The Dark Mod Forums

Screens/progress Of The Thief Model

Fingernail

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to post here how bloody good I think this looks. Omega, let me know if you need any more sketches.

Update - he has a hood, plus some more buckles. The hood is the big thing. Squinted the eyes a bit, slimmed the cheeks - jaw, upper lip, lower eyelid need work yet. Obviously needs hands, plus probably some more detail on the clothing, seams and suchlike, as well as all his props. The meshsmooth isn't optimized at all, either, so there are some floating elements (the little metal stud kinda things are the obvious examples).

Thief5.jpg

Edited by DeepOmega

Nothing in any detail. Garrett has been notoriously fluid in his appearance, as he has been drawn by many different artists. Ours just needs to look similar (since it isn't really Garrett anyway, *cough*) His face will always be in shadow anyway.

Edited by Springheel

Umm. So. I just lost the file for this. I had no backups. Or rather, I had many backups, but only in one folder, so they all got nailed.

Um. Yeah. I'm actually seriously in a terrible mood about this now - two or three weeks of work down the tubes. Will be taking a bit of a break before I guess I'll start it again. So.. yeah. If there's any really light 3D work you want done, I may be able to but that's probably it for a bit.

Eww, damn...never a good thing to happen

But it's also happened to us all, man. I remember way back in the day when I had a load of maps all stored nice and snug within my games directory...and I decided to uninstall Half-Life. Some of what I consider my best maps ever were gone in an instant.

A month and a half later, after I had the brace taken off my wrist, I started mapping again.

Seriously depressing. But what can you do =P

At least most of my work over the last 8 months or so has been non-3D, or work-related, so it's in different folders. Thank god. If I had lost all of my art, I would be in a hospital now =P

Well, what can you do. Springheel, if you read this, can you, ah, try knocking up some concept art of other characters? Guards would be ok, but the less thief-looking they are the better. Hammerites mayhaps? Anything to give me an artistic focus.

You should really backup everything that you have onto CD or DVD. If you don't have a place to put it all I could give you some web space to store it on.

-Phil

"The man who learns only what others know is as ignorant as if he learns nothing. The treasures of knowledge are the most rare, and guarded the most harshly."

I'll get to work on our Builder church- types. This is my first week back at work though, so you'll have to give me until the weekend.

ThiefNew2.jpg

See? Now he's green.

On the plus side, I've eliminated the obnoxious, squatty-looking style of the old version - now he's appropriately tall and muscular (arms are a good place to look to see the difference). The back is sculpted nicely, compared to before, and the armor has a bit more mass as well. Torso needs a bit of thickening, to match the armor on the legs, and he needs, you know, a head and hands as well - but you can see the progress.

Please remember that this is less than two days of work, from scratch. :)

Edited by DeepOmega

Please remember that this is less than two days of work, from scratch.  :)

I've done a lot of modelling for Thief II, and I couldn't do what you've done in two days in two months...

Great work, looks awesome!

Edited by Phantom

--=| Phantom |=--

Thief Underground

Wow, that was fast! Looks great! Way to make a comeback too...I'm glad you were able to recover after the loss. :lol:

Edited by Springheel

Very nice, DO. Love the bag. I had a couple thoughts. Would it be easier on you if we had our character wear a balaclava over his lower face? It would save modelling the mouth and would be another way to visually keep our character looking different. It can be a good look too. May be controversial, but I thought I'd throw it out there. How often will the character's face come into play anyway?

thiefhood.jpg

Also, I notice the edge of the armour has been modelled like a depression. My intention was that the edging be raised, almost like a seam. Probably not clear from the drawings. The way you've done it might be better anyway. :)

Edited by Springheel

I REALLY like that mask idea. A LOT. And not just from a holy-shit-easier-to-model standpoint, either. It looks excellent indeed, and it makes sense, right? Harder to see him.

As for the indent issue - I tried that first, but it didn't smooth very well, so I'm actually gonna do a combination. Right now I'm going through all of the edges of armor and adding a bit of a curve to the outside edges of the armor, so it's a bit raised. Just about every sharp edge is gonna get chamfered to a nice curve, as well.