The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 benchmark Results:

Bikerdude

Thought I'd start this thread as Im interested to see what other taffers are getting, can I suggest people use my results as a template so we can build up an overall picture.

System

--------------

Cpu: Core i5 2500k (stock clocks)

Gpu: GTX 670 (gigabyte windforce) w/314.22

Hdd: 256GB SSD (samsung 830)

Audio: SoundBlaster Z (latest)

Display

--------------

Fullscreen: ON

Exclusive Fullscreen: ON

Resolution: 1680*1050

Refresh Rate: -greyed out-

Vsync: OFF

Graphics

--------------

Preset: Custom

Texture Quality: Very High

Shadow Quality: High

Depth-of-field Quality: normal

Texture Filtering Quality: 8x AF

SSAA: OFF

Screenspace Reflection: ON

Parallax Occlusion Mapping: ON

FXAA: ON

Contact Hardening Shadows: ON

Tessellation: ON

Results - 64bit (latest version of the game 1.2 b4116.4)

--------------

Min Fps: 32

Max Fps: 92

Avg Fps: 63

Results - 32bit exe

--------------

Min Fps: 33

Max Fps: 94

Avg Fps: 67

Results - (same settings as above but at 5040*1050 resolution)

--------------

Min Fps: 20

Max Fps: 30

Avg Fps: 25

Comments

--------------

Well I gotta say, either this game is using some next gen techniques or what's more likely considering all the bugs people have been finding is the game is very poorly optimized. In the benchmark run-through I spotted half a dozen graphical and animation glitches.

[update] patches for the game are slowly being released, but we are still warting for the audio issue to be fixed.

System

--------------

i7 2600k Sandy on water @4.4Ghz

Game installed on Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB

780gtx (1x)

1920x1200 TN panels (3x) Res: 5916x1200 bezel corrected (which actually looks great with the fov at 110)

Onboard Realtek 889 hd audio -- game set to "speakers" and Windows set to 5.1 (only options for me in-game were "Speakers" and "Headphones")

Windows 7 x64 --running the 64bit .exe

Display

--------------

Fullscreen: ON

Exclusive Fullscreen: off

Resolution: 5916x1200(Surround)

Refresh Rate: -greyed out-

Vsync: OFF

Graphics

--------------

Preset: Custom

Texture Quality: Very High

Shadow Quality: Very High

Depth-of-field Quality: Normal (i hate dof)

Texture Filtering Quality: 8x AF

SSAA: OFF

Screenspace Reflection: ON

Parallax Occlusion Mapping: ON

FXAA: ON

Contact Hardening Shadows: ON

Tessellation: ON

Thief Benchmark Results

--------------

Min FPS: 23.1

Max FPS: 59.4

Avg FPS: 43.9

FRAPS actual gameplay benchmark Results (~59minutes)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Min FPS: 51

Max FPS: 65

Avg FPS: 60.41

Load times: Initial New game load ~11 seconds. Level load ~7 seconds.

Same settings as before except this time I turned FXAA --OFF and turned SSAA --HIGH

Min FPS: 18

Max FPS: 31.543

Avg FPS: 43

Comments

--------------

NOTE: Menus do not work correctly at this resolution. You have to scan around the screen with the mouse to highlight/click buttons however in-game everything is where it should be and works fine. Keyboard navigation in the menus is recommended using Eyefinity/Surround.

These FPS numbers were recorded after playing about 58 minutes of the game, until the initial game starting cut-scene.

Edited by Lux

Biker, have you tried first using FXAA and turning off SSAA. If that doesn't help with the FPS dips, have you tried running the 32bit .exe?

Others in the Eidos forums reported that with a Dual Core processor, running the 32bit exe increased performance.

• Biker, have you tried first using FXAA and turning off SSAA. If that doesn't help with the FPS dips, have you tried running the 32bit .exe?
  • Others in the Eidos forums reported that with a Dual Core processor, running the 32bit exe increased performance.

My first run through was with out-of-the-box settings, I haven't started tweaking yet. I will try both of the above and also on tri monitor nV surround when I get the time.

I also noted that people saying the game's implementation of SSAA was broken and that it can be turned off and you can use the Nvidia Control panel to activate SSAA and it doesn't have the performance hit. I'm going to try this when I get home this evening.

Others in the Eidos forums reported that with a Dual Core processor, running the 32bit exe increased performance.

Do you know how to do this with the steam version of the game?

@Springheel -- Only from what I've read.

Go to:

\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Thief\Binaries

DELETE the "Win64" folder

COPY the "Win32" folder, so it should be "Win32 - Copy" and RENAME it to "Win64".

Now steam will use the 32bit Version which maybe solve your problems.

Only thing I would add to that would be, make a copy of the Win64 folder prior to deleting it (or just rename it).

I guess you can also use Steam Verify Cache to fix any missing file issues anyway.

From This thread.

