of these. Click click click next next next next DONE! YAY! Mine installed faster than yours!

One of my boss's recently brought his kids computer in (that we had 2 weeks prior reinstalled windows on) saying that it was acting weird... 43 infected files and 5 infected programs later he is back up and running. I really appreciate as a fellow PC gamer to this kid that he had Cheatengine.exe installed... I was thinking about policying his account to block downloads completely with admin (his dad) approval because I'm certain in another 2 weeks he's going to be complaining about it again.

That TRKid... wide eyed and bushy tailed? Maybe wide eyed but certainly nOt bushy tailed and honestly its completely unbelievable that they selected tHAt video as one of 5 finalists.

Well, Squeenix does publish Tomb Raider, so getting their customers interested in more branches of their product for full-spectrum selling power is in their best financial interests.

only to use us as a means to reach out to the "Tomb Raider Kid".

Because "Tomb Raider Kid" is going to be more likely to be reached by TDM? I doubt that's our primary audience.

A quick look at the finalists should strengthen any wavering resolve, TRKid basically asked for what is probably going to be a DLC anyway, a character skin pack. If those truly are all of the finalists, the motive in question for selecting those is self serving at best. That video of House of Locked Secrets should have been top 5 without a doubt, if judging purely by the merits of the work presented (or works of even higher quality, the 5 listed did not all push THoLS off the top 5, no way. A crow pet? What is this, Darksiders 2?)

Do not waste your time and effort with these individuals. Both Square Enix and EM only care about profit. They do not care at all about what fans think or the game structure is about. They just want to make secure profit by taking old franchises and use their fan base to keep money flowing. This is very similar to what I saw in DXHR. Both companies are mediocre. They WILL NEVER release a game that is true to the original concept because that will be putting the original creators in a pedestal and as consequence themselves down with little to no credit to take.

Do not waste your time and effort with these individuals. Both Square Enix and EM only care about profit.

They're a company, they shOULd care about profit. Without it, they don't exist and we get nothing at all.

They do not care at all about what fans think or the game structure is about.

That is their shortcoming. When the fans and general customers sing their praises, they make mORE money and perpetuate that money chain. If you give someone enough rope.... (they'll hang themself? (if you hadn't heard the expression before))

They just want to make secure profit by taking old franchises and use their fan base to keep money flowing.

That's the problem, making quickie remake/respawn/reimagining/continutations, basically anything that didn't have enough foresight going in to it decimates their fan base and the money doesn't flow. Taking the extra care/time/diligence to create what should be created and honor those that came before them is the right path and sets up a watershed of income for years to come.

Its all about the quick in, quick out, screw support, screw the modding community, screw everyone that is giving us their money... and that is why its hard for many of us to see any value in their work.

They're cutting their own throat and it really is sad. How many instances could have been better spent only to realize the fruits of their labor and the fruits of their labor would be plentiful vs. complete and utter community backlash and bad press.

• Like 1

Tis a bit of a shame nothing has come out of this contest as far as actual playable content is concerned. Most of us who have been around the modding and gaming scene for two decades are not impressed by simple texture repaints.

People were doing more advanced stuff than that with DooM and Wolfenstein 3D two decades ago.

In reality, those of you who design great missions for us to play (and the mod creators too) are the ones who deserve a nice, shiny new rig with lots of RAM and a great graphics card.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I agree with most of your comments Lux. They are indeed a company, tho their customer service sucks. The only positive is that this will give a bit of attention to TDM. Still, I'm pretty sure they wanted to use TDM fan base but making sure none of the attention goes to TDM but themselves.

We already got plenty of attention by being part of the announcement two months ago.

• Like 1

It's not coincidental that the ideas that the project have to do with their other titles, making money on back catalogue, etc. Thief is gone like Star Wars, crash and burn.

Seems like there are a bunch more videos now--up to 11, with some actual FMs, including Moonbo's! Now that's more like it!

Peter C.'s Thief 2 mission sounds pretty damn cool. :blink:

Maybe they plan to upload all the submissions, and they just started with the first (and therefore worst) ones they received?