Edited by Lux

And apparently you can't just make a shortcut to the 32bit if its Steam. Steam will launch and automatically run the 64bit so you have to trick it is what I gathered from that thread.

I just saw and have updated my T4 fixes thread -

- http://forums.thedar...4-tweaks-fixes/

Well would you 'adam and eve it' -

Results 64bit exe (out of the box)

--------------

Min Fps: 6.1

Max Fps: 62

Avg Fps: 45

Results - 32bit exe (forced)

--------------

Min Fps: 30

Max Fps: 62

Avg Fps: 50

Nice! or should I say, rock 'n roll!

Now switch from SSAA to FXAA and you should be flying.

I've read the SSAA implementation is broken and I also noticed what some other brought attention to. They were saying the ambient occlusion was being applied after the fog was in the scene. I don't know if that is actually the case but there are a lot of weird things with it on.

Try FXAA and see what happens.

Edited by Lux

Try FXAA and see what happens.

Well you might not beleive this, but disabling SSA makes it worse, the average fps is lower by 2-3fps and the textures arent as sharp.

What I did find give a massive speed bump is enable "Exclusive Fullscreen" my results with SSA on high were as follows -

Results:

----------------

Min Fps: 41

Max Fps: 64

Avg Fps: 58

Wow... that's very interesting. I stayed away from exclusive because when I used it in Hitman it crashed the game but I'll have to give it a try.

That is more like what that card at that resolution should be doing though. I think you were way off target initially so its good you're dialing it in.

Edited by Lux

@Lux, just tried nV surround -

Results - (same settings as above but at 5040*1050 resolution)

--------------

Min Fps: 14

Max Fps: 28

Avg Fps: 22

During the benchmark I found lots of incomplete rendered objects, as I havent started playing the game yet what was it like for you on 3 monitors? was there amorphic stretching and the like?

There is some stretching as in all games and its evident in the screens I posted but I didn't notice any pop in. You may benefit when running 3 screens by using FXAA because of the VRAM footprint size. It should be much smaller.

I have not done any of the other tweaks mentioned though. The ones related to streaming texture could be causing the pop-in or it could be VRAM limitation.

Gah, I still haven't tried exclusive fullscreen but I'll do that now.

I did test SSAA off/FXAA off and turned on 4x in the NvCP but it had no effect at all. Jaggies everywhere.

Edited by Lux

Its not broken per-se, its ..relocated. I've had that issue with other games when using multiple monitors. Use the arrow keys and enter to adjust.

If you mouse around you'll see that off to the right and down (different with different menus) and by that I mean maybe an inch or two to the left of the button you're trying to click and down about 3/4" from the button you're trying to click, you'll see the buttons highlight. You can't click directly on them.

Its like the usable button overlay doesn't size correctly with the graphic. Either way the arrow keys and enter work fine.

Tested Exclusive Fullscreen with the same settings above using the FXAA setting and the results are both better and worse.

Minumum: 35 (lower)

Average: 54.578 (about the same)

Maximum: 76 (higher)

Weird result as they were more consistent with it off but that's using the 64bit .exe.

I think for play I'll go with FXAA and Exclusive off in my case and I'm going to lock in vert sync and play. I'm just past the initial Erin falls cut-scene and saved so I'm going to go from there.

Edited by Lux

@Bikerdude --as described above, when using multiple monitors sometimes you have to hunt around for where the buttons are. Here is how mine are if you use the mouse. If you use the keyboard you don't have this issue.

BPoaukc.jpg

So its basically like all the buttons are "actually" down a row and over to the right. If you mouse around you'll see what I mean as you'll see the buttons highlight when you're not over them. Just mouse in the general area of diagonal down and to the right. Some buttons like the little < > to adjust things are especially hard to locate and seem to be further to the right than the other buttons.

Edited by Lux

I would probably use nvidia's shadow play because it utilizes hardware encoding built in to the card and has like 2-3 fps perf hit but thank you.

I use fraps for screenshots and FPS numbers, that's it.

My system:

• Intel Core i5 3570k (overclocked to 4,0 ghz)
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Win 7 64-bit
  • AMD Radeon HD7770 1GB

My settings:

• Screen resolution: 1920x1080
  • Preset: Custom
  • Texture Quality: normal
  • Shadow Quality: normal
  • Depth-of-field Quality: normal
  • Texture Filtering Quality: Standard
  • SSAA: Off
  • Screenspace Reflection: ON
  • Parallax Occlusion Mapping: ON
  • FXAA: ON
  • Contact Hardening Shadows: ON
  • Tessellation: ON

My results x64:

• Min Fps: 0 << WHY??
  • Max Fps: 53
  • Avg Fps: 32

My results x86:

• Min Fps: 0 << WHY??
  • Max Fps: 58
  • Avg Fps: 33

Also I have the feeling that I have a lot of varies in the FPS in large areas. This is weird.

Edited by PsymH